New Girl

itworksbikinigirl

Hello! I'm super excited to have found this forum because I have a lot of questions about transitioning to a vegan diet while prepping for my first NPC bikini competition in September. Here's a little background for you...

I started training in January of this year at a competition prep gym. Prior to that I've never been into fitness. My life has always revolved around health and wellness and clean eating, but the fitness aspect of it was missing for me. Now I'm completed addicted to training and love it! The gym I'm a part of is a mix between Crossfit and Westside Barbell.

I decided to compete in March because I saw how quickly my body was changing with the workouts. At that time I was transitioning myself to about 90% vegan. When I decided to compete, my measurements were taken and I was given a diet plan. Of course that plan consisted of mostly protein with low carbs and even lower fat. I was very skeptical about the diet, but it proved to really shed the pounds quickly. However I went from almost complete vegan to eating insane amounts of meat and I hate it!

My goal is to get back to a vegan lifestyle, but I was recently told that there's no way to prep for a competition as a vegan if you have a meat eating coach tracking your diet. Right now I'm torn because I am now 12 weeks out from my show. I keep saying after my first show I will transition back to vegan, but I would love if I could make it possible in the next 3 months leading up to it. BUT, I just don't know how it would be possible. My body is dying for more fruits and veggies and less animal meat!!

Right now I have my macros to hit each day. At the moment it's 142g Protein, 65g Carbs and 33g Fat. I know I can get protein from veggie sources, but they also come with a lot of carbs as well. Does anyone have any advice on all this?? It would be much appreciated! Thank you for listening to my story!!

Hello and welcome to the community here. I would suggest for best luck getting your questions answered I would use the search in the upper right hand corner see what has been discussed before that you are interested in knowing. Also post specific questions on other people's threads. Maybe try posting questions on training journals of some of the other female athletes that do bikini comps?

Hi!

Typical reaction to taking diet guidance from non-plantbased trainer. Focusing on the longevity aspects, keeping your diet chock full of the rainbow of veg...and EAT FRUIT!!! Not sure what loading up on meat is doing other than triggering inflammation and pushing up all the bad aspects. Totally. Low carbs???? Where is your body getting energy from? Sourcing protein for energy is very suboptimal. Low fat? General term people toss around for paleo, but tosses out the good, essential fats your body needs with the saturated fat in all that meat

*sigh*

Going all paleo or atkin's for a short term might trim you up but isn't doing your body any good and you can't stay on that for long...unstainable. Sad that those in the business of training and nutrition don't keep up with new info and options and just stick with whatever they were taught as 'the right way'....be REALLY leary if the push crap on you like gatorade or energy drinks (aka poisons).

UFC fighters routinely have to build up and then make weight for their fights and Mike Dolce's guys eat earth-based foods, lots of fruit, and still make 7% bodyfat for fight day. He's not specifically a plant-based exclusive kind of guy, but whole foods, no processed junk. Eat 6 times a day, etc..

Serendipitously, Mike Dolce shares bikini weight-loss and anti-bloating methods in ELLE magazine. Offers techniques that will help youlook lean and trim. Random bumper-sticker of course...'for full bikini diet shredding plan check out 3 Weeks to Shredded.'.

Notice that the shred to prep for your contest, and for the making weight for fighters is a SHORT duration event. 3 weeks. Done, and then back to lean, clean, and in our case, plant-based whole foods lifestyle.

Concerned that it's early June, your contest is in September. 3 months is a lot longer than 3 weeks. The short-term high meat, high protein, low carb low fat diet probably will have short term positive effects on your body, but I'd worry that come 30 days out from your contest, what do you plan if you start actually getting soft in the mid-section, or see overall body fat INCREASE and then panic really sets in.

Generally, can't live at 7% or lower body fat all the time. Not optimal for training and may have negative health effects. SO...if you get ripped now...can it be sustained for 3 months?

Don't know myself, but sounds like questionable diet. There ARE plant-based ripped athletes.

No, I'm not a bikini competitor and no, I don't know everything and I try questioning what I do know, listening to what others say or suggest, and read-read-read. I'm sure (hopeful!) that others on here might offer up other suggestions too. Some which may align with what I think I know now, and some that might contradict and help me learn more too.

