Vegan recipes for infants

vegdad

We mostly gave our kids smashed up fruit at first. I know folks who would chew up foods to a fine mush and then give that to their babies. The idea being that besides chewing the food making it easier to swallow, the digestive enzymes in the parents mouth help make the food more digestable...

Just look at the regular Gerber stuff at the grocer. Peas are great and so are carrots. My mother made me pea and carrot baby mush all the time...carrots being the sweetest thing she would give me until I was atleast a year old. For a treat(my mom never gave me this but its a Filipino thing for babies) cook rice with alot more water than normal and keep stiring making it kinda like runny oatmeal. If you know your baby isn't alergic to soy you can add some soymilk(normally they use milk...sometimes even breast milk...cooking breast milk seems really weird)...or ricemilk(maybe overkill for this but I do it now)...and if your comfortable using it and know your baby can have nuts a little almond milk may not be bad...nuts are an iffy thing with babies. Then you can add some cinnamon and a little nutmeg...traditionally alot of raw sugar is added too but I'd use little to none for a baby.

After a year my mom kept making the same stuff but added bananas, papaya and whatever else you can think of but made sure I kept eating alot of carrots(I think thats why I can eat almost a 10lb bag in a day)

DISEASE PROOF YOUR KIDS by DR. JOEL FUHRMAN. get this book it is a must have for parents. he says bananas and avocados are ideal first foods.

what has worked for us has been:

guacamole

frozen banana/pineapple - whips up like ice cream.

blend avocado and fresh strawberries - taste just like yogurt.

sliced banana/honey or agave/raw cashew butter/pinch of sea salt

avocado/maple syrup/cocoa or carob/vanilla - tastes like chocolate pudding.

and of course, steamed veggies like carrots and peas are always good.

my baby has been eating salads (everything diced) since she was about that age. vinegar and all.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Texanyogi. I started my kids that way. As they got a little older I was very big on one pot wonders: lentil stew, curried veg stew, etc. I would just puree in a baby food mill and they would eat bowls of it completely seasoned!

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

you can make a great pudding.

you need a little carn starch and potato flour, you can add coco or vanilla and sugar. you mix it with soy milk over a hot stove and keep stiring untill the starch gelatinises. i'm not sure of the quantities tho. If you would like the recipe i will get it for you. it's 100% vegan and babies love it. it has a smooth texture..