I want to learn about weightlifting

Ubik

I've been a near-vegan for about 20 years, but have decided to become vegan after learning more about the dairy industry.

I'm not super fit. I don't lift weights because of wrist, knee, and foot pain. However, I would like to try. My doctor says its nothing more than arthritis and weightlifting will help; but I don't know how to get started. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

I'm a 40 year old female.

One problem I've never been able to overcome is wrist weakness and shakiness that gets worse as the months go by with lifing small dumbells. How do weight lifters deal with that? I find it very debilitating as a I type a lot at work. My forearms and grip strength get weaker as my biceps get only marginally stronger. It doesn't seem like a reasonable trade off to me.

I second the suggestion for a trainer. You can learn about the sport, develop good form, be held accountable, understand the meaning of a hard workout, and learn a ton of exercises. I wouldn't buy past 20-30 sessions though. Gyms close often, and some trainers are flakes. I'd start out with the free one, and get as many free sessions as possible before you find someone you like. Then buy a few at a time.

I'm not a trainer, but I worked with one for about a year. Great money spent, long time friend, and really helped me stay fit. I gave it up when he moved on from the gym, and I had learned enough to train myself. Kinda miss it though, but wouldn't trade anything for my home gym.

Hi Ubik,

I would recommend you look into a form of high intensity, low force training called superslow, whereby you move resistance very slowly (to kill momentum and inertia), this creates a deep level of fatigue without exposing your joints and connective tissues to a lot of wear and tear.

Here natural Mr USA Josh Trentine BB champion explains and demonstrates the method (which was actually first developed in the early 80s as a way for woman with osteoporosis to safety strength train).

And here is Josh doing a great presentation on HIT..

Diet wise, id recommend you look into trying intermittent fasting (if you havent already), its a great way of reducing inflammation:)

Best of luck

Rob

My suggestion...(and 1st, welcome to the party!)...

Start out with basic body weight exercises, focus on form. Will help you build up balance and stability in your joints as you mention. And best of all, no equipment required at first. Core work, all kinds of push-ups, pull-ups (will need a bar for those obviously), planking, body weight squats, calf raises, chair dips, lunges, burpees (when you're ready!) and so on. You can tone up, firm up and strengthen up before needing any kind of weights.