Rossco's journal

Okay fine.... I'm on the hiit band wagon hahaha, the only difference is that I can't quite go to failure with squats as I have no spotter and it's goddam dangerous.. So that'll stick to 8-10 reps for a few sets.

I'm still in the process of sorting out what exercises to do when, but I'm pretty set on 2 different workouts.

Workout 1: deadlift, rows, pull ups, ab crunches, shrugs, bicep curls.

Workout 2: squat, calf raises, DB bench, flys, tricep kickbacks, upright rows.

I'm still looking up and learning about hiit but after reading a bit of mike mentzer and watching a couple of videos that rob posted I'm liking the idea and am becoming convinced.

Will except any constructive criticism guys

Soooo it's been 7 days since I last trained, here goes

Squats

65Kg x 10 reps

65Kg x 10 reps

65Kg x 10 reps

Calf raises to failure, literally lost count

Dumbbell bench to failure- 27.5Kg x 15 reps

Dumbbell flys to failure- 20Kg x 14 reps (I think)

I tried not to count as it put me off

Upright rows with 15Kg weight plate

About 20ish reps each arm, total killer (good shout rob)

Tricep kickbacks to failure- 12.5Kg x about 25 reps ish, lost count.

I loved this, I'm gonna take 4-5 rest days now

Love it:))

Wee tip...

Forget counting reps, just focus on the muscle/s working, smooth turnarounds at each end of the rep and training to failure. If you do want to compare apples with apples when it comes to the training itself, use a stopwatch and track the time under tension/load and the weight used, OR do count the reps, but not necessarily on every workout, do the same workout again several weeks or workouts later and compare results:)

HIT trainer and Mr N.I BB champ recently said this on facebook...

"For all those people that count their rest periods between sets, record reps, rep tempo etc - that's all fine and dandy, but it all means jack shit if your not pushing yourself to that uncomfortable place were changes take place".

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys! Yes I'm very confused! Haha nah I know the difference, ones high intensity training and the other is high intensity interval training, the latter beig a form of cardio right?

Anyways a little update from me,

I'm training today', back biceps etc.

Rob, what did you think of my split a few posts back? Is that a good combination of exercises?

I've been doing loadsssss of gardening recently, growing tons of veg in the garden and even indoors haha will post my workout soon!

Thanks for your answer Rob!

Keep up the good work in here Ross, you are starting to look quite beastly from the photos of you I see pop up every now and then

Haha thanks mate, yeah a couple of people have mentioned that I look broader and have bigger arms, it's nice to hear compliments when you've worked hard

Hey guys! Yes I'm very confused! Haha nah I know the difference, ones high intensity training and the other is high intensity interval training, the latter beig a form of cardio right?

Anyways a little update from me,

I'm training today', back biceps etc.

Rob, what did you think of my split a few posts back? Is that a good combination of exercises?

I've been doing loadsssss of gardening recently, growing tons of veg in the garden and even indoors haha will post my workout soon!

Hey Ross,

Done properly, BOTH HIT and HIIT are great for "cardio" , the main difference, is that HIT is "low force" high intensity exercise, whereas HIIT is "high force" high intensity exercise.

Yes, nice set up, kind of push/pull split of sorts, and to a degree, full body workouts:)

Didn't get a chance to update yesterday!

I filmed each exercise instead of counting as I lifted

Light warm ups

Deadlifts

110Kg x 11 reps

Pull ups x 8 reps

Dumbbell rows

27.5Kg x 14 reps each arm

Shrugs

40Kg x 30 reps!

Barbell bicep curls

22.5Kg x 22 reps!!

Ab crunches, didn't film it, but is basically felt dead at the end ahha

Great HIT training, already looking forward to the next one!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dude! And hey everyone! Just to let everyone know that I'm still knocking about haha, I haven't really trained or come on here for a chat for a while, I've got a shit load of stuff going on,

I recently had to go back to working at the supermarket I was at through college... Had no choice, needed a job to pay rent, I'm hoping it's just for summer.. Anyway it's a lot of hours and the spare time I have is spent sorting out my house and cat etc..

Anyways give me an add on Facebook (just search Ross Cosgrove) or Instagram rosscosgrove

If you wanna catch up for a chat or anything.

Il be back to training next week!!

crap man, I know how it goes, im going to have to start a low paying job soon since i havent been able to find another good one since I left my last one. Keep your head up and keep applying to stuff, dont get stuck in a rut and get content at the grocery store. On the plus side you can get in some lifting moving food around unloading shipments and stocking shelves.

