Canadian Vegan looking to get back on track!

melissalepage

Hey everyone,

This intro post may end up being a little long, but I joined this forum hoping/looking for a good support group where I could gain useful knowledge, mutual motivation, advice-sharing and form connections with like-minded people.

I've been vegan for about 2 years now, before that I was a "social vegetarian" and vegan on my own time, I thought I would be an inconvenience to the people around me - Clearly, I've gotten over that silly notion. I am 5'7/8" and currently weigh in at approx. 130-135lbs. My metabolism is not the best, and if I want to lose weight I have to work really hard at it - with food and fitness.

Starting in the Winter of 2012/2013 I had a steady workout routine (which included a good balance between yoga, cardio and weights), and used MyFitnessPal to track my food intake. It worked very well for me - I lost fat, gained muscle, and was leaning out nicely. I was doing a lot of reading and educating myself, and I was saving up to start a holistic nutrition program - I was feeling really good about myself and life. In the Summertime, I would cycle and stay active with outdoor activities, going back to the gym when Winter came back around.

Summer 2014 I made a big change in my life, I moved from one big city to another and I ended up not adjusting very well - It caused me to lose all motivation and drive I had for anything, including my spot-on and ever-growing fitness goals and eating regime.

I tried joining a gym after a few months of feeling sorry for myself, and I tried to get back into a clean eating routine, but I simply could not make it work like I used to. The gym was dreary, nobody was friendly and I dreaded going for the short workouts I had planned for myself.

As someone who suffers from depression and anxiety, I had also recently weaned myself off of my high dosage medication; I was drained, depleted and completely unmotivated, so I gave up.

In January 2015, once again I tried to muster up the energy and same drive I used to have, I decided that maybe what I needed was a new way of working out, so I ordered Insanity Max 30 and bought a DVD player; It is now September 2015, and I still have yet to touch my DVD set.

My current eating habits are unstable; I like to aim for eating a lot of fruit and veg, drinking mainly water or fresh juice, staying away from soy/soy products (though I do enjoy a "fake chicken" here and there, and a decaf latte from Starbucks), I have guilty pleasures that I do not indulge in very often. Breakfast is rare for me these days and I know I am not eating enough. When I was younger, I struggled severely with disordered eating and it still haunts me to this day, even though I know in my right mind that skipping meals will NOT encourage weight loss or healthy living, I simply cannot help but self-sabotage myself at times.

I am really hoping for some good advice on how to get back on track, what are some good ways to ease myself back into a fitness routine and make sure I am eating enough? Should I go back to MyFitnessPal? Should I forget Insanity Max 30 for now while I get back in shape or do I jump into it? Are there any good light work out routines I can find on youtube?

I am open to any and all advice, as long as it is kind and open-hearted/minded. Thank you so much for reading this, and I am really looking forward to hearing from you guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey how are you doing?

Wow that's quite the intro. I don't have time to address everything but I think you should focus on eating healthy whole foods and not skipping meals. Also focus on physical training. Pick something you are interested in like trail running, calisthenics, powerlifting, rowing, swimming, biking or some other sport you can get interested in and stay interested (motivation). The benefit is staying power in something that requires a lot of physical practice.