Hello! Happy to find you all! Cutting vegan and curious.

nomadvegan

Like the title of this post, I'm a cutting vegan, and I'm curious. I haven't been a vegan for long. So I'm first torn about how to build an appropriate meal plan for cutting, namely because of the protein target rules of thumb that are sometimes conflicting in bodybuilding. For example Michael Matthews, the author of "Bigger Leaner Stronger" advocates 1.2g protein / lb of body weight. I've also heard authoritative guidance for 0.8g / lb of lean mass. Either equation leads to a significantly different result.

training history,

- I'm a 35/m, I played varsity basketball in highschool, and have increased in weight from around 145/150 lbs from high school athletic days to around 195 at my highest. Since going on a vegetarian diet and working out more regularly, I've reduced my body weight to around 166 lbs. I'm now converting to veganism (woohoo? ) and am curious about the tradeoffs. Meanwhile in my training I'm focusing on cardio & resistance, with one day devoted to each. I do HIIT cardio on a spinning bike, generally using the "Aaptive" app (LOVE it - Kelly is my hero, if you guys are curious); as far as resistance training goes, I do a combination of machine weight exercises focused on both upper and lower body. I do 1 warm up set, and 3 sets of 4-6 reps to failure, starting with the heaviest weight first. My left shoulder is rehabilitating (rotator cuff) so I use the "Cable Cross" equipment at my gym. Do you guys know what I'm talking about? I assume so. I understand that free weights are better but I'd like to heal my shoulder before going over into that territory, unless it's critical that I switch now, on say, lower body?

how long you've been vegan,

- as stated above, I am literally just now turning vegan! Hail Seitan.

share some of your goals and

- Cut to 12% body fat from 19% body fat. Then, do a clean bulk?

some of your interests

- I love to learn about food and ingredient history, especially now that I'm focusing so much on preparing my own food and entering it into MFP (MyFitnessPal). I'm also a digital nomad, hence the username. I love reddit. And journaling.

Protein requirements are based on your goals...and everyone's goals are different, which is part of why the recommendations are all over the map.

If you're resistance training, I would consider 1.2 g/lb of lean bodyweight the minimum intake...and that is provided your protein source has a complete EAA profile. In other words, stop praising seitan (soy)...it is not a complete protein and therefore not effective for building muscle. As a vegan that is trying to build muscle and lose fat, you need protein with a complete EAA profile. PERIOD. (not only have I personally experienced this, but there are plenty of studies to back that up)

However, if you strive to be skinny-fat, stick to the "get protein from nuts, lentils, kale, soy" camp...lol.

I'd suggest cutting lower...like 8-10% BF, then clean bulk. You certainly can add muscle while losing fat, btw. Your insulin sensitivity will be higher at the lower bodyfat and your body will be more efficient at nutrient utilization as you ramp up your calories and output at the gym.

I've been in a maintenance mode for the last month...I go for at least 300g protein/day at 207-209 lbs and 6-7% bodyfat. I'm about to start my bulk to [hopefully] 220-225, and I'll eventually get my protein to over 400g/day.

I've been vegan for over six years, so absolutely no meat or dairy. I try (lol) to limit my seitan/gardein/beyondmeat/etc. intake to one package per day, and yes, I heavily supplement with rice, hemp, and pea proteins. All my carbs and fat come fruit and vegetables (and nuts) which have some incidental (read: insubstantial) protein. (no grains)

Once upon a time, I tried getting it done with soy proteins only...but it was very clear that my physiological limit was highly restricted.