Vegan Texan is not an oxymoron

Hey there! It's Rebecca's Vegan Food, Life, and Fitness Journey Journal Blog Log Personal Accountability Thingamajig!

(10 years vegetarian - 3 years vegan - self taught vegan chef of the household - animal rescuer and adopter - Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism sufferer - legal secretary - actor for fun - wannabe bodybuilder)

Here we are at month 2 of the gym membership and personal training once a week and I've lost maybe 8 pounds, if that, starting at 200 pounds with a goal of 150 or less. The picture attached is me on Halloween in my Thor costume with my co-workers all dressed as The Avengers. We can consider this my before picture since I weighed in at 200 pounds when I wore this costume. Thor is also my inspiration to make my body match the costume. And I have a serious thing for Tom Hiddleston and not just because he played Loki.

http://i47.tinypic.com/4g3wd5.jpg

I cried last night after a particularly difficult workout. I started out with 15 minutes on the elliptical at intensity level 15 going forwards, then did 15 minutes on the elliptical at intensity level 15 going backwards. Then my trainer saw me, and even though we were not scheduled, he generously gave me an impromtu 10 minute killer core and lower body workout. I still cannot do the proper form of the free standing invisible chair without someone holding my hands so I don't fall. We started with the invisible chair until my quads were shaking, then immediately jumped on the quad machine for a hard and heavy lifting set immediately followed by the hamstring machine and then rotated between the two machines with no rest for 3 full sets, then immediately followed by stepping up and down on a platform for what seemed like forever. I was struggling just to stand up straight. He really likes to burn me out and then push me beyond what my body thinks is the limit. Finally he let me stop and I realized it had only been 10 minutes. I felt so weak and embarrassed for being burned out so easily. Then he assigned me to do lunges across the gym and back before I left for the night. I did my upper body lifting exercises and then did the lunges as instructed, but I fell twice. I left the gym and cried.

I love the way it makes me feel and do very much enjoy working out, but I guess I'm just impatient and want to see results faster than this. It's already an uphill battle having hypothyroidism that slows my metabolism and makes me fatigue fast, but I feel like I'm pushing as hard as I can. At the very least, after two months, I want to be able to hold my own body weight by myself. Tonight I have my actual session with my trainer. I will try again with the free standing invisible chair. Maybe I can hold it by myself tonight.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandmother passed away on Friday. Her funeral is tomorrow. Haven't worked out since Thursday because I have been driving to New Jersey for the funeral. It's a 24 hour drive from Texas and I left town as soon as I found out. I am surviving on gas station raw almonds and no cheese veggie delights from subway. I miss my skillet and am craving cooked tomatoes and tofu. It's my go-to comfort food when I'm feeling down. Also miss my grandmother. I'll get back on track with the gym when I get back home. She would want me to.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am back on the wagon after a sad week off. My 86 year old grandmother passed away on my other grandmother's 92nd birthday. Then 92 year old grandmother had a stroke after we got back into town. Fortunately it was mild and she just needs physical therapy. 92 year old grandmother has always been a BIG motivator for me to exercise and eat right. We made a bargain in the hospital. She will work hard on her physical therapy if I get my rear end back in the gym. Yes ma'am.

Went back for the first time on Sunday and had really low energy. I only did 10 minutes forward on the elliptical on level 1 and did some leg presses and arm presses at less weight than usual with more reps than usual. Last night I did much better with 15 minutes forward on the elliptical on level 15 and 15 minutes backwards on the elliptical on level 15 followed by some free weights working on the back and upper body muscles. A body builder had left their bar out with giant weights on each end. I walked up to it and raised it to my waist. The guys next to me started cheering me on. I was only going to kid around and didn't expect to actually be able to lift the thing up! So, a small victory for the chubby girl and a little gym cred.

We're BACK, baby. Because grandma said so.

Breakfast: small bowl of Cherry Almond cereal with added nuts, seeds, and dried fruit and soy milk.

Snacks: coffee with soy milk; 1 apple; 1 red bell pepper, 1 tomato, 1 anaheim pepper (raw of course).

Lunch: large bowl of homemade black bean stew with carrots (tops included), celery, cremini mushrooms, and cayenne.

Dinner: undecided... hmmm... something with tofu and swiss chard maybe.

FITNESS GOALS:

-I am stuck on 25-30 lbs to burn out on the tricep machine. I want to double that by April.

