Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 803 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: a new start
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:11 pm 
Elephant

Had shoes professionally fit today, then jogged 1 ml. on a cinder track in aprox 14 minutes.
Haven't run since 6 weeks ago, when I hurt my shin, causing a limp, which hurt my knee. I recovered using accupuncture, a Chinese herbal formula, chiropractic and RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) I'd been running for 2 weeks after many years of not running.
I'm over 5'10", over 210# and over 45" at my waist's relaxed equator! My ayurvedic constitution is Kapha-pita (123) I do a lot of heavy lifting during warehouse work for the charity I founded.
Today I ate ww bread w/margarine, strong black tea with fresh ginger, rice milk and unsweetened soy milk. Later, after running, I ate a pound of tofu fried in sesame oil with onions, garlic and hot pepper. I added Braggs and yeast. My supplements were a dose of psylium husk and a natures plus multi w/min.
My goal is to reduce salt, oil, caffeine, starch, and late night meals and to increase pepper, fruits & vegetables, both raw and cooked. I eat no white sugar or any sweets. I will again eliminate the little white flour I eat.

Post subject: yoga
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 pm 
Elephant

Did my first full yoga session in many years today, trying about a dozen postures and teaching my 12 yo daughter, too. Who'd have thought it would be more challenging than 25 years and 50 pounds ago? I have zero ill effect from yesterday's run, except it was hard not to run again last night or today! I plan to integrate some weight training along with my yoga and running, and have the goal of doing one of the three each day, but not doing any one of them two days in a row, allowing for rest from each.

Yesterdays food finished with miso soup with brown rice and spinach and then pistacios. Today I had oatmeal with real maple syrup and cinnamon, and garden fresh salad & o/v. I'm going to have some gimme lean sausage for dinner.

I feel really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:31 pm 
Elephant

Keep it up!

Post subject: another run
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:12 pm 
Elephant

Jogged further and faster today, 1 1/4 mls in just over 15 mins. I broke a sweat and breathed heavy, but didn't over do it. I'm driving a mile to a track until I'm confident I'm not going to get injured again. I enjoy concentrating on the run and not having to watch for cars, pot holes, etc. Most especially I' want to try and stay off the hard surfaces for a while.

Today I had oatmeal and banana for breakfast, a falafel sandwich for lunch and brown rice & pinto beans w/ spinach for dinner. Additionally I had my multi vitamin, psylium and a couple pints of unsweetened vegan chai.

I'm a little tired, but in a good way. I was feeling some memory of yesterdays yoga session earlier today.

May all beings be peaceful. May all beings be happy. May all beings be free.

Post subject: oops
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:16 pm 
Elephant

:oops:

Last edited by John V on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: another day
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 pm 
Elephant

My only exercise today was breaking a sweat putting away a few pallets of food using a hand truck.

Breakfast was gimme lean sausage, lunch pb & vegan cheese on ww. Cherry-apple juice this afternoon, chai morning and evening, psylium, multi. Dinner was 9 corn tortilla tacos with beans & rice, salsa and vegan cheese. Now I'm going to have a banana cocoa rice milk smoothy.

Tomorrow is a run day. Yea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:05 pm 
Gorilla

You're doing well John! Keep it up! :)

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians."
-Linda McCartney

Post subject: Re: another day
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:35 am 
Elephant

John V wrote:
My only exercise today was breaking a sweat putting away a few pallets of food using a hand truck.

Last time I checked, palettes can weigh upwards of 1000lbs; that's still exercise!

Keep up the good work.

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Post subject: Re: another day
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:48 am 
Elephant

Lean and Green wrote:
John V wrote:

Last time I checked, palettes can weigh upwards of 1000lbs; that's still exercise!

Keep up the good work.

Yeah, I used to do that at my old job. They can be pretty demanding.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Post subject: sweat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:51 pm 
Elephant

Still sweating profusely from my 1.5 ml jog in the mid day sun with high humidity. I've heard every pound of fat has a mile of capillaries. I guess for now my heart's pumping an extra 50 miles!

Had tortilla chips and salsa after my late night smoothy yesterday. Had a little puffed wheat with half a banana and a sip of rice milk, followed by pb & vegan cheese on ww and chai for breakfast. Had 1 banana, some unsweetened soy milk and pb smoothy for lunch. For dinner I plan to have brown rice and a pound of fried tofu,w/braggs & yeast. Of course I'll have more chai, but first I'm going to chug some psylium in water.

BTW some pallets of cased cans can weigh over 1500#. Last month I loaded our van, then unloaded, hand trucked and stacked, 5,000# of cans in letter carrier cases from the post office food drive in about 2 hours. That's my idea of fun!

Seems like it's going well. Thanks for reading.

Why did the Bodhisatva cross the road?
(to see the chicken safely to the other side!)

What kind of jokes do vegans like?
(corny)

Post subject: 95 farenheit and humid!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:49 pm 
Elephant

Sweating it here at my ghetto chateau with no a.c.!

Finished consuming with kidney beans, a beer, tortilla chips and salsa last night. Today I ate pb vegan cheese on ww, chai, avocado/lettuce/red onion/nayonaise on ww, tortilla chips and mashed avo w/lemon juice and garlic powder. Now I'm going to have a banana/blueberry/unsweetened soy milk smoothy.

peace!

Post subject: happy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:05 am 
Elephant

My run left me happy this morning. I increased to 7 laps, or 1 3/4 mls I believe, in about 22 minutes.

Last night I had cherry/apple juice for my late night snack. This morning I had a banana/strawberry unsweetened soymilk smoothy to get ready for the jog. After my shower I'm going to have some scrambled tofu with tumeric, black pepper, yeast, Braggs and garlic powder. I'll have chai and some ww toast w margarine, too.

My appetite seems to be growing, which is from an increasing metabolism, one of my main goals. Running seems to trip a switch that allows me the impulse control to limit my caloric intake, also. Week 2 seems off to a good start.

Post subject: rest, food
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:11 pm 
Elephant

Last night vegan cheese, lettuce, ww, mayo, red onion, rye crisp, not chicken soup. Today pb, ww, banana, corn on the cob, margarine, boiled soy beans, chai, psylium, multi.

Post subject: Re: happy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:10 pm 
Rabbit

John V wrote:
Running seems to trip a switch that allows me the impulse control to limit my caloric intake, also.

I find this too! But with any intense cardio. I started my day with a game of squash and for the rest of the day resisted the most tempting nonvegan treats with no problem.

Good job with your running!!! Pretty soon the 1mile to the track will be your warm up. Years ago I took a running class, learned to run, it's so much fun.

Post subject: 2 mls
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:06 am 
Elephant

Last night I had green olives.
2 mls took around 26 minutes today.
I had a smoothy w/ pb, banana, acai Amazon berry super antioxidant juice blend and my multi before hand. Now I'm drinking more of the acai blend. Next I'm going to have chai, scrambled tofu and toast w/margarine.
It's another scorching hot day here and during my jog I kept flashing back to 20 years ago, when I spent the Winter in Miami and felt I wasn't satisfied with my 31" waist and my 7 ml runs. I did Nautilas 3 times a week then as well! To quote Dylan: "Oh and I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 803 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next