Week 2 Journal {LMNGETFIT}

Today was a great day for both exercise and food!

I took my run outdoors again as temp was 45 degrees! PERFECT WEATHER!

I ran a new route through neighborhood-3.5 miles total in 42:47.....not too bad for me as it had more hills than I'd planned for today!! I felt great after 1 mile in (really dislike 1st mile of run!! )

A little background on me:

age 36

5'7"

#169 (one year ago=#185)

**never been a "long, lean build"...... always muscular/athletic build which I've learned to embrace!

One week ago, I'd decided after reading "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman and reviewing Engine2Diet, that I'd focus on eliminating refined sugars, oil and alcohol in addition to my strict dietary regimen of vegan and gluten-free. I originally planned to drop ~#10 in the next 2-3 months before the 1st tri as I feel it would make my running easier (less pounding on the ol knees!) While this may be do-able, I've got to focus on training and proper fuel and see if weight loss happens secondarily. (I did enjoy sangria and some salty snacks one night but I don't feel it's enough to see zero changes in the numbers on the scale.)

So.....I've decided after 1 week of eliminating most refined sugars (ie my GF, Vegan sweets including chocolate) and wine (I'd indulge in a glass 3-4 nights per week-RED wine!), I'm returning to my previous eating ways while still focusing on eating vegan, GF with the addition of at least 2-3 fruits and 3-4 veggies daily. I'm somewhat frustrated as I saw no difference in my weight/body habitus. I do realize it's calories in/calories out and I've done well on previous nutrition plan of minimal refined foods and alcohol while still eating vegan. It's what worked before and I'm happiest eating this way as well as I know it works!! My recent health checkup has all of my numbers where they need to be.....I'm good. Time to end my mental confusion and refocus!!

I'm about finished with getting my tri training plan together. It looks like the first race I'm going to enter is in May! wahoo!!

Tomorrow will be a rest day! I'm back to work as well this week!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job! One thing I would suggest, though, is keeping one journal for (at least) the entire month of January, rather than breaking it up by week, so that the organizers (and everyone else!) can see one fluid journal of progress. Just a suggestion! BUT, keep up the awesome work! I've also recently been inspired by Engine 2 and have been removing added oils and refined sugar from my diet. I love it! Good for you!

All the best!

Karen

Good point Karen!

So as suggested, this will be my continuous journal for January......Karen, can I combine posts on here and rename?? Just curious......

Today is a rest day...... Feels like I should be doing some sort of activity!!! My morning started early as I was at the hospital by 0615. It was a restless night of sleep too-I blame it on the full moon!!!

One thing I did accomplish today was keeping up with my water consumption while working (im usually inside an operting room for 4-5 hour periods!) Its not an easy task but today I did it!!

I'm thinking tonight's meal with be Mexican based-my favorite!

Tuesday:

Early start to my day.....worked over 10 hours & I'm beat-

most of day on my feet in my not so fav shoes!

I had good intentions of getting cardio in at 5 this morning but decided I needed more sleep!

I did start logging my diet via an app on my phone- curious to see breakdown of carbs, protein & fat..... I've used this before and it helped me make good food choices during the day!

Off to bed for another EARLY start at work; fingers are crossed for a short day so I can get a workout in before "step- mom taxi cab" starts!

Wednesday:

made it home to work out before the taxi service for kids started!

Home gym workout:

Elliptical 20 mins level 7 (increased from level 5)

Treadmill 5min + 5 min interval sprints

Circuit workout ( I attempted to not rest between exercises!) ~20mins:

air squats 20x2

leg extensions 5# ankle weights 20x1 each leg

walking lunges with 8# ball overhead press 15x2

chair dips 10x2

crunches 20x2

jumping jacks 25x1

bench step-ups 10x1 each leg

push ups (girlie style) 10x1

mountain climbers 10x1

downward dog/childs pose 3 rounds 10sec each pose

plank 30secx2

cool down stretching 5mins

I felt great during and after this workout!!! While it's on the light side using mostly body weight, I like these exercises for body conditioning. It was a tough one for me-full on sweat!

Thought I'd share my use of supplements (not much!), I use Advocare's line of products. Today was a pink lemonade Spark drink before workout. As I get into training further, I like the Catalyst about 15 mins before (prevents major soreness for me!) my workouts that last longer than 45-60 mins.

