contest prep 2013 - training/diet/pics

Well, as i promised, i'm gonna start my journal here and try to update it regularly concerning training and diet, including pictures of my shape... i hope you're all gonna enjoy it!

Tonight i'm gonna do a workout, after several days without any training but with lots of food! ;D

I'm gonna post my workout later on...

Greetings, Arvid

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, my weight is 96,4kg at the moment, and my goal is to lose about 1kg each week, for the next 16-18 weeks. i still have to create a concrete meal plan, but as usual the first step for me is to cut all bad food out of my diet. over the weeks and month i'm gonna lower my calories from time to time, depending on my fat loss...

for the beginning there'll be no cardio at all, and if everything works fine, i won't do any cardio up to my competition. cardio will only be added if really necessary in the last weeks. so it's all about weight training and diet for me.

this was my workout for today:

seated calf raise: 20kg x 10

leg press (narrow leg position): 170kg x 10

leg press (wide leg position): 170kg x 9

good mornings (straight leg position): 45kg x 9

seated one leg curl: 25kg x 9

chin ups (overhand grip): bodyweight (96kg) x 8

pull ups (close reverse grip): bodyweight (96kg) x 9

barbell bent over row: 55kg x 11

dumbbell bicep curls: 17,5kg x 11

barbell bench press: 100kg x 8

barbell incline bench press: 90kg x 8

weighted dips: bodyweight (96kg) + 30kg x 8

standing barbell press behind the neck: 50kg x 10

tricep dumbbell kickbacks: 10kg x 10

Thx mate! Actually i do total body workouts for years and years now... the first few years of my training career i did the usual split training. It worked pretty well for me and i built up a lot of muscle mass, but at some point i tried total body workouts and felt quite good with it...so i never really came back to split training.

I try to train three times a week, but i always listen to my body concerning recovery...

You think my bench press is good?? I think it could be better. But i never was a very good bench presser.

At the moment i try to build up some strength in my legs again. I had a really bad injury in july 2011, that almost destroyed my knee. I think it will never be 100% again, but i do my best to build it up again.

i did whole body routines a few years ago, really enjoyed them..... yeah your bench press is good, did i read on your other post you weigh 85kg? if so 8 reps of 100kg is definately good in my book.

good luck with the knee, ive had a few injuries in the past and understand how much of a nightmare it can be!

At the moment i'm quite fat with my 96kg...very off-season. For the contest it'll probably be less than 80kg...

The thing is: never had a real injury from bodybuilding! But once i played football...and what happened? I fucked up my knee... damn... -.-

And i've got some probs with my lower back at the moment...sucks!

my last workout for this year:

seated calf raise: 25kg x 15

leg press (narrow leg position): 180kg x 10

leg press (wide leg position): 180kg x 10

good mornings (straight leg position): 50kg x 8

seated one leg curl: 25kg x 12

chin ups (overhand grip): bodyweight (96kg) x 10

pull ups (close reverse grip): bodyweight (96kg) x 10

barbell bent over row: 60kg x 9

hammer curls: 17,5kg x 9

barbell bench press: 100kg x 8

barbell incline bench press: 90kg x 8

weighted dips: bodyweight (96kg) + 30kg x 9

standing barbell press behind the neck: 55kg x 8

tricep dumbbell kickbacks: 12,5kg x 10

It's really interesting here! Everyone seems to be quite friendly, interested and helpful. I made the experience that in most of the "ordinary" bodybuilding forums, there are a lot of idiots who write just crap or are mean or agressive with other members. I like the positive attitude of the guys here!

Okay guys, this is how my diet looks like:

1. meal: a big shake consisting of 700ml water, 1 banana, 125g mixed berries, 150g spinach, 50g soy protein powder

2. meal: 1-2 carrots, cucumber salad with 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil, shake with 50g soy protein powder in water

3. meal: about 500-700g fried mixed vegetables, 50g walnuts, shake with 50g soy protein powder in water

4. meal: shake with 50g soy protein powder in water (before i go to sleep)

All in all: 1840kcal, 69g fat, 86g carbs, 215g protein

Okay guys, this is how my diet looks like:

1. meal: a big shake consisting of 700ml water, 1 banana, 125g mixed berries, 150g spinach, 50g soy protein powder

2. meal: 1-2 carrots, cucumber salad with 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil, shake with 50g soy protein powder in water

3. meal: about 500-700g fried mixed vegetables, 50g walnuts, shake with 50g soy protein powder in water

4. meal: shake with 50g soy protein powder in water (before i go to sleep)

All in all: 1840kcal, 69g fat, 86g carbs, 215g protein

Seems to be pretty consistent to me. But ins´t to low calories for a man?

I know, calorie intake is quite low for a man, but my personal experience is that it's easier for me to lose fat with a rather low calorie intake and pure weight training, instead of more calories and additional cardio... i always choose a pretty low calorie intake for my competition diet. From time to time i will do a little refeed to speed up my metabolism. As long as my training is alright and i can lift the same weights as before, i guess i'm not losing muscle tissue...

I know, calorie intake is quite low for a man, but my personal experience is that it's easier for me to lose fat with a rather low calorie intake and pure weight training, instead of more calories and additional cardio... i always choose a pretty low calorie intake for my competition diet. From time to time i will do a little refeed to speed up my metabolism. As long as my training is alright and i can lift the same weights as before, i guess i'm not losing muscle tissue...

Nice to hear that. It´s hard for me increase cardio and it seems I got the same situation: increase weight training and going low into calories is the best choice.

I am so happy to hear that.

Thanks fot the tip

All the best

Dani