Body Beast Wrap Up

Hey all,

For those who've been following along, I wanted to post final results of my extended Body Beast program.

**Note: Full detail and extra pics here: http://www.fitcoachdon.com/body-beast-wrap-up/

140 days. That’s right, 140 and Done. Yes, the program schedule is for 90 days, but after the first 40, I realized two things, 1) Thanksgiving would not be a whole lot of fun on the current schedule, and 2) if I really wanted to hit my goal of 175lb, I would need more quality time with the Sagi and the crew. So, I revised the schedule to cycle in two additional, shortened Build and Bulk cycles, before finishing with the regular Beast phase. I can honestly say it’s worked out perfectly.

What are the results you ask? Exactly what I was shooting for, but more on that below. What is even more important is what I learned during the program. I’ve been researching and experimenting with diet, as well as incorporating my NASM studies, with focus on movement and form. This program really does have a strong scientific core, and is truly effective in execution. It’s not may programs that I will fully endorse, but this is one of them. There’s a reason P90X has been around for over 10 years now and still going strong. It’s the simple fact that it works. Body Beast falls into that same category. Also just like P90X, you can modify as needed to achieve your personal goals.

Of course, no matter what program you choose, you have to do the work to see results. Body Beast is no different, and while it works, you will only get out of it what you put into it. It’s the choices you make on a daily basis, the time you invest, and the dedication to staying on track that enable you to reach your true potential. Thankfully I had The Fokust Life Collective, and the Body Beast Challenge Group to help keep me motivated and accountable through the entire program. A big shout out to my brothers and sisters who keep me going strong!!

Results

Okay, time for the fun part, the results.

Goals:

160lb, 10% bf

Strength increase of 20%

Actuals:

159.1lb, 10.7%

Strength increase of 35%

I tell ya, by the time I finished my final Bulk phase, I was SO SICK of eating. It was like a second job. Spreading it out to 8-9 meals a day helped quite a bit. But, I understand that I have a classic hard gainer ectomorph body type, so I knew that I would need to get serious with nutrition, both during the bulking period and during the cutting period (to ensure I don’t lose all that hard-earned mass). Last summer I spent a lot of time training for and running triathlons, and had a blast doing it. Unfortunately, this also meant I wasn’t exactly ‘built’. While I was putting in some good times and distances, I had dropped down to 145lb and strength, especially in my upper body, had dropping off considerably.

My goals for next summer still include some triathlons, but not as many. I plan to spend more time climbing and hiking this year, and want to reach a solid 160lb, 10% bf. So, for this program I set that as my final goal, due by Christmas. This would require a heavy Bulking phase goal of 175lb, +/- 18% bf. I’m happy to report, I’ve done it! Still a bit of lower belly pudge that I’ve had trouble getting rid of since high school, but I expected that, and already have lined up a strength/cardio program starting 12/31 which should take care of that by the end of February.

http://www.fitcoachdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Progress_Back-Arms_122212.jpg