I hear ya Dylan, it'll just be a summer stop gap I'm hoping.. Or at most just for the year

I'm back!! I didn't log the last workout I did a week or so ago and can't remember what I did...

Anywho.. Training shortly! It's deadlifts! Back and bis! With a bit of shoulders!

Argh I'm exhausted! Training was awesome today!

HIT!

Deadlifts- 115Kg/253lbs

X 11 reps

Total failure! Thought I was gonna die...

Pull ups

X 9 reps! New record haha

Dumbbell rows, made them light to get a better pump!

20Kg / 44lbs

Lost count.. But was roughly 20 reps

Shrugs

60Kg / 132lbs

Lost count..

Barbell bicep curls

25Kg / 55lbs

X about 18 or so reps..

Supersetted with bands until I thought I was gonna puke!

Hey Michael!! And hey Chris!!

I've been a bit low energy recently, I've been doing 6am starts at work (which I love don't get me wrong) but with the recent hot weather I just can't go to sleep any earlier than usual.. Yesterday I suffered through the day with a migraine that was just relentless... I had intended to train at the start of the week but it just didn't happen :/

I, going to go all out tomorrow on a leg and chest day though! Also Chris I got your FB message will reply shortly!

Miss you all! Sorry for my lack of posting, I just need to sort my shit out haha

• 5 months later...

How's everyone doing? Thought I would check in and say hi, and let you all know I'm still training real hard! I've been following a programme called y3t by Flex lewis and I'm making massive results with it!

Still completely meat free too!

Miss everyone on here loads and our little community! Hope everyone's doing Okay!

Here's my Instagram which I use everyday if you wanna stay in contact

Rosscosgrove

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Sup everyone?

Been a real long time since I've popped on here but I really miss you guys and wanted to see how everyone was getting on!

Not sure if I went into much detail the last time I checked in but I am unfortunately no longer vegan, still meat free and an advocate for animal rights and always will be.

Things kind of went downhill when I realised I was becoming/had become extremely intolerant to a lot of beans and legumes.. Especially soya which was a massive boner kill considering I ate it so much and it made up such a massive part of my diet, I can kind of stomach broad beans but anything else including chickpeas ( :'( ) and soya is off limits unless I want extreme discomfort and er... Toilet issues.....

Anyways, have never stopped lifting and the fickle bugger that I am I've tried everything and switched back and forth from bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman and even calisthenics.

Currently I'm doing.. Well.. All of the above I suppose, a few good friends come round every other day for weight training sessions in my garden.

I'm training myself with the goals of getting bigger and stronger, the two day split comsists of

Day A: Squats, Bench press, Dips, shoulder pressing/clean and jerks.

Day B: Deadlifts (lots of) Aussie pull-ups, farmer carries and grip exercises, bicep curls (just to please the others...)

This is all subject to change, the big compound stuff is always consistent but other exercises get thrown in time to time.

Anyways, for those I'm not friends wit on Facebook/Instagram, I got engaged to my girlfriend a couple months back, we've been together 7 years now planning on getting married June next year or maybe 2017,

Come say hey guys would love to catch up!

Edited by vegan_rossco

Thought I May as well post my last couple of sessions;

Wednesday:

Barbell bench press

(After warm ups)

60kg x 12 reps

70kg x 10 reps

95kg x 1 reps

50kg x 20 reps

Barbell Squats

(After warming up)

60kg x 10 reps

80kg x 10 reps

130kg x 2 reps

140kg x 1 rep

50kg x 20 reps

140kg felt so easy, could have/would have gone heavier if I wasn't so beat..

Circus dumbbell style presses.

25kg x 8 each arm

35kg x 5 each arm

35kg x 5 each arm

Dips (bench dips) totally lost count, everyone sort of took turns until we could bend our arms haha

Friday:

Deadlifts

(After warming up)

60kg x 10 reps

90kg x 8 reps

90kg x 8 reps

130kg x 5 reps

130kg x 5 reps

90kg x 12 reps

Aussies (inverted rows) , did roughly 50 but lost count.

Barbell shrugs

35kg x 25 reps

35kg x 30 reps

45kg x 25 reps

45kg x 25 reps

Was pretty much fucked from the deadlifts so wrote the rest of the session off aha.

Next session is tomorrow, and I'm going for a squat pb.