tempeh?

muchidna

hi, i bought 3 packets of tempeh last time i was at the shops, i haven't cooked it before, but i just tried cooking it in a pan, with a small amount of oil, and some sauce, then put on skewers

anyway, the texture was very gooey, and very unappealing for me, how do you guys cook tempeh? i couldn't eat what i had cooked and threw some of it out

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe omit the oil next time? I've always made it in a pan, with some herbs, etc. tossed on top. I don't really like the flavor. When I make it I put in in taco shells, cut across the slab, fajita style. I have also heard of people baking it, which would definitely cut down on any remaining liquid such that might cause "goo."

I eat a fair amount of tempeh, but I don't like plain soy tempeh at all. The tempeh I get is 3-grain, and is a blend of soy, rice, and millet. It has a much milder flavor. I usually eat tempeh raw, only letting it sit for a few hours in some teriyaki or other marinade. The best way I've found to enjoy it cooked is baking it with a marinade. Teriyaki is by far my favorite, as the tempeh really soaks it up well.

• 1 month later...

Try Indo style Tempe and Potatoes.

The traditional way is to fry them for ages on low heat, and then serve with a sauce made from chilli, garlic, sugar, kafir lime, and a bit of salt. I've got a pretty decent, "Not really Indonesian at all" cheat that takes barely much less time or effort.

• Dice up your potato and your tempe into similar sized cubes. we're talking less than 2cm
  • You want to chuck all this in the oven to bake and dry out a bit, but because potato takes about a million years to cook, chuck only the potato in the microwave first for a headstart (don't put it in for more than a min at a time though)
  • Bake everything for a little while but take it all out before it starts to get golden
  • Chuck it all in a wok and stir-fry it with a little oil and kecap manis to your taste.

Serve as is or on a little rice, then throw on your favorite ass-bendingly hot sambal or indo chilli sauce

This has the added benefit of boosting your metabolism for a half-hour or so, haha