Jinxtv's training b/log

The fitbit says I walked a bit over five miles today. It also says I was asleep for 16 hours today and climbed the tallest dinosaur, so I'm not sure how trustworthy it is.

It also says I was doing basically nothing while I was doing an hour of Power Yoga, but my blood, sweat and tears (or sweat, sweat and sweat) says otherwise.

Didn't go to the gym today because my knees have been bothering me. I started to train to run a 12k and after my THIRD day of running I started to get this awful pain which I think I made worse by just trying to ignore. They're getting better but I'm trying to err on the side of caution now. I felt great doing power yoga so tomorrow or Friday I want to go to the gym and try running on the Precor machine. If that feels okay then maybe a tiny bit of trail running Sunday.

• 3 months later...

Glucosamine is good for knees (joints) and flax oil is good for joint lubrication. I just learned from someone else on the forum that there are vegan options for glucosamine so look into that. I had been taking the kind that was made from shell fish apparently.

Oh and nice work climbing the tallest dinosaur. I hear some of them are pretty tall...

-Dylan

My knees are all better now...but I think I'll be walking the Bay to Breakers instead of running it. Oh well...it's still the Bay to Breakers! I do want to start running again but with minimalist running sandals and without this desperate need to ramp up to 7 miles in a very short time. If it happens again, maybe I will try glucosamine, although I am not sure it was the joint and may have been a muscle problem - like I just wasn't ready to do so much so soon and then I wasn't running with the best form and using these really awful and way over-cushioned shoes.

I took a class last week on making raw nut milks and cheeses - which I have done before but I still learned some cool stuff like you can buy rejuvelac at Whole Foods and how to better use my Vita-Mix and dehydrator when making nut cheeses - plus how to culture them. Before I'd been using the brine from pickles to make a smoked cheddar spread, but it's not really the same. I managed to score a scoby at the end of the class so that was awesome...I'd just been saying less than a week before that I need a scoby so I can make my own kombucha but I didn't know where to get one and then *pow* there was a scoby! I also just got some kefir grains so today I'm making coconut kefir and tomorrow I plan to use it to make a mango lassi.

I am trying to eat gluten-free for this whole month, to see if it has a positive effect on my overall health and well-being. So far it has been absurdly easy - the hardest part is remembering that is what I'm doing. I did have some rolls from a gluten-free bakery with the broccoli dal soup I had Sunday and Monday, but other than that I haven't had any sort of gluten-substitute products. I had nut cheese at the class but it was on raw seed crackers and I also had nut cheese at my favorite vegetarian/vegan wine bar (okay, the ONLY vegetarian/vegan wine bar I know of) but I put it on potatoes and the lettuce leaves they provided. Instead of bread to start the meal, I had olives. I think some restaurants could be pretty hard - although a lot of places offer a gluten free pasta option.

I have been tempted to buy a few things just because they are gluten free, but then I think just because there is a gluten free version of, say, cookies doesn't mean I have to eat cookies. I've fallen into that trap with vegan stuff before - oh, vegan cookies? I guess I just have to try them! Only no, really, I don't.

Oh nice you live in the bay. SF or Oakland or where? Woh I can't believe its bay to breakers time already again. Seems like it was just the other day. Can't believe its been since August since I've been in SF. I miss the good and cheap Chinese/Viet/Thai restaurants there.

You haven't been here since August? You missed all the beautiful winter weather! I live on the peninsula in Redwood City. I LOVE Burma Superstar - okay it's burmese and not that cheap but it's to-die-for delicious, especially their fermented tea leaf salad. There is also a vegetarian thai restaurant in Foster City that is amazing but I'm always worried they're going to close because they are so empty most of the time & meanwhile their non-veggie sister restaurant just five doors down is always packed. So of couse I have to eat there as often as possible, just to be supportive!

Oh darn it, I was JUST in Seattle and I could have used that advice! I ate at Chaco Canyon and Wayward Vegan.

Yesterday I started young thai coconut kefir and I also started kombucha. The kombucha makes me nervous because it sits out for so much longer to ferment than kefir. I had to really clean and scrub a corner of my kitchen until I felt like hopefully I won't get weird, moldy kombucha. Maybe it will be weird anyway, since I seem to be unable to follow a recipe exactly. They say use green or black tea but I used oolong, and then I put hibiscus in with it because that's the way I always make tea, and instead of cane sugar I used coconut sugar. I guess we'll see next week. I found a recipe I really like that puts in hibiscus and rose hips AFTER the initial fermentation and then ferments it five more days, so now I want to try that one but my scoby is in use, so I'm thinking maybe I'll get a bottle of plain kombucha at whole foods and try to create a scoby.

Tuesday I had started sprouting oat groats, and I kept checking them yesterday to see if they had started sprouting yet. I picked them up at the pet supply store in the feed bulk bins and I've read that a lot of oat groats are heat treated to give them a longer shelf life (so they are basically pasteurized, just like almost all "raw" almonds and yet not labeled as such, very upsetting) but I also read that the ones destined for animal feed are usually not heat treated so I was anxious to see if they'd sprout. Finally today I can see they are for sure sprouting. They aren't actually for me but for my cats. They usually get wheat grass and I thought they'd like a change, but I have read a lot of good things about sprouting oat groats to juice - I'm just not sure if I should be sprouting pet store oat groats to juice for people. But then I think if they aren't "good enough" for people, should I really be growing them for my cats? Either way, I have some coming in the mail that are organic and definitely not heat treated, it's just too bad I have to be so dubious of the local oat groats that are only 89 cents a pound.

My boyfriend (who's latest worry is that he has a potassium deficiency and I have no idea why he thinks that since he consumes a lot of foods that are high in potassium - I told him to go to the doctor and get a bunch of bloodwork done so he can know for sure) wants to start juicing, and on the one hand that's great because I love making fresh juices but his thing for the last year has been green smoothies and now that he wants to add juices too, that's just more juice and more veggies for me. On the other hand, he decided this after watching a movie about the Gerson Therapy and I just worry about what has him soooo interested in the Gerson Therapy now.

Today I feel I am having a really healthy breakfast - I took my newly made coconut kefir and used it to make mango lassi, which I also threw a few handfuls of spinach in, so it's both a cultured food AND a green smooth...and delicious!