1. Chest Fly x 15

2. Split Squat x 15

3. T's x 15

4. Side Lunge x 15*

5. Curls x 15

6. Hamstring Curls x 15

7. Tricep Ext. x 15

8. Ring Dips x 15

First attempt at full on training with the rower, and I have to say, that thing is no joke! After even a couple minutes I was winded, so I had to slow my strokes down and focus more on form. I ended up just trying to keep an even rhythm, and making sure I exhaled through each pass. Either way, this thing is awesome!

I was pretty well spent after the 10 minutes on, and didn't feel like lugging about a bunch of weights, so I just set up the TRX for a quick circuit. Still sore from Thursday's training, and a little tired this morning. Resting through the weekend, though I might hop on the rower in the morning. Back on Tuesday for legs.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad just looked on the previous page! That things awesome!! Looks super retro aha! Rad posing

P.s

I have the exact same shorts as you and wear them absolutely all the time!!

Ahha! I thought you'd like to posing lol. Dude this thing really kicked my ass today. If you can convince your lady, I think it's totally worth the money. If you can't, come for a visit and use mine!

That's funny rowing was on today. No idea how they manage to race in those things. 2 minutes in and I was dying!

Love my Adidas shorts mate, practically live in them on weekends. Reminds me of my soccer days!

Tuesday, August, 25, 2015:

AM Session

Row - 2500m, 10:27.

Did this HIIT style, with 10 moderate strokes, followed by 10 as quickly and with as much force as possible. Really focused on driving with legs, as opposed to relying on upper body to draw. After my legs were like spaghetti. Consequently, doing legs this afternoon lol.

Hopefully I'm not totally spent!

Tuesday, August 25, 2015:

Weight Session - Legs

1. Squat - 3 x 10 @ 295lbs

2. Weighted Squat Jump - 3 x 12 @ 25lbs

-

3. Side Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 110lbs

4. Side Squat - 3 x 12* @ 110lbs

-

5. Hamstring Curl - 3 x 20 @ 45lbs

6. Calf Raise - 3 x 20 @ 110lbs

I can see now that my plan has me doing 2 a days for workouts. I was worried about energy levels for weights today, but I felt great the whole time. I guess that means I get to eat more! Well, not much more, but maybe a little. I really hope to see some new results with this stuff as I feel I've plateaued a bit in recent past. Happy to be making strength gains with squats, but everything else seems kind of stuck.

Got outside and stained our back deck today. Was awesome to be outside in the sun and cool breeze - a very quiet day. Much needed. Tomorrow: AM Row, PM Chest/Arms.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015:

Chest / Arms

0. Cardio - 2500m row; 11:10 minutes

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 190lbs

2. Skullcrusher - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

-

3. Decline Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

4. Curls - 3 x 12 @ 85lbs

-

5. Around The World - 3 x 12 @ 30lbs

6. Cross Curls - 3 x 12* @ 50lbs

Kinda slow on the rower today, but I did my meters just before hitting the weights. Definitely put a bit of a drag on lifting. Really noticeable DOMS in my hamstrings today. Maybe bad enough to get out the roller and really put the hurt on. Incline bench followed by any tricep work is pretty awful, but not surprising. Still noticing good benefits from the BCAAs (taking them before, during, and after training). They really help me plow through the shit when I want to just go upstairs and crawl into a jar of peanut butter. Been craving more fats lately. Noticing some significant tapering in lats/shoulders today in the mirror. Though I still have some softness in the lower belly, I can definitely see some striations in my front delts, and veins in the arms and legs. Not sure what the hell is up with my belly/lower back the bastards. Can't be a simple as cutting oatmeal, no? Delicious oatmeal, and protein powder.

AM Cardio only tomorrow. Have to do a work function thing that I secretly want nothing to do with, but I guess it's getting close to that time. Much rather be spending the day at home relaxing. I'll get into back/shoulders on Friday.

