Hey I'm a complete newbie :-D

mpod001

Namaste,

My name is Martin and I am from Manchester, UK. I am completely new to body building but would really appreciate some helpful hints and tips on how to build muscle! My gym instructor told me that I would never gain ANY muscle being vegan (and he knows best apparently lol).

Thanks for looking

Martin

Hi and welcome Martin! I would read training journals, start your own, check out Robert cheeke's book as well as Derek Tresize's new book. You can also use the search button in the upper right hand corner to search key topics here.

• 3 weeks later...
Namaste,

My name is Martin and I am from Manchester, UK. I am completely new to body building but would really appreciate some helpful hints and tips on how to build muscle! My gym instructor told me that I would never gain ANY muscle being vegan (and he knows best apparently lol).

Thanks for looking

Martin

Hey mate,

Not that far from ya, am from Northern Ireland:)

The research is very clear Martin, a physiologist by the name of Professor Goldberg (out of Harvard Med School) a few years ago proved in several well conducted studies that muscle can be built on a near starvation diet, as long as 3 things are in place, A) the muscles are being properly stimulated B) and given enough time for recovery and C) progressive overload/intensity is being observed.

I would say that, dont be shoveling down everything and anything (aka "bulking"), focus more on nutrient uptake and proper digestion, its not so much a case of "you are what you eat", rather, more a case of you are what are your metabolism does with what you eat.

If its hints and tips you would like, i would recommend you look into High Intensity Training...

In particular the work of Mike Mentzer, Dr Darden, Drew Baye and John Little....

Hope this helps and best of luck

Rob