Kane's Training Journal

Today was one of my off day from the weights, all cardio today. I did some 2 sets of 25 jump squats and 3 sets of 40 push ups this morning. Around 5pm I went for a 4 mile run and finished it in 34 minutes. A little slower than my normal pace, but I am avoiding being too sore after my leg workout Friday. My diet today has been almost completely raw stoked on that. Didn't realize it until this evening when I ruined it with a burrito. Still a very healthy day for me. Going to squeeze in a light abdominal workout before bed ( some planks, and crunches). Hitting the weights again tomorrow! Can't wait to see the improvements in my journal:)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2: Chest and Back.

Today I warmed up on the stationary bike with a 7 minute 2 mile workout. I stretched for about 5 minutes after the bike then hit my real workout:)

Workout:

jumping jacks 3 x 15

push ups 3 x 15

bodyweight squats 3 x 15

Inclined dumbbell bench 45lbs x 10 for 3 sets

declined dumbbell bench 45lbs x 10 for 3 sets

dumbbell chest fly 40lbs x10 for 3 sets

bench press (flat) 195 x 10 for 1 set 185 x 10 for 2 sets

dips 2 sets of 15 and 1 set of 12 til failure :/

bent over barbell rows 95lbs x 10 for 3 sets

narrow grip lat pull down 105lbs x 10 for 3 sets

wide grip lat pull down 115lbs x 10 for 3 sets

dumbbell good mornings 35lbs x 10 for 3 sets

my diet today consisted of a smoothie for breakfast (2 bananas, 1 cup of blueberries, oats, peanut butter, soy milk, hemp protein powder.) i had an orange with the smoothie.

for lunch i had a large salad with pecans, oranges, red onion, cucumber and no dressing. with 1 whole sweet potato and some okra. also had a nitro fusion protein drink with lunch.

dinner was tofu and shiitake mushrooms, rice noodles, kale and cabbage. with another protein drink and clif builder bar to finish my protein intake for the day. had one more orange 2 hours after dinner.

Tuesday: Biceps/triceps

5 minute full body stretches

1 mile run on treadmill in 7 minutes 50 seconds

15 jumping jacks

15 push ups

15 jump squats all for sets of three circuit style ( big thanks to Robert Cheeke for the suggestion in his 2011 workout!)

Machine preacher curls 80lbs x 10 for 3 sets

dips 3 sets of 15 (alternated between dips and preacher curls for supersets, no break)

tricep rope extension 75lbs x 10 for 3 sets

straight bar cable curl 75lbs x 10 90lbs x 10 75lbs x 10

concentration curl 20lb dumbbell x 10 for 3 sets each arm

skullcrushers 50lbs x 10 for 3 sets

alternating hammer curl 20lbs x 10 for 3 sets

overhead dumbbell tricep extension 50lbs x 10 for 3 sets

EZ bar curl 50lbs x 10 for 3 sets

I forgot to intro whether or not I'm vegan and all. I have been vegan for nearly 2 years and 6 months, I am 23 and recently picked up fitness as a hobby about 2 months ago, never felt so good. I decided that the best way to show how truly great the lifestyle is, is to be the best example I can be. I want to be a personal trainer soon, currently looking into the profession. Also considering switching my diet to mostly raw, if not completely. today's diet was only whole fruits for breakfast, a little peanut butter, big salad with nuts for lunch. An AMAZING raw vegan wrap dinner that blew me away, got the recipe from Vegobsession.com < good friend of mine runs the site, she's absolutely amazing at what she does. please check her out.

Cardio day! I usually always take wednesdays and saturdays off from the weights and do some cardio or yoga, if not both. Today I ran 7 miles in 58 min and 44 seconds. Very proud of the improvements I have seen in my cardio in the last two months. I just signed up for my first 5k at the end of this month. I am feeling very positive about it. Once again my diet was pretty good today. I have been sticking to whole fruits for breakfast for a while now, occasionally with oats and peanut butter. Had a vegan burger today, for dinner, few oranges, bananas and kale spread throughout the day. Definitely didn't consume what I feel I should have but work slowed me down on eating really bad. Tomorrow is shoulders. STOKED

Shoulders

warm up with full body stretching

15 jumping jacks

15 push ups

15 bodyweight squats circuit style, 3 times through the sets

handstand pushups 3 sets of 10

front raise 15lbs x 10 for 3 sets

lateral raise 15lbs x 10 for 3 sets

rear delt raises 20lbs x 10 for 3 sets

didn't go too crazy today on my workout, feeling slightly bummed because I believe I have a strain in my left calf. Not that my calf would affect my shoulder workout much, but it put a damper on my day.