Thursday, August 27, 2015:

Fasted Cardio - 3000m row, 12:00 minutes.

Note to self, 3000m is significantly more difficult than 2500m. Did these as intervals too, which was misery. Stood up with jello legs. Lower back a bit stiff today, and chest DOMS like crazy.

Back/shoulders tomorrow. Not sure if rowing is wise given training planned.

Friday, August 28, 2015:

Back/Shoulders

0. Warmup - 2 Minute Row

1. Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 210lbs

2. Delt Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

-

3. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12* @ 100lbs

4. Single Arm Shoulder Press - 3 x 12* @ 100lbs

And then I crapped out...

Wanted to do pullups and lateral raise at the end there, but I missed a meal, and ended up training through what was supposed to be my lunch time. End result? Hungry/stomach cramps during last set, lack of focus, general disinterest in training. I'm putting too much on my proverbial plate during this time off, and it's stressing me out. During my stupid work function last night I got pressured into participating in a 5k during my last week of vacation. Fuck that shit. I fucking hate organized races, group activities, and planned things. Alright, enough complaining. Maybe I'll come back and rip through those pullups/lat raises later on today. I need to get out and mow the lawn, and clean up the house. Never a dull moment, even on vacation!

Rowing/TRX tomorrow.

Saturday, August 29, 2015:

Rower / TRX Circuit

Rower - 3000m, 12:30minutes, 10/10 cycle

TRX Circuit (2 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes)

1. Close Grip Press x 15

2. Side Lunge x 15*

3. Wide Grip Pullups x 12

4. Split Squat x 15*

5. Supinated Row x 15

After rowing, I could barely get the courage up to make it through the circuit. I honestly felt like I was going to puke the whole time on the TRX bands. Anyhow, I'm starving, and don't want to waste more time on the computer today. I have some cooking to do before our party tomorrow. Oktoberfest!

Nice log you got here Chris. Looks like you have made good progress since you started. What are your stats now? And how old are you?

Hey thanks man. I'm currently 5'7", approx 170lbs. After I did the 80/10/10 thing last year I haven't been able to get below 165 for about a year (I went from 248-155 in 2012; when I became vegan). I'll be 35 at the end of September. If I were to guess my body fat I'd say about 18%, which is a bummer for me because I'd love to be around 10%. Although I'm getting stronger, I seem to keep about the same level of body fat. Not really sure what to do to really lean out. Kind of why I bought the rower - to keep cardio consistent. What about you? Thanks for reading!

I'm 5-11, body weight fluctuates between 183-187 @ approx 12-15% bf. I got pretty serious about powerlifting a couple years ago and got up to 205 at around 18-20% bf but I was so slow and most of the women around me said I was getting too big. I changed up my training to prepare for the Heartland Fire Academy last year and slimmed down to 190 and stayed between 190-195 at 10-12% after graduating the academy in December 14. In the last 2 months I've dropped a few lbs of muscle and hope to rectify that before starting my next academy for San Diego in November. I'll be turning 40 in September.

I'm 5-11, body weight fluctuates between 183-187 @ approx 12-15% bf. I got pretty serious about powerlifting a couple years ago and got up to 205 at around 18-20% bf but I was so slow and most of the women around me said I was getting too big. I changed up my training to prepare for the Heartland Fire Academy last year and slimmed down to 190 and stayed between 190-195 at 10-12% after graduating the academy in December 14. In the last 2 months I've dropped a few lbs of muscle and hope to rectify that before starting my next academy for San Diego in November. I'll be turning 40 in September.

That's awesome dude! And funny what you say about the women around you haha. Good luck in the academy man. That sounds exciting. I was pretty scrawny at 155, and feel better at my current weight, though I do still get sticker shock when I step on the scale. So now I go by how my belt feels lol.

In your academy tests are you running flights of stairs? I'd be dying.

