(Brien's Jounral Entry #2) Birthdays & Fitness

Which Gel do you like?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This week started different then any other week 365 days prior because it was my birthday week. On July 9th I turn 31 and most people my age sit around and complain that they're not young any more, and say. "Everything changes when you get to 30!" Now I'm 31 and enjoying life more than ever. So I guess they are right about things changing. If we keep our eyes open to what life is trying to show us we will not be confused about our existence. To me I keep myself under control by saying. "All that is, and has always been will always be." So enjoy life don't take yourself so seriously. The body is vastly complex so like anything that is complex you have to take you time to understand it with little distractions.

Many of my friends asked me what are you doing for your birthday? Funny... The only thing I count think of doing is my workouts, and training appointments. So most of the time I just replied that I didn't know.

Tuesday July 9th my birthday rolls around and I get an email from Black Fitness Today that they wanted me to be one of their fitness ambassadors. This was a great highlight of my morning. They need a head shot from me and I needed to redo my fitness images on my website anyways. So I contacted Studio Texturea photography company here in Atlanta and we did a fitness shoot. I could not have been more happy with the way the images came out. Despite that the last few days I didn't have a chance to workout very much other than teaching kickboxing and my stretching and Yoga work.

http://www.exertfitnesstraining.com/sites/default/files/node_images/IMG_1916b.jpg

On Wednesday 18 other health and fitness enthusiast and professionals were selected to become BFT first fitness ambassadors. I celebrated by going to pool and continued reading the book I've been working on called "Thrive" by Brendan Brazier creator of Vega, a vegan health supplement. Thrive is a pretty good book so far. There is a lot of build up in the early chapters, but good reading. After hanging at the pool and having a beer as I chilled out, read, and did leg work poolside. I decided that I would continue my case study called "Train like Bane". This is a nine week study that I've been doing on High elevation training mask. I'm currently still testing my system so that I have a baseline, and in 2 weeks I will complete the first phase of training without the mask. I have no idea what will happen after the ninth week but there should be some nice data to analyze. This phase of TLB I doing at least a 13 mile run once a week. I'm not an endurance runner so I thought that this would give me an adequate amount of challenge where my life as an athlete would also not be much of a factor.

I get to the gym not the park this time. I decided that I would complete my run on the treadmill. For most people I talked to they have nothing but bad things to say about the treadmill. For me with now a lifetime of experience in the gym the treadmill is just another piece of equipment. I normally don't listen to music though, but knowing that I would be running and not actually moving anywhere I opted to listen to something this time. First I listen to a guided meditation, it was a "Sports self talk" that cover visualizing and action. After that I continued listening to relaxation music.

I have been trying different supplements the aid me through each run also. This time I tried GU marathon gel, and GU electrolytes two tablets with 40 oz of water. The Gel was delicious a friend give me two flavors, both having an excellent taste. First hour I tried Mandarin orange flavor, and the second flavor was Chocolate. And... Holy S*** it was awesome! I picked up the package again to make sure it was real. Wow! I think you can put that stuff in a cake and no one would know the difference. It packed 100 calories of delicious long run power! As for its effects It definitely felt like it lasted longer than Power bar's brand. The only thing that I didn't like is when I turned it over to check the ingredients it wasn't a lot that I could pronounce and even fewer ingredients that I knew what they were.

I finished my 13 mile treadmill run in 2:31 which is my fastest time technically. I know that some of this was to do with being inside on the treadmill, but I was pleased. This was a great birthday, and fitness week for me.

• 1 month later...

I am your age, a year older to be exact. I can definitely relate to what you are saying about people complaining rather than working to maintain their bodies. Happy belated birthday and thanks for sharing, definitely an insightful post.

-Dylan

• 2 weeks later...