Get Ripped or Die Trying

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always following your log, and i like to see your great results, and i am pretty curious about that single leg deadlift, never heard of it!

Keep up!

Hey thanks! I appreciate the encouragement. Here's a video of single leg deadlift - they are so good! They really hit the hamstring, and are great for balance. I should do them more often, really.

Saturday, December 20, 2014:

The Twelve Reps of Christmas, a Superset for Me...

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

2. Lo-Hi Woodchopper - 3 x 12* @ 35lbs

-

3. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

4. Hamstring Curl - 3 x 24 (+1)

-

5. Cross-Curls - 3 x 12* @ 50lbs

6. Overhead Tricep Press - 3 x 12* @ 25lbs

I love incline bench, really. Pullups are my second favorite, or maybe rows. Anyhow, today was fun training, and kind of took it easy as far as pace goes. Now time for some video games after a little cleaning up the house. Looking forward to some time off from work, and some holiday cheer.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014:

Upper Body Day

1. Bench - 3 x 12 @ 170lbs

2. Row - 3 x 12 @ 140lbs

-

3. Pullup Trio - 3 x 12

4. Circus Press - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs

-

5. Curls - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

6. Bar Dips - 3 x 15

Nothing special today really, just wanted to get in a session before company arrives, and I go into the final few days of the holiday season. Ready for spring to show up, but we have the worst bit of winter to endure yet. At least with the second half of the season comes boredom rather than the stress of Christmastime. After this year, boredom shall receive a warm welcome. However, I do believe that I am in for considerable change over the coming months, so even the calm of boredom might be evasive. I would prefer, however, the opportunity to solidify my relationships and center my aim for future endeavors. Without being too vague, I would very much enjoy the opportunity to become a father. It is something I think about on a regular basis; an urge that has no discernible origination, other than that of my primal instinct. Hopefully this dream may come into fruition within a short period of time, though many changes are in order simply to bring about a greater change. Anyhow, that is really what has been on my mind as of late. Also, eating too much. Looking forward to cutting back and slimming down a bit after the new year begins.

I doubt I will train tomorrow, so to all reading, happy holidays!

Saturday, December 27, 2014:

Full Body Quickset

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 15 @ 155lbs

2. Front Squat - 2 x 15 @ 100lbs

3. Incline Row - 2 x 15 @ 70lbs

4. Hammer Curl - 2 x 12 @ 50lbs

5. Military Press - 2 x 15 @ 70lbs

6. Russian Twist - 2 x 15 @ 35lbs

7. Close Stance Deadlift - 2 x 15 @ 100lbs

8. DB Skullcrusher - 2 x 15 @ 50lbs

Holidays = Family + Too Much Food/Beer + Stress + No Training = Generally Unhappy Me. Had to get this in today, even if it delayed our plans for the day. Haven't been "regular" for a few days, and it's really annoying. Generally disgusted with myself, and very restless; felt like I could sprint to the end of the Earth just wanting some time to myself. Anyhow, put on some heavy tunes and knocked this out quickly today. Broke a decent enough sweat to say it was worthwhile. Forgot how much I love training while listening to metal.

Monday, December 29, 2014:

Legs

1. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 210lbs

2. Long Jump - 3 x 16

-

3. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 170lbs

4. Football Drills - 3 x 4

-

5. Lateral Single Leg Stepup on 12" Bench - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

6. Skate Jumps - 3 x 24

Say what you will about squats and deadlifts, but damn if those single leg stepups were not the hardest mothers on Earth; I think they even best Bulgarian Split Squats. Maybe they seemed harder since they were at the end of the session? Anyhow, really focused on getting back on track diet-wise. I weighed in the other day at 169 and was super pissed at myself. Oh yeah, I ate a ton last week, and after all the junk food and stress of the season I think it finally caught up to me. Anyhow, I feel pretty good today, and diet is back in the right place. Definitely going to focus more on hydration in the future, as I was performing pitifully in that area as of late. Anyhow, speaking of eating - I'm starving now! Upper body tomorrow.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014:

Upper Body Supersets

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 15 @ 155lbs

2. Bent Over Row - 3 x 15 @ 150lbs

-

3. Pullup Trio - 3 x 15

4. DB Front Raise - 3 x 15 @ 35lbs

-

5. Military Press - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

6. Decline Chest Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

-

7. Curls - 3 x 15 @ 55lbs

8. Skullcrusher - 3 x 15 @ 55lbs

Fun to get in some volume today. Kind of took it easy pacing-wise, so it definitely could have been more intense; took about 60s+ between each set. Didn't break much of a sweat at all, but did get a solid pump. Grip strength is coming along nicely as well. I can tell my arms are getting bigger. Don't have much else going on, or to say, except that it's cold outside dammit. Got to thinking today that, beyond the holidays, there's really not much purpose for winter. It really is the worst season comparatively speaking. Anyhow, I'm hungry now, and looking forward to relaxing for the rest of the evening.

Was thinking of ordering Robert Cheeke's book and giving a go at some of the advice inside. I'd love to really lean out over the next few months. Has anyone here read it yet?

Core/Cardio tomorrow - last workout of the year!

Happy New Year, thanks for your support and being active on the forum here!

