Surgical menopause

gts37

I am 40 yrs old and have been vegan for 1 year and vegetarian since 16. I am desperate for any advice I can get. I had a hysterectomy when I was 37 and my physical appearance has never been the same. I weight train and do cardio at least 3 times a week. I eat only whole foods during the week and have a "cheat" day on Saturdays which usually consists of french fries and some vegan bread with my last meal. I CAN NOT get my weight down. I am 5'2" and on average I would weigh between 115 and 120 pounds. Now I am lucky if I can get under 130. If there is anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Weight gain is normal after hysterectomy. You're obviously not producing sufficient androgen hormones. Are you doing any hormone replacement therapy?

I consume fresh squeezed carrot juice because Vitamin A regulates metabolism and also stimulates production of androgen hormones in adipose tissue. Other than carrot juice, make sure your Vitamin D levels are sufficient because you'll need Vitamin D to produce thyroid hormones and thyroid hormones regulate the conversion of beta-carotene into active Vitamin A.

What kind of whole foods are you consuming?

Thanks for the response! Yes I am on estradiol 1&1/2 mg. I can not get through a day without it. I tried for a year using every natural product on the market and nothing worked. I use it mostly because of the hot flashes. I have to get some sleep at night and now with the HRT I only get up usually twice a night. Good thing is that the HRT is derived from plants not animals.

I consume every vegetable there is. Every evening for dinner I will make a huge saled with all different veggies. Occasionally I'll use some vegan chicken strips or a veggie burger in it.

Is it possible to have too many calories from vegetables? I was under the assumption you could have as many raw veggies as you would like without it impacting the caloric intake.

Before I can offer some solid advice. I need to know if you live in a city with air pollution, smoke or subjected to cigarette smoke and/or generally inhale airborne toxins. Also, are you consuming any oils?

Yes we can consume as many raw veggies as we would like without it impacting the caloric intake.

• 2 weeks later...

Helpful links.

http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenal-health-2/dhea-and-adrenal-imbalance/

http://www.sharonostalecki.com/2012/key-players-you-need-to-understand-if-you-have-fibromyalgia/

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/androgen-production-and-therapy-in-women

Low DHEA -> Low Serotonin -> No Prostaglandin D2 production.

Prostagladin D2(PGD2) is made from Omega 6 fatty acids before bed time and you'll know that you're producing sufficient PGD2 when you can't fight the falling asleep feeling. PGD2 knocks us out into a deep sleep.

Have you asked your doctor about a DHEA pill?