-Currently I can only do a half push-up. Not on my knees, but in the full plank position, just half-way down and up. I want to do 10 full push-ups easily by April. My shoulders and pectorals are too weak right now and my core could use some all around strengthening. I must be able to lift my own body weight.

-I'm starting to see better definition in my legs. I want to have a nicely defined calf curve by April.

-By end of 2013, I want to be able to do pull-ups.

Goodbye, chubby girl. Hello, vegan rock hard bodied goddess.

FOOD:

Breakfast: small bowl of cherry almond cereal with added nuts, seeds, and dried fruit and soy milk.

Snacks: coffee with soy milk; 1 apple; half cup of mango, leftover soup from dinner last night - red swiss chard, tofu, tomatoes, anaheim peppers, red miso for salt.

Lunch: large bowl of homemade black bean stew with carrots (tops included), celery, cremini mushrooms, and cayenne with toast on the side.

Pre-workout snack: banana

Post-workout dinner: raw cucumber, tomato and red bellpepper. Some sort of processed vegan junk food like Gardein beefless tips that I will split with my husband.

FOOD:

Breakfast: coffee with soy milk; 1 apple; half cup of mango; half cup of pineapple. (COFFEE ADDICTION IS BACK since grandma's funeral - she also loved her coffee so it is like keeping her love alive.)

Snacks: leftover soup (again) - red swiss chard, tofu, tomatoes, anaheim peppers, red miso for salt; raw cucumber, tomato and red bellpepper.

Lunch: large bowl of homemade black bean stew (again) with carrots (tops included), celery, cremini mushrooms, and cayenne. (no toast today)

Post-workout dinner: I'm thinking vegan chicken quesadillas with vegan cheese stuffed and roasted anaheim peppers on the side.

See, by cooking veggie soups and stews in large quantities at the beginning of the week, I can just buy those few ingredients and then divide the portions for my lunches to take to work. It saves money even if it is a little boring to repeat the same stuff over and over again. Preparing in advance also saves time during the week when I'm exhausted. Each week is different though! I promise I'm not this boring!

Thanks! When the local farm opens their market for the year in March, things get really crazy in my kitchen. They know me there as the "box lady" because I bring boxes instead of little grocery bags like the rest of their customers. I mean serious veggie business. And they always make fun of how many tomatoes I buy a week. They just can't believe I eat that many veggies! I admit, I may have a tomato addiction.

FITNESS:

Had a nice workout at the gym last night. I also weighed myself. 196.4. Not any significant change, but I can tell by my performance that I am improving. I burned out on 30 lbs on the tricep machine and did some various shoulders and pec machines with increased weights as well. Also worked on my upper and lower back with the 10 lb free weights and also did what I call vampire raises... inclined crunches. I also did the high chair with no seat (I don't know what that is called) - worked my shoulders and core by lifting my knees while dangling on the high chair - 20 seconds is my new record for holding the position. Trainer was there and talking about certain challenges he wanted to do during our official session, but he is really proud of my progress. I am ready to burn it out again tonight with him.

FOOD:

It's Friday and I was feeling SUPER lazy this morning.

Breakfast: coffee with soy milk; Amy's frozen meal - Tofu Scramble - Fat 19g, Protein 22g, Calories 320, Sugars 4g, Iron 30% daily value.

Snacks: 1 apple; half cup of pineapple.

Lunch: Candle Cafe frozen meal - Ginger Miso Stir-Fry - Fat 6g, Protein 9g, Calories 200, Sugars 9g, Iron 8% daily value.

Dinner: Whatever I feel like! Gawsh!!!

MUSIC:

I jammed to the Far East Movement album Free Wired last night. Tonight's music will be my trainer yelling in my ear.

Edited by Amethyst8

http://i46.tinypic.com/16bdoqw.jpg

"You're vegan? What the heck do you eat???!" Deliciousness.

Vegan chicken quesadillas with corn tortillas and made sides of a cool cucumber and tomato salad with a dab of vegenaise in addition to the hot roasted anaheim peppers stuffed with vegan nacho cheese.

FITNESS

Did 30 minutes on elliptical and then trainer worked me for an hour. We figured out a mistake I had been making on my squat form when we added the bar with weights balanced on my shoulders. I tend to lean forward on my toes instead of planting my feet to distribute the weight evenly. My back would arch forward to compensate. Bad form!!! So we took the weights off and worked on squats and lunges with proper form before adding the weights back on. My legs and arms were shaking! Woo! Then planks, planks on elbows, and more planks. Hurts so good! Then he showed me a way to isolate the tricep muscle near the elbow with an around the head bend and pump with the weights. The tricep machine tends to work a different spot, so now I can switch up my routine to get more coverage. I enjoy learning new things each time I go in and am so glad I chose to work with a trainer once a week to correct these basic form mistakes.