diet today was pretty much 2 oranges, 1 apple, 2 bananas, a clif bar, bowl of oats, few tablespoons of peanut butter, greens salad. still have one more meal left in the day. haven't decided what I'll eat yet. considering making a raw wrap again sounds good

Chest and Back 1/6/12

I'm late posting Friday's entry. Got home late from work and didn't have it in me to type it all. My left leg is still bothering me enough to have to skip my leg workout. I didn't want to skip a day so I went back to chest and back since they felt fine. I didn't overwork them so that I'd be ready to get back to schedule on monday.

Did 2 miles in 7 minutes on the stationary bike

15 jumping jacks

15 crunches

15 squats circuit style for 3 sets each ( subbed crunches for push ups since it's chest day and my workout includes push ups)

Flat dumbbell bench 50lb dumbbells x 10 for 3 sets

incline dumbbell bench 40lb x10 for 3 sets

decline dumbbell bench 40lb x 10 for 3 sets

cable flys 110lb x 10 for 3 sets

dumbbell pullover 35lb x 10 for 3 sets

wide grip pull down 115lb x 10 for 3 sets

narrow grip pull down 105lb x 10 for 3 sets

cable rows 105lb x 10 90lb x 10 for 2 sets

good mornings 25lb weight over bench x 10 for 3 sets

push ups 3 sets of 20

did a few supersets with antagonist muscle pairing in my workout. really liking the way this set up feels, this is my second week with this exact workout and I feel like I'm figuring out what works for me best.

My diet yesterday was awesome. Whole fruits for breakfast and lunch (bananas, oranges, and an apple) some greens in a salad before my workout. after my workout I had a Vega protein bar and a sunwarrior protein drink. This was my first time with the sunwarrior brand, I love it. At work I picked over some vegetables while the shift was going on. When I got off I cooked an awesome meal with my lady:) Pasta Della California. I wanted raw but she insisted on this dish, definitely a awesome meal from the Veganomicon. Check it out:)

biceps/triceps

no cardio warm up today. just full body stretching

15 jumping jacks

15 push ups

15 squats circuit style for 3 sets of each

machine preacher curl 80lb x 10 for 3 sets

dips 3 sets of 15 done as supersets with preacher curls

straight bar cable curl 75lb x 10 for 3 sets

rope triceps extension 75lb x 10 for 3 sets

concentration curls 20lb dumbbell x 10 for 3 sets with each arm

overhead dumbbell triceps extension 50lb x 10 for 3 sets

skullcrushers 50lb x 10 for 3 sets

alternating hammer curls 20lb x 10 for 3 sets

EZ bar curl 50lb x 10 for 3 sets

Not my normal schedule still due to a leg injury. The strain in my left leg seems to feel better each day, still avoiding running for cardio until it's been given ample time to heal. I keep reading that it is best to avoid running for a few extra days to a week after pain subsides just to ensure its fully healed.

breakfast was on orange, 2 glasses of water and a clif bar

lunch was leftover pasta della california ( has broccoli, avocado, arugula, peppers)

post workout was a huge tempeh hoagie with onion, peppers, lettuce and whole wheat bread.

dinner will be a large green salad with raw onion, tomato, snap peas, and sprouts with some almonds and a clif bar.

water consumption was way up today:) getting plenty hydration lately

today is my off day from training. still did some stretching for the morning with some extra attention to my left leg. Feeling much better. Actually got out and played a little basketball and felt pretty good.

Breakfast was 2 glasses of water 1 orange, 1 apple, and a banana.

lunch was almonds, butternut squash salad, and a potato knish.

dinner was vegan pizza with tomatoes, olives, peppers, onions and artichokes.

chest/back day

warm up with 7 minute 2 mile stationary bike again

15 crunches

15 jumping jacks

narrow grip pull down 105lb x 10 for 3 sets

bench press 135 lb x 10 155 x 10 135 x 10

wide grip pull down 115 x 10 for 3 sets

cable flys 115 x 10 for 3 sets

decline dumbbell bench 45lb dumbbells x 10 for 3 sets

incline dumbbell bench 45 lb dumbbells x 10 for 3 sets

cable rows 105lb x 10 for 3 sets

good mornings 25lb plate x 10 for 3 sets

dips 3 sets of 15

hopefully this week will go as planned with all of my workout days. Didn't miss a day last week, but couldn't do my last cardio day or leg workout because of my calf. My leg is feeling great the last two days! Excited to wednesday for cardio:) looking to get a good 4-7 miles depending on how good the leg feels on my run.

breakfast- 1 orange, clif bar and almonds

lunch- soy protein drink with clif protein bar and vegan nachos

post workout- another soy protein drink and orange and a banana

dinner- vegan mashed potatoes:)) chik'n patties and a soy protein shake with my chocolate soy protein and bananas:)))

Thank you Karen. That's very kind. The leg feels so good today:) fingers crossed for tomorrow, its my scheduled cardio day. going to try and run a few miles. Naturally, my journal will tell how it goes haha.