My current thoughts about your trainers suggested meal plan 3 months out from your competition have resounding "It's bullsh!t!" -- credited to Mike Dolce. Telling you NO/LOW carbs when you're trying to work out and sculpt your body without proper fuel makes no sense to me. Low fat -- yeah...Low SATURATED fats. Still need healthy fats for skin, hair and body function. No fruit? Really? Some of the links I posted below from other vegan/vegetarian bikini competitors helps show that there's a lot of references/resources out there. I like the ones talking about A) not feeling low energy or getting slow moving digestion from all that meat, B) DON'T count calories, make your calories count -- eat high quality nutrient dense foods (including FRUIT!)

In your own words you said, "Of course that plan consisted of mostly protein with low carbs and even lower fat. I was very skeptical about the diet, but it proved to really shed the pounds quickly."

Not surprising, but I would expect it to plateau and in time you'll start craving all kinds of nutrients that your body isn't getting. All that meat/protein can well start to show up on your belly stored as fat if your body's not using it all through training and recover. One of the links below talks about bumped up protein gms (but from plant sources), and also the need for clean carbs from veg and beans. Plant-based diet would also meet criteria for no/low bad fats in your diet, just the natural ones that occur in nuts, beans, grains, avocados, etc..So I should think you can achieve the nutritional content suggested by your trainer WITHOUT meats......

Just did a quick search and here's some links and text that might help:

How would you describe your nutrition program?

My nutrition changes depending on my fitness goals. I modified my “old” standard competition diet that was (5 times a day, every 3 hours) high protein animal meat diet to high quality plant based protein with fruits, vegetables and healthy fats. Some of my favorite proteins are hemp, brown rice, beans, seeds, nuts, and leafy greens. I love my healthy fats such as avocado, olive oil, flax oil, and nuts. As far as carbs go, I eat whole grains, beans, veggies, and fruits. I just watch my clean carbs when I get close to a competition or a photo shoot.

I used to be on a really strict competition diet but now being vegan; I eat organic plant based foods and don’t feel like I am on a diet. I listen to my body. I am more in tune with my body now, than I have ever been. Gone are the days of fad diets, “competition diets”, and being lost on how to eat. I feel like I have taken back control of my body. Aha! So this is what they say mean when they say lifestyle! LOL!

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_marzia AND ITS ON THIS SITE!!!! WHAT!!! " title="Applause" />

This sounds like you!

When I decided to enter my first figure competition last year, I followed a relatively traditional contest nutrition plan, which included chicken, fish, whey protein and some dairy. It was an emotional and physical challenge for me to eat that much animal protein on a daily basis. So after my competition, I transitioned back to my vegan diet......

Here is an example of a typical vegan contest prep meal plan for me:

Meal One

oats

almond butter

protein powder

Meal Two

veggie burger

apple

Meal Three

seitan (vital wheat gluten)

spinach

non-fat tomato sauce

vegan parmesan cheese

Meal Four

sweet potato

tahini

protein powder

Meal Five

large mixed green salad with cucumbers, onions, mushrooms, celery, peppers

veggie “beef” strips

Meal Six

protein shake

On a higher carb day I will add in more fruit, my protein “brownies” and “cookies”, whole grain waffles, and rice protein pudding.

Meal One

Protein pancakes

Fresh fruit such as apples, oranges, or berries

Meal Two

Protein “brownie” or “cookie”

Meal Three

Seitan (vital wheat gluten)

Roasted veggies such as eggplant, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and peppers

Meal Four

Whole-grain waffles

Peanut butter

Meal Five

Protein Rice Pudding

Meal Six

Large salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and mushrooms

Vegan “beef” strips

Meal Seven

Protein Shake

http://www.donloree.com/2011/08/22/no-meat-tons-of-muscle-interview-with-a-vegan-bodybuilder/

..You will see that my diet stayed consistent throughout my prep. I did not carb deplete, but I did focus on getting a lot of my carbohydrates from vegetables.

Last link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/95060661/Blogilates-Vegan-Challenge