Hi guys, after some advice.

Mickhead

Hello all, my name is Mick. I'm just about to turn 33.

I've been Vegan for about a year and a half now, my wife has been for about 4 years. I have two sons that are as well, the eldest is 14 and the youngest is 7.

I started doing weights about 2 years ago, and did them for about 4 months until I started having some problems with my back. I've only recently had surgery, as I had two prolapsed discs (L4-L5/S1) and had a double disc excision, so two discs half removed on one side. I also have scoliosis.

When I started weights before I was vegan, I was pretty unhealthy, as I was a smoker, drank lots of coffee and didn't sleep very well. I am just under 6 foot and my starting weight was 58 kilos! Over those 4 months of doing weights, I quit smoking first and I was eating 7 meals a day as well as a Maxx's Supersize every day. My weight at the end of the 4 months was 79 kilos, and I was very happy with my progress, mainly focusing on a strength routine and sticking to between 6 and 9/10 reps.

I had the bench press up to 80 kilos for 5 reps. Was squatting 100 kgs ( not a strong point from a weak knee due to scoliosis, and pelvic twist. My right leg is 1" shorter than the left! ) Deadlift was at 140 kgs for 10 reps. And then I did bent over rows, hang clean and press, triceps extension etc as fill ins.

Basically, I've done no weights for a year and a half. Started smoking again about a year ago due to depression etc, and my weight is back down to 64 kgs, and I'm dead tired of staring in the mirror at an emaciated unhealthy looking person. I'm quitting smoking tomorrow and want a fresh start. I want to get back into doing weights, but need a very careful program due to the recent surgery.

Basically, I've been told I can't lift more than 10 kgs indefinitely.

So ANY standing exercise is out for a while at least. That means NO squats or Deads (which I loved)

No standing shoulder, bicep, tricep exercises. . .

So, I'm after some ideas on some exercises laying on my back, and any other suggestions. I'll stick to preacher curls on the bench for biceps, and will also do pull ups/chin-ups.

Thanks for any suggestions, look forward to some ideas!

Cheers, Mick~

Welcome Nick. I would go with no impact like swimming and water weights and tension bands and yoga and body weight etc type of exercises. I wouldn't take indefinitely for an answer either. Maybe you just need a very long and careful recovery.