Biceps/triceps

warmed up with another 2 miles on the stationary bike in 7 minutes

full body stretching

15 jumping jacks

15 crunches

15 squats circuit style for 3 sets (referenced it earlier in my journal, but I really want to point out how much I love warming up this way, Thanks to Robert Cheeke's layout)

machine preacher curls 85lb x10 for 3 sets

dips 3 sets of 15 done in supersets with preacher curls

straight bar cable curl 90lb x 10 for 3 sets

triceps rope extension 90lb x 10 for 3 sets

concentration curl 25lb dumbbells x 10 20lb dumbbell x 10 for 2 sets

overhead dumbbell triceps extension 60lb x 10 for 3 sets

skullcrushers 60lb x 10 for 3 sets

hammer curls 25lb dumbbells x 10 20lb dumbbell x 10 for 2 sets

Ez bar curl 60lb x 10 1 set

I took the weight up on a few of my lifts this week. Could definitely feel it. By time I got to the EZ bar curls I was pooped. Felt great though. Planning to change things up this next week. Torn between wanting to gain mass or definition. Doing a ton of reading lately on all options, gotta love Veganbodybuilding.com for all the info on workouts and nutrition. )

Diet was awesome today, until the end.

Breakfast- 3 bananas, 1 kiwi, 1 orange. soy protein shake

lunch- clif protein bar and soy protein drink post workout

dinner- 2 large servings of tempeh and mashed potatoes

after dinner I strayed a little and had some vegan ice cream:) no regrets. so good, felt deserved and no harm done.

PS- anyone have any awesome workout splits they'd like to share, I'd love to hear em! I'm looking to change up soon, even if the splits aren't different, maybe you have some exercise suggestions for the muscle pairing I have going on now. I enjoy working out in some form 6 days a week, preferably not a full body workout so that I can continue this rate. Thank you in advance if you do share

You've got some nice detailed journaling going on here! Great work!

I'm currently working on a mass-building program inspired by Derek on the forum. It's all about compound lifts with barbells and dumbbells. I only train 4 days a week but the workouts are tough and exhausting.

Lots of squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, rows, shrugs and lifts like that.

I know you're more of a 6 day a week person so this might not be ideal but you could squeeze some of these lifts in there I'm sure.

Catch up later.

All the best.

Robert

Thanks Robert! I've been meaning to do that for some of those lifts. Squats and dead lifts for sure. Overhead press was one of my strongest lifts in high school:) Leaning more towards doing some mass gaining routines here soon. I just enjoy running so much and I've heard it is counterproductive to mass workouts. I'll have to keep researching until I find my perfect balance of routines.

Wednesday is my off day from the weights, decided to go for it on the cardio today. Didn't have the best day possible :/ 2 miles in 15:50. slower than usual. My leg didn't bother me much at all, but my run was on all concrete unfortunately, and I prefer grass, dirt or even asphalt over concrete. Made my legs feel a little worn. To make up for not running my normal 5 miles or more I did a cardio routine at the house that I found online.

15 jump squats

15 side to side push ups

15 towel rows

15 squat and raise with a towel

15 half burpees

all done circuit style with 1 minute rest after for 4 full circuits:) wore me out.

Big thanks to Mike Chang. you can youtube the workout. pretty awesome and easy to do, drenched in sweat after this, really felt a burn too.

breakfast- banana, orange oats

lunch-soy protein shake, spinach and arugula salad.

dinner- 2 servings of tofu cooked with carrots, celery, almonds, and spinach seasoned with ginger:))))

also had some spoonfuls of peanut butter throughout the day and a few extra bananas here and there.

Shoulders/Abs

Today I did my normal 7 minute 2 mile stationary bike to warm up. did some full body stretching.

