New Vegan (Questions)

ledimir

Hello everyone,

I have been a vegetarian for about 2 months now and the transition hasn't been that difficult. I love it! I read Richard Parker's bit (one of the featured athletes at Vegan bodybuilding and Fitness) and am inspired to go full vegan. I haven't had much support from family and friends to be vegetarian and I presume it would be even more difficult on them for me to become Vegan. However, my concern is more with Protein and Nutrition for building muscle. I don't do any weightlifting (only Kalisthenics and cycling, swimming, running, and basketball). My muscle building comes from push ups, burpees, crunches, planks, and pull ups.

I would like any advice on protein shakes (I would need exact recipes). I want good quality recipes that are Vegan. Also, if you have any Vegan recipes in general that you would like to share, I'd appreciate that. Thank you all for your time and support as this journey begins.

Hi and welcome!!!

I'll just put it out there......with a diverse plant-based diet with good mix of veg, beans, grains (quinoa...yum!) and if you prefer some tofu, even some of the meat alternatives...with a calorie sufficient mix you won't have to worry at all about your protein.

Advertising has it spun up as the MUST have, and most get way more than they need anyway.

As you're just 2 months in, suggest getting a journal, capture your weight, measurements and some pics. Then as a few weeks pass, check yourself out. If you're losing weight or muscle or your performance is falling off, probably need some tweaks to your meals, not dramatic changes. And to me, better to learn how to eat proper, plant-based whole foods than rely on a smoothie to keep you healthy.

Depending on where you are, check out for other vegetarian/vegan meetup groups. Some support, some mentors can be a big help. And totally expect to get asked at random times 'where do you get your protein?' and all the other similar stereotypical questions.

I've grown a lot in the past 6 months with some slight changes to my diet, mostly quantities and timing of when I eat them around working out. Do have some NOW Pea Protein powder that mixes with everything if I know my foods on a day have been 'light'...but really try to go with getting what is needed from food.

Lots of podcasts you can check out too. Rich Roll is vegan super-runner guy and his casts are inspirational for finding your 'true authentic self'....just to name one. And with you're new lifestyle, and holidays on a few months away your present shopping will be easy, just ask for books!!!! Thrive from Brendan Brazier, Engine 2 from Esselton, and lots of veg cookbooks. Good resources online too. Check out JL Fields, or the Compassionate Vegan, and of course on here!!!

With your described exercises, I'd guess that energy will be more your thing. But as Mike Dolce advises.....Don't count calories, make calories count!!!

If you're getting enough calories from plant-based whole foods, eating till your satisfied (not till you're full), you'll be getting all the nutrients you need. And you'll get in tune with your body....when you randomly crave something, it's your body telling you it needs something and just go with it.....

Hi and welcome. I agree. You don't need shakes, you really don't need as much protein as you may think even for building and you can get tons of protein from plants. That being said if you're going to do shakes Vega is my recommendation, best ingredients and best taste. There are links all over this site for places that sell it. The veganprotein.com people are awesome, the owner is a great guy and a friend of Robert's, they are both vegan body builders as well as the owners partner and wife, she is also a vegan body builder as well.