My food intake was reasonable today....I used my food app diligently!

Tomorrow's workout out is weather dependent as for they are calling for snow overnight! I'll make a game time decision when I get off work in the afternoon. Swim vs run vs yoga video.......

Thursday:

Today=blah day

Not sure if it's the weather...... Teens with single digit wind chills ..... No motivation today in the workout area. I did hop on treadmill for steady 30 min walk figuring some was better than NONE.

Diet was good...... Made a yummy rice, tofu & broccoli stir fry.

Trying to keep my immune system boosted as my hubby has been fighting bad cold/bronchitis for a week now! Ugh!! Glad weekend is approaching for some much needed rest!

So I type this from my phone while waiting on my kids to finish an activity..... Took my mom out to our favorite Mexican eatery..... YES I can eat Mexican dishes everyday AND usually do!! I did enjoy veggies fajitas which included mushrooms, yellow squash & red/green bell peppers!! Delicious!!! We love this place because they do "vegan" alterations with ease such as no lard in the beans and consistently hold all dairy!! Ate decent all day as I was busy with work and can only eat/snack on what I take (oranges, banana, celery w/PB)

Not thinking I'll be working out tonight..... I'm beat! My day started at 0445 w/kids and then work at 0615...... Nonstop all day.

Weather here this weekend-55 degrees by Sunday!! Wahoo!! Maybe a run?!?

Tomorrow morning, I'm looking at a spin class......

Nice! As mentioned before, I absolutely love Mexican food as well! Great that you have a nice restaurant that is easy to work with.

Have a wonderful weekend, and I hope you'll be able to slow down and relax a bit to enjoy the nice weather!

-Karen

Saturday:

Definitely a day of rest for me - got a much needed 10 hours of rest!

Exercise- 20 easy min on elliptical followed by 10 min stretch.... I compare this workout to a leisure walk around the block!

I received an email about the local triathlons that are coming up starting in May-registration is open!!

The training plan I'm going to use is a 10 week plan so that puts me starting 3rd week of February which will be great timing as I'll have just returned from a conference/ski trip in CO!

My goal for next month is to stay physically fit & gain strength through body/light weight training and cardio- there I've posted my plan which makes me be accountable! Ha!

Karen, I do appreciate your feedback as well as this online journal!!!! Nice to see soooo many people with similar health/fitness interests!

Sunday:

Temps here in KC are in the mid 50's!!! beautiful day so I dusted off my bike (HA!) and put air in my tires and hit the road for a ride. I made in 6.5 miles avg about 4.15 min/mile-not too bad since I've got no "bike legs" as of now!!! My cardio was strong even on the hills around here! (My goal for tris will be to drop under that 4min/mile and ride with ease!) I finished my ride with jello legs and stretched it out-I feel great!

It was great to see so many other bikers out today-we all had the same idea.....January and it's in the 50s!! I was reminded of what muscles I use to ride and where I need to focus over the next month.

Diet has been modest today as I'm suffering from bouts of not feeling so well in the GI dept-oh well, kind of the story of my life-I move on!!

going to take it easy tonight......homemade pizza in the oven!

Pizza was delicious-tasty & satisfying!

Monday's workout:

Took advantage of 64 degree temp and jogged/walked outside for 35 mins...... Hard time today with getting my legs to move! I didn't think I was sore from my bike workout yesterday but surprise- I am..... More tight muscles & ligaments. I focused more on long strides & then followed up with a good post stretch. I can also feel the soreness in my neck & shoulders too!! Love the bike!!

Nutrition..... Salt was my downfall today! Will try again tomorrow!

Off to bed for good nights rest! Undecided on tomorrows plan..... I'm on a later out rotation - could be a rest day or just upper body workout!

Wednesday:

No workout yesterday-worked longer than anticipated (12 hours).

Today's workout:

Elliptical 20 min vigorous

Treadmill warmup 15 min

Stretch 10 min

Upper body body weight & 5# wts .....bicep curls, kickbacks, pushups, overhead press 2sets of each 10-20 reps.

Nutrition mostly on track considering I've not put much effort into food prep. Thank goodness for fruit, carrots & hummus-ALL portable for on the go snacks!

