Hello!

emilypo

Hi! My name is Emily. I have been vegan for a little over a year and a half and absolutely love it. I found this website because I am typically raw vegan but some weekends I will eat vegan when I feel like I need a little more variety. However, I have toned a little bit and lost weight but I am having a really difficult time gaining muscle. I envy the girls in Bikini Competitions and definitely want to get on a regimen like that just for my own fun. I am thinking about kicking my raw vegan habit and incorporating more protein and getting a gym membership. I work out at home and tend to rely on primarily jogging with weight training and pilates. I definitely appreciate feedback on the best way to turn my body into a fat burning machine. Help!

Hi Emily!

Welcome!

Still learning more about raw vs not, so can probably share with each other.

My experience so far, gaining muscle will constitute 2 core items, carbs and protein. Yes you can get the protein you need from plant sources, but will have to do some thinking in terms of what is considered 'raw'.

I will offer up, having just done epic krav class tonite and checked myself out in the mirror, definitely getting more size, shape and definition from workouts at home and full body exercise than I ever got in the gym. Probably because I understand more about it all now than I did then, but definitely access to more equipment in a gym than you might have at home. Still, lots you can do with some weights (got my dumbells from walmart.com, some exercise bands or pullup bar (got reference for that too as 1st set I got broke after a while), using your own bodyweight, etc.

Diet gets to be key. Balance between 'lean' and 'fit'.

I think, depending on your routine, you can achieve the results you want with weight training, pilates (and yoga) and jogging. Depending on your financial status, there are some kick-ass total body (esp core) things you can do a few times a week that combined with weights, etc at home will work whole body....

Thank you! I decided yesterday to join a gym so I am definitely going to be spending some time there. I want to push myself and as far as weight training goes doing it at home can be difficult. For diet I am going to start incorporating more vegan burgers and things. I'll still be eating a lot of raw foods but, like you said, diet is key and so I picked up a soy protein powder and some power bars to incorporate in my diet. Thank you for the suggestions!

Good for you! Set the goal and GO FOR IT!!! And yeah, getting/staying motivated can be challenging at home, and sometimes need someone supporting and pushing you for 5 more reps, etc..

once you get going, if you've questions about how to pair up exercises check around on here. LOTS of good suggestions. Learned that my way of working out in days (okay --- years ago! haha!) by having arms day...chest/back day.....shoulders/legs...made sense back in the day, but was suboptimal for total body and max results from effort. And sticking with your pilates or trying some yoga to keep your core strong will help with everything else!

Oh the girls in bikini competitions are so gorgeous. I myself would love to be in a fitness competition. I hope you find all the answers to your many questions on this site. My advice.. lift heavy! Burning means it is working