OK...WTF...

vegdad

I didn't know where this should go so I put it here. We had homemade pizza tonight and I made my half without cheese (which tasted awesome, it was my first time having it that way) After dinner I just happened to read the ingredients on the pizza shell. Whey powder. Are we that consumed with this need for protein that we put whey in a pizza shell? So much for my week and a half streak of completely vegan Oh well, chalk it up to a learning experience and back to it. Had to vent

Yeah, it's just frustrating though you know. I've been so proud of myself lately. My appetite has shrunk, I have way more energy and I've actually gotten to a point where I'm comfortable and confident talking to people about my new lifestyle and then crap like this happens.

I'm not saying I'm second guessing or anything, it's just frustrating. Why on earth do we need whey powder in a pizza crust???? why god why

Whey isn't necessarily used for the protein content. It's used because it's a cheap by-product of the dairy industry, and it serves some purpose (feeding the yeast? giving a certain consistency? Whatever it does, I'm sure other ingredients could do as well, but perhaps not as cheaply.

I once bought some instant miso soup, and for some reason didn't read the ingredients until I was about to prepare it, and it had bonito (little fishies) in! I threw it out (but I couldn't 'unbuy' it).

It seems like whey and egg whites are in a lot of things.

It's not a need for protein, it's a need for animal protein.

At least your mother doesn't buy you food. A while back my mother bought me some bagels because they were "Wheat bagels", not caring to look at the ingredients, because they were "Wheat". I turned to look on the side, and see :

Contains milk, eggs and soy (I'm allergic to soy)

She does things like that often, and she never actually gets something vegan.

I turned to look on the side, and see :

And that's pretty easy to check nowdays--at least for the eggs, dairy, soy and other allergens.

I turned to look on the side, and see :

And that's pretty easy to check nowdays--at least for the eggs, dairy, soy and other allergens.

That doesn't mean my mother will.

Don't kick yourself over it vegdad - it was an honest mistake. As you and others have said, you have learned this product isn't vegan and you will move on. Keep up the good work and good for you for caring !

It's not a need for protein, it's a need for animal protein.

At least your mother doesn't buy you food. A while back my mother bought me some bagels because they were "Wheat bagels", not caring to look at the ingredients, because they were "Wheat". I turned to look on the side, and see :

I know first-hand that living with carnivoures when you yourself are a vegan is not easy - especially when others don't understand your choice... Due to circumstances i am not vegan but and ovo-lacto vegetarian, i just eat everything i can without the meat...

It's just one more year until i can do the shopping and cooking for myself... Hope it will be easier for you too when you're on your own!

Stay strong in will, that's all I can say! It will be easier in the future!

Whey is used as as a filler to keep dough from being too light and fluffy...not something most want in pizza dough. Good dough takes days to rise using heavy flour so the cheapies use whey to toughen it up. Kinda like what wheat gluten does/is. Anyway things seem to sneak in...a few times I have bought vegan breads in the past and I normally always check again even if I've bought it before...well I didn't buy Giant brand bread for a while...went back months later and saw the white bread from Giant had whey and the wheat bread had honey...same label too. You've just gotta try your best to make sure you don't get slipped something you don't want. Good job noticing though...you could have not noticed and you could have got in a habit of buying that crust and never looking again but you didn't so great job