New to the forums!

Viridian

Hey everyone,

I'm a frequent member over at veggieboards, but they are lacking some bodybuilding advice and members over there.. soo now i'm here! I'm 21, and I've been veg for 15 months 25 days, not strictly vegan but im working my way there!

I'm an ectomorph and being slender never really bothered me until i went veg (trying to break out of the skin and bone veg stereotype.) I have only been lifting for 7 months, mostly strength training, but its become almost an addiction now. I'm 5'10 and when i started lifting i weighed around 125 lbs and had around 6% body fat. Since then ive only managed to put on 5 pounds and my body fat percentage has gone up to 8%. I've been binging carbs, beans, lintils, oats but all the raw fruits and veggies i eat make gaining weight a challenge! I have been drinking a whey based weight gainer (66gs of protein per scoop), but can only drink soo much of it before it slows down my digestive tract. I try to drink at least a scoop a day, half after my workout and another half later on after a meal.

Anyways, looking forward to learning the ins and outs of plant based body building! I don't want to just survive, I want to THRIVE!

welcome!

Personally, I'd ditch the whey protein weight gainer. better sources of more readily available amino acids/protein in whole foods. Plus, if you over consume protein you'll put on weight as fat (see the increase in your BMI).

For strength athletes, those numbers are even higher--generally between 0.7 and 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight," he says. If you've been shooting for a gram of protein per pound of body weight--or more--you're overdoing it. Your body won't be able to process those extra calories, and they'll ultimately end up as just one thing: fat. - See more at: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/protein-guide-maximum-muscle#sthash.bckWtS0u.dpuf

Of course likely to start verbal debate on that topic as opinions vary.

Could do with more info on what exercises you're doing? 7 months without much notable change could imply something isn't quite right. Though you mentioned you do mostly strength training (e.g. lighter weights, more reps) should be getting you toned if your diet is okay. But if more bulk is your goal, need to mix in size training (e.g. heavier weights, fewer reps). But do keep in mind, not all joints are the same, while a good build usually implies nice sized/toned pecs, shoulder really isn't designed as a load-bearing joint like your knee or elbow. Me, I got pretty severe shoulder pain with doing weight machines a lot with the standard exercises bench, shoulder press, in/out shoulder flys, etc.. muscles all around the shoulder need to be developed.....but I digress.

Lots of good books out there. THRIVE Foods Brendan Brazier, check out Rich Roll online.

Gotta go fuel up myself!