15 push ups

15 jumping jacks

15 bodyweight squats circuit style for 3 sets

machine shoulder press 110lb x 10 for 2 sets 95lb x 10

dumbbell front raise 20lb x 10 for 3 sets

dumbbell lateral raise 20lb x 10 for 2 sets 15lb x 10

rear delt raise 20lb x 10 15lb x 10 for 2 sets

cable lateral raise 20lb x 10 for 2 sets 30lb x 10

dumbbell shrugs 50lb x 10 for 3 sets

I got this workout from Robert's shoulder layout from under the training tab. Love it

Tried to do the full ab workout too but ended up doing some exercises that I know a little better

hanging leg raises 3 sets of 15

hanging leg raises with a twist 1 set of 15 to each side

side crunches 1 set of 25 to each side

declined sit ups 2 set of 15

then I did a circuit style routine for 5 minutes that consists of

mountain climber 30 sec.

plank 30 sec.

crunches 30 sec.

no breaks alternating between the workouts for 5 minutes. I definitely felt the workout today:)

breakfast- banana, orange, protein shake

lunch- mashed potatoes, almonds, spinach

post workout- 2 chik'n patties, clif bar and protein shake

dinner was the same as last night, liked it so much that i cooked it again:) tofu with carrots, almonds, celery, spinach and arugula seasoned with ginger

Legs day!

Today i warmed up with 1 mile on the treadmill in about 7 minutes and 50 seconds.

Did some full body stretching

15 push ups

15 jumping jacks

15 squats circuit style for 3 sets

Standing Calf raises 190lb x 10 for 3 sets

Leg press 240lb x 10 for 3 sets

Squats 185lb x 10 for 3 sets

Leg extension 95lb x 10 for 3 sets

Leg curl 90lb x 10 for 3 sets

Bench press 135lb x 10 for 3 sets

Preacher curl 100lb x 10 for 2 sets

Threw in the quick sets for biceps and chest just because I felt great.

My run tweaked my left calf again, but got off of it quickly after only one mile.

Breakfast was a hemp protein shake with bananas, 1 orange and a kiwi

Post workout- fried tofu with linguine and mushrooms.

My half ass dinner was a huge bowl of whole grain cereal with a boat load of blueberries. Gonna have some oats, peanut butter and celery before bed:)

Thanks again Karen! I'm thrilled to be exercising this often and feeling great. seeing big differences in my mood and body lately.

Today was a scheduled rest day. I sometimes do cardio on saturdays but I worked a long day today so I decided to let my body rest as much as possible for the upcoming change in routine. May take tomorrow off from weights too. Giving some serious thought to making this a rest weekend and starting Tresize's mass building routine that Robert is on now. I like what I've read so far and I want to make some big gains and improve my max in most of those lifts. Excited for it

breakfast- big bowl of whole grain cereal, soy milk, with 1 cup of blueberries

lunch- large green salad with carrots, oranges, onion, tomatoes, and lemon juice for my dressing with a bowl of hopping john soup

dinner- Vegan garlic bread with a HUGE serving of Spaghetti

took the day off today and decided that I'm starting the mass building routine tomorrow. excited to see some serious gains. going to look more into a proper diet to match the routine as well.

breakfast- 3 bananas, orange, and a kiwi with soymilk

lunch- salad with lemon juice, clif protein bar

dinner- chik'n patties, cup of blueberries and oats

had a few snacks here and there, some crackers, peanut butter and almonds throughout the day. not my finest day for dieting. Going to crack down starting tomorrow.

Day 1 of Tresize's mass gaining workout

warmed up with one mile on the elliptical for 7 minutes

full body stretching

15 push ups

15 jumping jacks

15 bodyweight squats circuit style for 3 sets

Squats 225lb x 5 for 5 sets

bench press 175 x 5 for 5 sets

barbell row 135 x 5 105 x 5 for 4 sets

dumbbell shrugs 2 50lb dumbbell x 10 for 4 sets

At first I was worried that I didn't work out hard enough:/ I was pretty sweaty after I finished and could tell I had a pretty good workout, but when I got home I KNEW. I nearly passed out asleep in the first 15 minutes of being home.

