2 weeks vegan, loss of energy for workouts

paullybase

Hi everyone,

My name is Paul Basenfelder, and I am newly vegan. Before going vegan for health reasons, I was working out with weights twice a week, for about an hour and fifteen minutes a shot (7 exercises, roughly 30 sets). Since giving up animal products and whey protein, I've noticed a sincere loss of energy for getting through my workouts. Perhaps it was all of the BCAA's I was taking, including the L-Glutamine, that were in the whey that supported my energy through workouts, but I'm really struggling to get through them now, whereas before it was pretty easy. I haven't lost too much strength, but it's more so the energy to get through that's breaking me. I'm not trying to get huge; I just want to be able to maintain and gain strength at a healthy rate. Perhaps, I need to eat more? Who knows? If someone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Best,

Paul

Hi Paul!

Me thinks we need to see more of what you are now eating and when. The things you've referenced that you've eliminated are mostly animal derived proteins, which while can be used for energy are in fact poor sources of energy. Probably need to see what you're eating to assess your carb intake for energy and your plant-based proteins and other nutrients.

Often on here, especially with new vegans/vegetarians, when they list their typical day's consumptions I'm like 'er...where are the vegetables?'

Some go to the straight up suppliments or vegan alternative shakes, etc.. Can be good in the transition phase while learning about actual plant-based nutrition and lifestyle.

As you mentioned your energy waning, I can relate when I started doing intensive fighting. Sucked the energy right out of me about 1/2 way through class. Didn't really change what I was eating, did make some adjustments in some of the quantities and timing -- now got plenty to spare! Started out with small changes....having some fruit in the car on the way to class was a big help, adjusting the time when I ate my lunch too.

Since making a few similar changes have actually gotten bigger than I've been before (muscularly, not just more weight...haha!) Probably make some adjustments to your quantities too...as plant based nutrients can be more body available, and like 100 cals of meat =/= 100 cals of earth-grown nutrients...

I'd say you just aren't eating enough. .

My missus maintains her weight and she eats like an absolute monster. For example, yesterday she ate 6 frozen bananas and dates blended into ice cream for breakfast. Then she had 6 rockmelons not long after. She ate 30 more bananas throughout the day. She baked 5 potatoes without oil and 2 sweet potatoes for lunch. Had 5 mangoes for afternoon tea. Had a bowl of homemade pumpkin and sweet potato soup. For dinner she had 4 sticks of broccollini on pasta. Then she had 2 full sushi rolls (homemade) with cucumber, bok choy, carrot etc on after dinner. At about 9pm she had another 5 frozen bananas and dates ice cream.

She eats like a beast, and she is NEVER low on energy. In fact, she is like a child! She does run 10k's every second day, but people are still shocked at how much she eats without putting on weight!

If you want to build muscle, you need to fuel up more

Good luck.

Mick.