Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookbooks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:48 pm 
Stegosaurus

Yeah I have World Vegetarian. It's mostly vegan...a few dairy dishes and a few with eggs...but most things are already vegan or easily veganized.

I need to make more dishes out of it...I've only tried about 5 or 6 so far.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:23 pm 
Finch

Vegan with a Vengeance is really good. I also make a lot of things out of "Vegan World". Also, my mom bought me Alicia Silverstone's vegan cookbook "The Kind Diet". Some of the ingredients are a little exotic, but the recipes sound really good and there are some macrobiotic recipes thrown in too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:01 pm 
Stegosaurus

I bought it a few years ago, decided I would never use it and gave it to an Indian coworker who is a fan of Jaffrey's with the understanding that all I wanted was one of the recipes made for me. She forgot all about it and then a few weeks ago I had cilantro rice and yellow dahl waiting for me on my desk at work :)

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 am 
Gorilla

Flytheveganflag wrote:
Vegan with a Vengeance is really good. I also make a lot of things out of "Vegan World". Also, my mom bought me Alicia Silverstone's vegan cookbook "The Kind Diet". Some of the ingredients are a little exotic, but the recipes sound really good and there are some macrobiotic recipes thrown in too.

Oh yeah, my boyfriend got me The Kind Diet for Christmas and I forgot to mention that. I've already tried out some of the recipes, and they're actually pretty good. I probably would never have tried kabocha squash before I had this book. The black soybean with kabocha squash stew is pretty good. I've also made the adzuki bean with kabocha squash stew a couple of times because I like it so much, and the lentil stew with yams. I don't remember the exact titles, but those recipes are all pretty good and very healthy, as near as I can tell. I tend to throw in twice as many legumes as she says and not use quite as much water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:26 pm 
Stegosaurus

Adena wrote:
I tend to throw in twice as many legumes as she says and not use quite as much water.

Thanks for the tip! I've been on the waiting list for that book at my library for what seems like forever...I think I must be coming to the head of the line soon!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:05 pm 
Rabbit

The only book I have is "1000 Vegan Recipes" - but I think I've only made one thing out of it, so far, because there are no pictures! I'm also thinking of getting "The Kind Diet."

What I tend to do is buy a few ingredients, then use Google to find out if there are any recipes that use all of them :) It actually works pretty well! :-D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:46 am 
Rabbit

these recipes are incredibly easy, and really good.

and this book isn't ALL vegan, but I'd say about 75% of the recipes are, and I'm sure you can veganize the ones that aren't:

then I have my vegan cupcakes cookbook, of course, that isn't at all nutritious :D

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:53 pm 
Finch

hey guys I'm definitely a newbie to this stuff and need a little bit of help. I'm trying to get more healthy in my life and my family's life but it's been tough. I'm looking for a healthy or vegan cookbook and I found this site http://www.squidoo.com/the-best-recipe-cookbook-ever-top-vegetarian-vegan-healthy-new-cookbook and I think the practical paleo: a customized approach to health by diane sanfillipo is something that i'm really interested in after reading some reviews. I was hoping some of you guys might have some experience with the book or suggestions for me. any help would be great!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:11 pm 
Rabbit

Have to say I'm disappointed no one's mentioned the Sexy Vegan here. Although he is pretty new on the scene and this is an old(ish) thread. It's my go-to book if I'm cooking for an omnivore I'm trying to convert. And his videos are hilarious. Also he replies to all comments and tweets and is generally a lovely person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKAKc8GfDp8

I have a problem with buying cookbooks too though. I'm forbidden (by me) from buying more till I've worked through at least 10 recipes from each of the ones I have.