breakfast- hemp protein smoothie (3 bananas, cup of blueberries, soy milk, oats)

lunch- hoppin john soup and salad. clif protein bar

dinner- two vegan burgers, hemp protein shake same as the breakfast, and 3 servings of pinto beans

biceps/triceps

7minute 2 mile stationary bike

15 push ups

15 jumping jacks

15 jump squats circuit style for 3 sets

full body stretching

preacher curls 85lb x 10 for 3 sets

dips 3 sets of 15 done as supersets with preacher curls

straight bar cable curl 90lb x 10 for 2 sets 75lb x 10

rope triceps ext. 90lbs x 10 for 3 sets

concentration curls 25lb x 10 for 3 sets each arm

overhead dumbbell triceps ext. 60lb x 10 for 3 sets

hammer curls 20lb x 10 for 3 sets

skullcrushers 60lb x 10 for 3 sets

ez bar curl 50lb x 10 for 3 sets

really feeling it this week! the The first day of this routine is still lingering in my body. Tomorrow is another day for compound lifts! stoked on this routine, really feel like it's going to produce.

breakfast- hemp protein shake ) 3 bananas, oats, soymilk, peanut butter and a kiwi

lunch- salad, clif protein bar, green tea

post workout/ dinner- huge serving of burger style tofu, and giant bowl of spinach

also got a little hungry pulling late hours and had a larabar and some cereal with soy milk and bluberries

day 2 of Tresize's mass gain routine.

seems weird that i'm on day 2 with a workout in between. but the schedule is set for day1, 3, and 5 with 2 isolation days in between and two days off. monday, wednesdays and fridays will be the days that I do the mass workouts with tuesdays and thursdays being solely for isolation exercises and cardio. Taking saturdays and sundays off.

ran 1 mile on the treadmill in 8 minutes

full body stretch

15 push ups

15 jumping jacks

15 jump squats for 3 sets of each circuit style

incline dumbbell bench press 60lb dumbbells x 5 for 5 sets

dumbbell rows 60lbs x 5 for 5 sets

clean 115lb x 5 for 5 sets

romanian deadlift 135lb x 5 for 5 sets

breakfast- larabar, cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple and some blueberries. glass of coconut milk

lunch- orange, clif protein bar

post workout- spicy garlic tofu with vegetables and rice

going to have a big dinner in a few with a large green salad and tempeh strips, followed by a bowl of oats and soy milk

PS- definitely recommend this routine! on paper it looks light to me, but when you're done, you feel it! This is only my second workout of the designed routine and I feel muscles being worked that I don't normally work in my normal routines. FEELS GREAT!

shoulders/abs/calves

front raise 20lb x 10 for 3 sets each arm

lateral raise 20lb x 10 for 3 sets each arm

rear delt raise 20lb x 10 for 3 sets

handstand push ups 3 sets of 10

sitting calf raises 75lb x 10 for 5 sets

standing calf raises 170lb x 10 for 3 sets

did a circuit style routine for my abs

30 sec mountain climber

30 sec plank

30 sec crunches with no rests alternating between workouts for 5 minutes

took it easier on the workout today because I'm still feeling monday and wednesday's workouts. Going to get good sleep tonight and get ready for my last heavy day of the week tomorrow.

breakfast- larabar :/ slack, but i got a late start.

lunch- salad, tempeh hoagie with peppers, onions, and lettuce

dinner- fruit smoothie (banana, blueberries, peanut butter.) fresh fruit (watermelon, pineapple, blueberries) and 2 banana and peanut butter sandwiches on ezekiel bread.

Friday

warm up with 2 miles in 7 minutes on stationary bike

full body stretch

15 push ups

15 jumping jacks

pull ups 5 x 5 sets

decline dumbbell pullover 30lb dumbbells 5x5 sets

push press 120lb x 5 for 5 sets

deadlift 135lb x 5 for 5 sets

breakfast- orange, almond milk, whole grain bagel

lunch- 2 bananas, larabar, green apple, almonds

dinner- bananas and peanut butter toast, whole grain cereal, fresh fruit

Scheduled day off!

Started the new mass gaining routine which gives me saturday and sunday off. First time I've done a routine with two consecutive days off. Probably really good for the body. I did a few light exercises today. Some full body stretches and yoga poses. Few sets of push ups here and there with a light ab workout in the morning.

Breakfast- bowl of oats and soymilk with a banana

lunch- hopping john soup, salad with oranges

dinner- tofu, spinach, peanut butter on whole grain toast with bananas

snack- a smoothie with pineapples, watermelon, cantaloupe and ice.

Sunday! scheduled rest day. Back to the weights tomorrow with heavy compound lifts. stoked.

Had a great diet today, my local animal rights group met today and had a potluck so I was very well fed. my diet today consisted of so much food that I don't care to list in any specific order. basically I ate...... bananas, kiwis, oranges, grapes, soymilk, vegan jalapeno cornbread, vegan bread pudding, quinoa pilaf, curry seitan, tapioca pudding, fresh homemade bread.