Lentil's Journal

A new year brings new goals. I was really inspired by Matt Frazier (the No Meat Athlete) on setting goals (http://www.nomeatathlete.com/new-years-goals/). My goal is to start and maintain a better lifestyle. I want to eat foods that are more nutrient dense and actually use my gym membership. I will be working on the specifics over the next few days and will post them here on Thursday. Until then I will update this journal to include things I am proud of as well as those things I wish to change.

I was pretty happy with the foods that I ate today. Brunch consisted of a root vegetable hash, homemade waffles, lentil patties, and a lot of fruit.* I drank more coffee than I should have, but that is something that I will be working on.

After brunch we took the dog on a two hour hike.

For dinner I had a some fried tofu, a variation of a bean salad from the Vega community website, and a root vegetable hash with avocado and greens.

Tomorrow I plan on riding my bike to a morning meeting and taking the dog for another walk. I will also try and hit the gym.

*All food is vegan and homemade.

I wasn't able to make it to the gym, but I was able to do some bodyweight training. I also had two meals that were inspired by the Thrive Diet. Additionally I made some progress on writing out my New Year's goals.

Tomorrow I plan on excercising in the morning and eating more raw fruit, nuts, and veggies.

no meat athlete is a great site I use too for recipes and overall just good info! how fitting that your last name is Lentil! power up on the Lentils!!

No Meat Athlete is great! Do you have Brendan Brazier's books?

My last name isn't really Lentil, but it is my nickname!

Today was a fun day. I ate a lot of fruit coupled with Thrive Almond/Flax burgers (http://www.nomeatathlete.com/thrive-diet/), a couple of avocados, and greens. I also made it a point to drink a good amount of water.

I wasn't lacking in the physical activity realm either! Fortunately I have a job that keeps me active. Working at an out of school program allows me the allows me to play awesome sports such as KICKBALL. . .and that's what I did.

I haven't made it to the gym, but I have been eating more nutrient dense food and keeping active. I am also in the process of finishing up my written goals (which will be posted on Thursday).

no meat athlete is a great site I use too for recipes and overall just good info! how fitting that your last name is Lentil! power up on the Lentils!!

No Meat Athlete is great! Do you have Brendan Brazier's books?

My last name isn't really Lentil, but it is my nickname!

wouldnt it be great if your name was lentil though?! hahaha sweet nickname

yes I have a few of brendans books! such great info! his books and this site were really the turning point for me with veganism.

I didn't have a chance to post this yesterday due to limited computer access.

Yesterday I worked on my goals as well as focused on eating properly. I brought fruit and nuts to work to replace the pretzels and crackers that seem to be everywhere. The nuts were in the form of Brendan Brazier's almond flax patties. I also made it a point to drink more water and less coffee.

Since I work at an out of school program I am able to move around a lot. I took a group of kids outside to play djubi (http://djubi.com/). We also played a variety of mind challenging games.

Thursday I will post my goals!

2012 Goals

In 2012 I plan on improving my overall fitness AND lowering my stress levels. How will I do this?

Fitness:

My short term goal is to get in shape to complete the Kansas City Warrior Dash (and by finish I mean finish in the top third). To do this I will go to the gym three days a week and complete a workout routine which focuses on HIITs and muscle development and tone. My routines will be developed and encouraged by Thrive Fitness and the Primal Blueprint (my diet will not be influenced by meat fetishists). When not at the gym I will focus on body weight exercise and moving frequently. I am fortunate to live near a trail that makes it easy to take a walk through the neighborhood. With that being said, I can also take a nice walk through the neighborhood.

I also plan on running a 10K. November seems to be a good time to do this.

I don’t have to lose wieght, but I could actually stand to gain a few pounds and develop muscle. This is what I will be focusing on while exercising. The other component, however, is diet. I currently eat a vegan diet. In 2012 I plan on eating much closer to the Thrive Diet. I have already been adding Thrive recipes into my normal routine. It has been surprisingly easy to switch recipes over. I have to get better about my weekly meal planning to make this a total reality.

The last piece in this puzzle is keeping a journal. I will have a public fitness journal at Vegan Bodybuilding that will be complimented by a private journal. There will, of course, be some overlap.

I will add my stress goals soon.

I made it to the gym yesterday and it felt great. I was able to do thirty minutes of cardio, a third of which was HIITs (30 seconds on/30 seconds off). I was also able to do a series of the Lunge Bicep Curl and Shoulder Press. I spent a good hour and a half at the gym followed by a nice walk.

My pre- and post- workout meals were influenced by the Thrive Diet.

Today I'll be working around the house. I'll try to make it to the gym to do another thirty minutes of cardio, but at the very least I will do body weight excercises and eat awesomely!

Yesterday was supposed to be a gym day. Instead it turned into a day filled with stressful meetings. I quickly realized that I need to figure out a better way to deal with stress. The difficult part, I think, is that fitness and diet will probably help out with 90% of the negative stress. Due to the nature or my schedule, however, I wasn't able to eat well or make it to the gym. This is something that I am realizing that I really have to work on.

I really need to figure out how I can fit working out into my schedule.I have been able to hone in on eating a better diet and I am active, but I am having a hard time getting to the gym. Part of this is that I work from 8:00 - 7:00, Monday - Thursday. I can usually fit two days in on the weekend. How do I get motivated to do this?

I think that I am going to start going on Wednesday mornings. I'll have to figure out a meal plan for this. Any suggestions would be great.

My workout plan will involve 30 minutes on an elliptical (approximately 10 minutes of which will be HIITs), Lunge Bicep Curl and Shoulder Press, and squats. Any input is appreciate.

With that being said, yesterday I played a few games of kickball and balltag. I also ate some amazing salads and grain/soy free pizzas.