Vegan Bodybuilding and flexible dieting (IIFYM)

KathyT

Hi all,

My name is Kathy and I am from Australia (Adelaide).

I am currently training with a coach that does flexible dieting but am starting to wonder if it is suitable for Vegans? I find I am having to take a lot of protein powder (vegan) in order to hit my macros because I am cutting the carbs have dropped.

While I am enjoying the workouts and the gains/strength I have made, I am finding that I am waking in middle of night with stomach pain and nausea which is only eased by eating something carb heavy - like toast or rice cakes. As time goes on I am finding a definite lack of energy ( I do eat vegetables and fruit) and it is starting to impact on my life

Can any one give me some advice or what you would do in this situation? I am thinking I might need to switch to a Vegan trainer who understands vegan nutrition better.

Any help would be appreciated.

And so glad to have found this forum

We're glad you found us as well. Lots of Aussies here. Best advice just research and ask questions on specific individuals pages that are active on the forum. Using the search button in the upper left hand corner can also be a helpful tool.

• 3 weeks later...

What kind of protein powder are you talking about? Rice, pea, soy? I found that when I was doing a high-protein diet (which meant like 2-3 shakes per day) I became very sensitive to soy. I also had terrible gas, bloating, cramping, etc. It wasn't fun. The pea protein was hardest on me, to the point that I just stopped consuming so much protein. Now I'm doing as close to 80/10/10 as I can muster (except weekends), and I'm building more muscle than ever.

• 4 weeks later...