This hot bubble bath feels so good. Now what to cook for dinner? I'm too tired to eat, let alone cook, but body says I will regret this if I don't.

Edit

FOOD

Decided on bow tie pasta with meatless balls and tomato sauce. Peas on the side. Or maybe on top. So tired!

Leftover pasta with meatless balls and peas for breakfast. Going to get coffee with my boyfriend and then to hit the gym before I start feeling too tight from last night's session.

Consistency is key. Beat pain with pain. Sweat is just my fat crying. AAAARRGGGGG so mighty!!!!!

FITNESS

Did 30 minutes on the elliptical (15 forwards and 15 backwards) did leg presses at 130 lbs for 3 full sets of 3 different positions. Then alternated on the hamstring and quad machines for 4 sets each increasing weights on both. Then calf raises at 100 lbs for 3 sets. Then did seated pectoral presses. Then did free weights for shoulders, bicep curls, dead lifts, and back flexes. BEAST.

MUSIC

Went through the entire Kanye West - Graduation album and then some. I like listening to some really sexist stuff when working out. I have no clue why.

Sore sore and more soreness. Plan is to go to the store today, as I'm running low on fresh produce, and to go to the gym before the football game. Go Houston Texans!!! Cardio and core is the game plan today with maybe a little upper body if I am feeling frisky. Also need to create and plan the meals for the week. This pesky working for a living gets in the way of everything! Gawsh. I kid. I love my job even if it is sedentary. I wish I could put a stationary bike under my desk. Gotta keep moving.

Weight this morning 193 lb.

I did not have time to go to the gym yesterday after going to the store, and maybe that was just as well. I took a really long nap and took it easy. I guess the body has to recover at some time. Gym tonight though. Definitely.

FOOD

Breakfast: bowl of cherry almond cereal with added nuts, seeds, and dried fruit, 1 banana and almond milk.

Lunch/Snacks: I plan to graze all day. I brought a knife and whole produce which I plan to cut and eat all day at work. The raw list for today is: half a bundle of kale, a green apple, a red apple, a pear, 2 large carrots, 1 avocado, 1 jimica, 1 tomato, and 1 red bellpepper.

Also LOTS of green tea.

One of my hearty vegan dinners from the weekend:

http://i50.tinypic.com/28mjoll.jpg

Amy's brand vegan rice mac and soy cheese

Tomato slices

Broccoli and vegan cheese

Gardein brand chik'n patties

RANT

I get made fun of all the time for my food choices, especially at work. Culturally, Texans are meat and potatoes fast food junkies, even if there is a growing population of people who actually care about themselves and the environment. If someone is on a diet, they get a frozen meal lean cuisine or a stoffers with nasty processed meat and cheese product containing more than a day's worth of sodium and fat. Then there's me at the table with my knife and fresh produce munching away. It's just annoying because it seems like it is every freaking day! Get over it, people! I eat veggies and fruit! Wow... so strange.

"Look at her being so good today with her veggies." I'm not just being good for today. This is my lifestyle.

"Haha, rabbit food." Yeah, and your food looks like poop, but I'm nice enough not to comment about it every time I see you eating it.

"Don't you ever get tempted to cheat?" No. Never. Ew.

"That looks disgusting and tasteless and boring." That's because your taste buds know only processed garbage and think that's real food. Also, my food is very pretty. It has color and life.

"It's amazing you're not skin and bone with as little nutrients as you eat." LOLOLOLOL... seriously? First of all, I get real nutrients from real food. Second of all, sedentary jobs and thyroids that don't function properly can make a person carry extra weight. Hence the exercise and journey to becoming an all vegan, all natural body builder.

"Turkey is vegan, right?" Slap yourself. Now.

Sometimes I want to smack people and tell them that they are the freaks. Not me. They don't even know where their food comes from.

I hear you on the rant girl! I live in Missouri and oh lord you say vegetables and you get instant stink face.... I am now getting ready to go back into a workplace environment and can tell it will be a difficult transition since they don't seem very fitness oriented..... not only that but I get to relearn night shift eating habits.....