Tonight's dinner-new recipe courtesy of my hubby (75% omnivore)- chorizo (trader joes soy) tacos....contains mushrooms, onions & chorizo served on corn tortillas!

Thursday:

Surprisingly I was off early from work! I took the opportunity to lay low....... Did do a yoga video 35 min workout (Jillian Michaels) which serve to remind my how awesome yoga is for my body! I must do it more often. Tonight's plan is to hang with my hubby and enjoy a movie night at home!! It's not often that it's the two of us relaxing together!

Dinner tonight were tasty Cajun Chickpea Cakes with steamed veggies...... Recipe courtesy of Everyday Happy Herbivore by Lindsay Nixon. I own BOTH of her cookbooks and I must say that I love her dishes..... All recipes have been simple AND delicious!!!

Tomorrow I think swimming might be on the agenda after work!

Cajun Chickpea Cakes! Yumm! I've been spying Ms. Nixon's books, and I'm happy to hear your positive review. If I was only going to buy one of them, which one would you recommend I should purchase first?

Thanks! Enjoy date night with your hubby!

Karen, it's a close tie between her 2 cookbooks...... I'm thinking the 2nd one, Everyday Happy Herbivore might have a slight lead in my fav position only because of the chickpea recipes......her blog has great recipes posted too! Let me know if you try any!

Friday: no workout today

Fundraiser associated with hubby's work that was held at a brewery..... Cool venue-local brews & vino. I tried vino but wasnt impressed! Not a beer drinker..... Heavy hordeurves were just that-heavy!!! I avoided it all and held out for a tapas place after with friends! I had potatoes & sautéed spinach in OJ!! I did eat a few grilled shrimp ( a former fav!) BUT now regret it as I have heartburn which require tums!!! Ugh-typical digestive issues when I stray fom my normal diet!! It's hardly worth it anymore......

Group of friends tonight have proposed we join forces to run a brew to brew relay in April!!! Legs vary from 3-7 miles depending on the team size-total run ~37 miles -I'm pumped!! I love a goal especially with accountability!

Thanks for that suggestion. I did see that her website has a bunch of recipes, which I'll continue to spy until I get her book. I LOVE chickpeas!!!

Your relay sounds like fun! Lots of breweries in your area? Would you drink beers between each leg of the race?

Brew to Brew is a relay race from Boulevard Brewery here in KC to the Freestate Brewery in Lawrence KS.....it was mentioned last night over dinner and I just checked out the website! It sounds great with proceeds going to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The teams consist of 2-10 runners and legs vary in distance depending on number of runners on our team. I believe beer is served at the start and at the end in Lawrence! I'm thrilled because there's GF option for meal AND beer at the end!!! wahoo!!! I'd think after this event we'd deserve a reward!!! This run is first part of April so it's a do-able goal for all of us in our group!

Today's workout was decent.

Elliptical 30 mins (level 7) maintaining HR 145-165.

yoga style stretcing 10 mins

it's been a cold day - overcast. I plan to relax and catch a movie in tonight!! I'm thinking my hubby's offered to whip up some pizza for us.....next to Mexican, it's my favorite!

Sunday: start of week 3

Read my journal updates..... Nice that I can keep up to date on my progress & goals- love it!

Decided today was a relax day...... So no workout except housecleaning and laundry!

I've been exercising my mind though..... I've started reading Vegan for Life by Norris & Messina. Interesting concepts - really need to track my protein intake more (my phone will do that if I were to use it daily!)........

Did make a Rum Cake last night..... Another fantastic recipe from Everyday Happy Herbivore!! Trying tO not eat the whole cake today.....

Monday:

42min on treadmill-includes 5 min warmup then 3 10 min runs w/ 1min walk between followed by 4 min walk cool down

5 min stretch

(felt great just had to cut short due to mom duties starting!)

Starting watching Sick, Fat, Nearly Dead while on treadmill....... Interesting story! Still have 58 min left.

God food choices today as I was at work! Tonight: spaghetti pasta w/ mushrooms

Rum cake?? Wow... Good thing I've ordered the book for myself!

I hope you'll post your thoughts about Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead once you get a chance to finish it up. I've heard such amazing things about it, but have yet to see it myself.

Great job!