Monday, August 31, 2015:

From Saturday the 30th:

Rowed 2500m in 9:14. Really tried to maintain a steadier pace instead of alternating strokes. Afterwards had a party where I drank too many beers and ended up passing out by 9:30. Spending today eating cookies, and Mexican food. Feeling fat.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015:

Legs

0. Warmup - Rower 2500m, Time 9:45

1. Squat - 3 x 10 @ 295lbs

2. Squat Jump - 3 x 12 @ 25lbs

-

3. Stair Climb - 3 x 4 Flights @ 70lbs

4. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

-

5. Reverse Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

6. Belt Kicks - 3 x 20

More functional than typical strength training today. Needed to get my ass into the gym as I felt like crap since Sunday night; and the continued un-checked eating through most of Monday. Felt pretty poor going into the workout, but heaps better now that I've managed some sort of effort for the day. Still, getting to this later than I would like. I still haven't managed the courage to get myself up around 5am and hit the rower for a true morning session. Really going to try for that tomorrow. I'd like to make it a habit before a start the new gig. Otherwise, it's hot as hell out, and I'm ready for fall temps. Eating back on schedule, hopefully good sleep will follow.

Finally, have noticed significant strength gains in my legs since getting the rower. Squats today at 295 felt really easy compared to last week's effort, and considering I was feeling like shit earlier, and literally came straight from the rower before my attempts. Pretty pumped about this!

AM row and Chest / Arms tomorrow.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015:

Chest / Arms

0. Row - 2500m, 9:15 Minutes (getting faster!)

1. Bench - 3 x 12 @ 205lbs

2. Tricep Dips - 3 x 20

-

3. Decline Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

4. Close Curls - 3 x 12 @ 75lbs

-

5. Chest Pullover - 3 x 12 @ 75lbs

6. Decline Hammer Curls - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

Everything about this rower just keeps getting better. Form is better, time improved, and I think I can see some fat melting. Going to work more on doing a longer rowing day on my non-weight training day, but keep thinks more steady-state than HIIT style. Have been able to keep the machine at about 40 strokes per minute, which is about 8-10 meters per stroke, I think. Either way, this thing was a superb purchase.

Weights today were good. Supersetting triceps with bench is tough, and really makes me realize how much bench works triceps; way more than I realized. I need heavier dumbbells if I'm going to really hit the flys harder. New office building has a gym with "machines" in the basement, so maybe I'll hold off on the purchase until I scope this place out. I really hope I'm not working hours long enough to necessitate using that gym. If that's the case, I'll be pretty pissed. Anyhow, none of that kind of thinking until I'm in the situation itself.

Rowing tomorrow only, and getting some mechanic work done on my car before our weekend getaway. Deadlift/Shoulders on Friday.

Everything about this rower just keeps getting better. Form is better, time improved, and I think I can see some fat melting. Going to work more on doing a longer rowing day on my non-weight training day, but keep thinks more steady-state than HIIT style. Have been able to keep the machine at about 40 strokes per minute, which is about 8-10 meters per stroke, I think. Either way, this thing was a superb purchase.

So jealous.. Haha, looks like I might be getting one for my birthday though bit late for cutting I know but it'll be nice on back and bis day for warming up /for cardio.

Where are you off to this weekend dude? Hope you have a good'en!

So jealous.. Haha, looks like I might be getting one for my birthday though bit late for cutting I know but it'll be nice on back and bis day for warming up /for cardio.

Where are you off to this weekend dude? Hope you have a good'en!

I see you'll be getting your way anyhow, at last! Headed up to Madison, Wisconsin for a couple days. This is the place we plan to move to sometime next year if everything works out as it should. It's a lovely town of about 250,000 people, sits on an isthmus (between two beautiful lakes), has a big university, plenty of culture, and more vegan/veg friendly restaurants than Chicago! Also, it's home to some of the best beers in America, if not the best within a 30 minute drive. Should be an excellent time!

