Past/Present Food Addicts?

samnal

Hey! I have been an on and off vegan for 5 years now (I TRY but sometimes fall off due to food addiction). Actually, that is my primary obstacle (Food addiction). It's like cigarettes or alcohol for nicotine addicts or alcoholics, respectively. The reason why I am writing is, I am now reaching out to healthy people who may have over come this, to try to get help with and face my own problem, head on. Thus far, the plan I have developed on my own is (I welcome constructive feed back!):

- Exercise during my down time

- Read during other spare time (to learn and connect with other people's minds & ideas)

- Eat a high carb, raw vegan diet

- Spend time with people who support my passions and efforts (ie. Raw Vegans, recovering food addicts, positive people, philosophical and creative thinkers)

My primary struggle is eating healthy during work hours (I work a corporate job in tech sales - fairly high stress). Our kitchen is stocked with lots of goodies and and during stressful times, when I feel like avoiding making a work call (which is quite regularly), I eat. This solves nothing, because I still have to make the call, after mowing down. Now, this is my dream job - I couldn't be happier working at this company, and in this role, at this point in my life.

To build on that, I'll also eat instinctively, if I'm feeling discomfort during a withdrawl/detox. So, I really want to quit and get rid of this addiction, by permanently breaking this habit, but it is so difficult. I am going to have to face my own addictive patterns & the perception of others, right? In the end, I know I can do this (quit!) - it'll just take time & trial and error, but I am so frustrated at this point in time. I MUST (and will!) keep soldiering on, reaching out to people who are supportive, and trying to make the best choices possible, in each moment - one small (but big!) step at a time.

If anyone has been through this, I would love to talk, and build a support network.

Peace & love,

SS

Why not pack lots of healthy snacks for yourself? Sounds like laziness/will power issue more than an addiction. Robert who founded this company used to carry around a back pack full of healthy foods everywhere he went when he was competing.

• 3 months later...

That is so brave of you to write.

A friend of mine tried Overeaters Anonymous. There's also a book that could be really helpful: Overcoming Overeating, by Jane Hirschmann.

I'm no expert in this area at all, but some thoughts that came to mind are: Have you tried writing down what you eat, and next to each item, whether it was to satisfy real hunger or your addiction? This might help you gain some perspective/sense of control. There's usually a lot of emotions/patterns we're not conscious of that feed addictions, deeper than just having tempting food available to you at work. It actually sounds like the more interesting piece is when you are tempted: what is it about the phonecalls you don't want to make that are so unpleasant? Journaling could help give you some clarity to get to the root of the issue.

I wish you much strength and positivity in overcoming your addiction.

Love,

AnotherHuman

Sorry if I came across as a jerk, I just re-read what I wrote. Please forgive the lazy statement. I do think packing healthy foods so you have good options around can help with giving into junk food cravings though.