Times are tough. Food that lasts?

mythil

Well times are currently tough, I'm by no means broke but I could do with slimming down a bit.. Wallet wise that is.

I know I can make decent chilli and freeze it to eat it later but I don't really want to live on chilli alone so does anyone know some good, cheap things that I can make and then freeze for the week?

Healthy goes without saying here I think

Tortilla soup freezes beautifully. I just use a jar of hot or medium salsa, bell pepper, 1 diced up tomato, 1 zucchini, 1 summer squash, 2 cans of black beans and some veggie broth, throw it in the slow cooker and maybe add some salt free chili powder in. I even make my own tortillas

When deciding if something will freeze well, I generally base my judgement on what I've seen in the freezer section of the grocery store. Soups, pastas and rice tend to freeze well. You can throw additional ingredients into your pasta or rice when you are ready to eat it. I imagine if you made your own veggie burgers or protein bars they would do fine in the freezer. Fruit and cooked veggies can be frozen.

Even frozen, different items only last so long in the freezer, so to be safe try to eat your frozen items within a few months.