Thursday, September 3, 2015:

Row - 20 Minutes, 3,946 meters.

Kept pace at between 32-34 meters per minute, but here and there added in a few 100 meter sprints just for fun. This was not as hard as rowing HIIT style, but I bet I could have sat on there for another 20 minutes no problem. I'll be keeping this as a regular day from now on.

Back/Shoulders tomorrow. Really going to try and get up for a morning row so I don't put one in right before deadlifting. I think my hamstrings would snap!

Friday, September 4, 2015:

Shoulders / Back

1. Sumo Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 160lbs

2. Circus Press - 3 x 15* @ 35lbs

-

3. Row - 3 x 12 @ 170lbs

4. Delt Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

-

5. Pullup Trio (Neutral, Chin, Wide) - 3 x 12

6. Lateral Raise - 3 x 12 @ 30lbs

Really didn't want to train today, and just kind of went through the motions on this, if I'm being honest. Starting to feel the homesickness I'm sure to experience when I start the new job. Obviously I'm conflicted about the next step, and what it will mean for my personal life. I'm confident it's really a fear of the impending change, but I really hope that my near and distant professional future will not require a total sacrifice of the things I find most important on a personal level: family, and training. If I can keep those two things in my life at the same level I have now, or even slightly greater, I'll be fine with whatever comes along professionally speaking. Anyhow, I don't want to waste another minute sitting here when I could be doing something else.

Rower and TRX tomorrow. Maybe some flexibility stuff.

I love Madtown. I grew up in WI and lived in Madison for 3yrs. Lovely place. Summer days hanging out with the local musicians at SteepNbrew on state street. Ahh those were the days.

Dude, there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not thinking of how much better our lives would be if we were there. I grew up in Springfield, MO, and the only other place that's ever felt like home to me is Wisconsin. We thought about moving to Milwaukee, which is one of my favorite places on Earth, but kind of decided it would be a bit of a lateral move from Chicago. Chicago is a miserable place to live, and I'm that SD shares many of the same faults. That being said, we are ready for a big change of pace and lifestyle. I've been in Chicago for 16 years, which is far longer than I ever thought I would stay. But, it's taken a toll on me, and I need to get out to grow as an individual. Maybe it's ironic that we'd choose a place so much smaller, but we have a lot of goals coming up in the future (kids, more family oriented lifestyle, desire for space in our living setting, a real back yard), and that stuff is much more feasible in Madison. Hell, I'd prefer to live in the woods - but I think my wife would rather have something in the city.

We love hanging out on Willy street so much. We always stay right around Willy/Jenifer, right next to the Coop. Shit man just thinking about hitting up Mother Fools for coffee in the morning, and then going to Tex Tubb's for tacos gets me misty eyed. It's amazing how much more we value our time and each other when we are there. It really feels like we are living our lives for ourselves, as opposed to living for the city (Chicago). Just the 4 minute commute means I'd have over an extra hour to spend doing whatever in the morning. Last time we were there I went on a bunch of networking meetings, which was so cool as everyone was extremely friendly (the Wisconsin way).

The morning of my first big meeting, I woke up very early, ate a leisurely breakfast, got in a solid workout, took a shower, shaved, cut my hair, and then I had an hour to kill before I even had to leave. My wife gave me a lift to the office, and when I realized how quickly the commute went by, I literally shed a tear. It was shameful and embarrassing how much time we've wasted just sitting in traffic, or going from place to place on public transit with all the homeless people, crazies, and everyone else jammed in, showing no respect for one another.

I have to stop myself, or I'll just go on a rant about how terrible it is to live in Chicago; and unless you've actually lived here, most people don't understand. It might be a fun place to visit (if you stay downtown or over by Wrigley), and it's fun when you're in your 20's, but any longer and you'll find yourself at 50, crass, uncouth, rude, and just downright deeply depressed.

Anyhow, I'll post up some pics from our trip man - make you jealous I CAN'T WAIT!!!