How do I get started?!

fitfulfocus

Hi there,

I'm Nicole, a (mostly) vegan fitness fanatic. My main sport is running, but I am looking into get more into weight training. I am reading Robert's Vegan Bodybuild & Fitness and am so inspired!

I know the basics of weight training (even did p90x a few months back), but my biggest question is the nutrition. The p90x nutrition plan is complicated and isn't vegan-friendly. I know Robert's 3000 calorie+ plans will be too much for me but I'm not sure how to tailor them for my needs. I don't know how many calories/protein/fat/carbs I should be eating to gain muscle but also to stay trim and lean. I was thinking of getting a trainer/nutritionist to help me get started and hold me accountable. Do any of you recommend anyone? I'd love to find someone in the NYC area.

Thanks for you help! I can't wait to get to know you all

Hey hi and welcome! Nice, you copped Robert's book, great stuff. I suggest posting questions to other people's threads directly. You might want to keep at training journal with us as you start lifting to track your progress, check out other people's here.

Hi! And welcome!

As a new Vegan runner, you might want check out Rich Roll (vegan, ultramarathon guy...has a great podcast too!).

Curious to see how your finding a nutritionist/trainer with knowledge for a veg/vegan lifestyle, and not just look down their nose at you and ask where you'll get your protein! LOL.

I thought I read that Tony Horton in P90X3 was going to add in some veg/vegan to the nutrition plan. Generally, I've been able to veganize pretty much any recipe. Also some great sources out there like JL Fields, and if you're on twitter there's a HUGE vegan nutrition pool of resources.

I'm probably better at tackling specific questions. Aside from general 2000-ish cals per day if you're fitness active, being plant based, I've not really worried much about protein/fat/carbs figures. Avoid processed foods mostly, get a variety of veg in your diet. Usually follow generic 'get some protein in meals throughout the day, be it from qunioa, green veg, beans, nuts, tempeh, tofu, and meat alternatives (the new Better than Meat just came out).

hit me up on twitter or here if you have particular questions. Happy to help with food questions, and maybe tweaking your workout routine. Maybe you can help me with some running stuff...recently started running again to up my cardio for fighting. Planned to run 2 5ks in May (only 3 miles though...really!)....

Thanks VeganBadass_CO and C.O.

I'll definitely keep a training journal and will have to look into Rich Roll, JL Fields, and p90x3.

VeganBadass_CO - happy to trade some running tips and hey, 3 miles is better than no miles!

• 3 weeks later...