7 Yrs Vegan, Brand New to Weightlifting...pretty confused :)

Snugs

Hey All, I've been lurking here for a few weeks and figured I might as well create an account and throw a few questions out.

As the title says I've been Vegan for a while but have literally never lifted weights in my life until the beginning of April. I have a physical trainer who's helping me learn the basics and keeping me motivated. My routine right now is lifting & physical complexes like Tacfit M/W/F and then running for ~20 minutes T/TH. It feels amazing and I'm extremely excited

I've always been skinny my whole life, was beginning to get a gut, and decided it's time (I'm 32 years old, 5'9'' 140lb with a belly). The gut is visceral fat as well which I understand is harder to work off, but I'm determined.

Beyond that I'm confused about a few things with regard to the optimal diet and any sort of supplements I should be taking. Before my workouts (not runs) I'm drinking a 6g scoop of Jarrow's creatine and afterwards I'm drinking the Vega Performance Protein Recovery with a scoop of Chia seeds and ground flax. Is there anything else I should be taking before or after a workout that will help to burn off my gut and build muscle mass? Zinc/Magnesium before bed?

For my diet, I'm removing beer first and am cutting out almost all bread or empty carbs. If it's high quality bread I'll have some but I'm curtailing my overall bread/pasta intake and focusing on eating purely veggies/grains/beans with minimal soy and seitan. Am I missing a crucial thing I could be eating that would help me recover faster or burn the gut off quicker?

That's all I got. It's only been one month but I feel amazing already and am looking forward to ultimately seeing my physical form change

Hi Snugs welcome to the group here. Sounds like you're off to a great start. A key is eating a variety of foods. Its easy, especially when you cut out a ton of things from your diet all at once to fall into a pattern of eating the same damn things every day/week/month/etc. Variety in your diet is important, getting your nutrients from food is more important that any supplements, not knocking what you are taking though, sounds like you are taking good stuff.

Lurk around the training journals for ideas for workout routines and meal plans. I get a lot of good ideas from other forum members there. Maybe it'd even be helpful for you to keep a journal your self. Good luck!

-Dylan

Thanks for the feedback Dylan and glad to hear you think I'm off to a good start! I eat a pretty massive variety of food so I should be OK on that front.

I'll check out the training journals for ideas and meal plans like you mentioned.

Thanks again,

Max (Snugs)

Hey Snugs, congrats on getting serious with the weightlifting. You will probably find that you are able to burn more fat with adding in weight sessions.

As for an essential food that will help you burn fat or recover....not really. It's all about consistency really. Eating a healthy and balanced diet and eating under your maintenance calorie level. Do you know what yours is? If you keep the diet in check and don't miss workouts, of course you'll lose weight/fat.

Agreed, you should start a journal. Could be a good way to get extra feedback and keep yourself dedicated .

Thanks Foods4Health! I'm actually not sure about my calorie maintenance level but am eating smaller portions for sure which I'm hoping helps in and of itself. Being skinny (cept that belly), I've always had the habit of filling my plate and eating until I'm stuffed vs eating a bit, waiting and seeing if I'm full etc.

A journal's not a bad idea! I have a food journal right now actually with my daily workout or run getting logged. May create one here as well and if anything it'll work well to keep me motivated.

Thanks again,

Max (Snugs)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update that things are going great! My stomach is A LOT stronger, the gut's slowly shrinking and I feel absolutely amazing. I'm doing a routine of weight lifting with some cardio MWF and doing Tabatas on T/TH. It's honestly amazing how much more energy I have and how great I feel.

In terms of my pre/post workout supplements on MWF (and I'd love some feedback) I'm doing:

Pre Workout:

Creatine (Creapure)

Beta Alanine (Cryosyn)

N'Gage BCAAs (Ajipure)

Post Workout:

Vega Protein Recovery

Mid-Day Drink:

Beta Alanine

Ultima Replenisher

Regarding the one thing that's probably sticking out there, the Beta Alanine, I've only taken it once (last Monday) and I'm not 100% sure I really wanna take it. I've read it can deplete Taurine but only with high dosages over an extended period of time. I'm taking a small dose and only 3 times a week, however, I'm not even 100% sure it'll help long term. Anyone else take this or have any comments?

Other than that, I absolutely love weight lifting and find it to be extremely satisfying.

Thanks,

Max

If you've just started lifting than it's a good idea to build strength first by doing big compound movements. Check out the stronglifts 5x5 program. Also look for a book called starting strength to get your form down. Build a foundation first than do isolation/assistance exercises to add to it.

I wish someone told me this eight months ago.