Happy New Year dude! What are you drinking tonight? I picked up this Wild Sour gose "Here Gose Nothin" from Destihl Brewery last week, and found it to be pretty tasty. Here's what BA had to say... http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16389/111989/ My favorite is the one guy that says "I guess I don't like sours bc this tasted like the worst sour patch kid mixed with salt and vomit" HAHA pretty much!

Wednesday, December 31, 2014:

Last Workout of 2014 (Core Day! 2 Rounds, Rest 30 Seconds)

1. Decline Reverse Crunch x 20

2. Side Plank w/ Rotation x 15*

3. High Knees x 50

-

4. Stability Ball Knee Driver x 20

5. Side Bends x 20 @ 45lbs

6. Burpees x 15

-

7. Bicycle Abs x 50

8. Oblique Dips x 15*

9. Sprint Lunges x 8

Fun little session today, and managed to break a nice sweat. Had some classic rock tunes driving me, and couldn't help but sing along. I think I'm pretty excited for 2015 as this year was kind of rough overall. I have this feeling like I'm going to make some big and very positive changes, so hopefully my gut is accurate! Anyhow, not going to spend any more of this sunny day on the computer, but it's not like I'm going outside!

Happy New Year all!

Saturday, January 3, 2015:

Upper/Lower Mega (Failed Sets)

1. Pushup Trio (I, S, D) - 3 x 50

2. Aussie Trio (W, N, S) - 3 x 15

3. Curl & Press - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

-

4. Front Squat - 3 x 15 @ 100lbs

5. Lateral Step-Up - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

6. Hamstring Curl - 3 x 25

Well I kind of blew today's training by sleeping horribly, and getting a later start than usual (due to terrible sleep, and then sleeping in). I seem to have this problem of waking up in the middle of the night, and then staying up for a couple hours. It really negatively affects the rest of my day as I then counter such activity with too much coffee throughout the day. In short, it's clearly a vicious cycle. The more coffee I drink, and the later into the day I consume such caffeine absolutely lowers the quality of my sleep. I certainly have a penchant for repetitive destructive behavior. At least I got something done today. Trying very hard to remain positive, and collect positive thoughts each day in this new year. A difficult task indeed, but worthy of merit. Back to work on Monday after a two week break, which I am sure will be very difficult. No assistance from the weather either as we have seen first significant snowfall of the season. Have some house projects to work on today, and not going to waste another moment of daylight.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015:

Upper Body Supersets

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 15 @ 160lbs

2. DB Snatch - 3 x 12* @ 35lbs

-

3. ChinUps - 3 x 15

4. Delt Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

-

5. Close Grip Curls - 3 x 15 @ 55lbs

6. Skullcrushers - 3 x 15 @ 55lbs

Definitely time to change up the routine because this was so boring today. I can tell my body has adapted to the training as well given that I felt like I was just going through the motions; and barely broke a sweat. That sucks. Going to have to seriously rally my motivation to get into some new training (aka do some HIIT/Insanity DVDs again). Not much else to say except that I just spilled a bunch of water on myself, so I'm gonna go and clean up. Legs tomorrow!

Wednesday, January 7, 2015:

5, 6, 7... Core (3 Rounds Planned, 2 Attempted)

1. Stability Ball Pike x 15

2. Weighted Oblique Dips x 15* @ 10lbs

3. Jacknives x 20 @ 25lbs

4. Side Bends x 20 @ 45lbs

5. Hanging Bicycle Abs x 40

-

6. Russian Twist x 25 @ 25lbs

-

7. Decline Situp x 15 @ 25lbs

Got interrupted making reservations for my wife's birthday on Saturday, so I kind of gave up on this session halfway through. Anyhow, nothing new to report today. Legs tomorrow.

Thursday, January 8, 2015:

Legs

1. Front Squat - 3 x 15 @ 110lbs

2. Long Jumps - 3 x 16

-

3. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 15* @ 55lbs

4. Belt Kicks - 3 x 30

-

5. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 15* @ 70lbs

6. Lunge Jumps - 2 x 20*

Crapped out on the last set of lunge jumps because I got too distracted dealing with house related stuff. It's ridiculously cold here right now, so everything is pretty miserable. Current temp is 12*F, but earlier today is was -8*F with a -35*F wind chill. Same as yesterday. Makes me think "why the fuck do I live here," and then I think, "well maybe there are better times that make it worthwhile." However, outside of my marriage, there's not much else I really care all that much about here. Sure, there are plenty of good restaurants and bars, etc. Overall though, this is a dirty dysfunctional city with high crime, high living cost, and low opportunity. My field is totally flooded with applicants, and the typical American capitalism you read about reigns supreme here (aka the employers exploit the fact that there are too many workers, and lower salaries despite qualifications). I guess that could be true of many places, but I live here. The trouble is that it seems exceedingly difficult to get out; something I haven't quite nailed down as of yet. Hopefully it's something we can do in the future, but for now I suppose I'll have to make the best. Anyhow, that's all I've got tonight. Taking tomorrow off, and then back for a full body pump on Saturday. Beers Saturday night.

Saturday, January 10, 2015:

Full Body Supersets

1. Decline Chest Fly - 3 x 20 @ 70lbs

2. Single Arm Row - 3 x 15 @ 90lbs

-

3. Reverse Lunge - 3 x 15* @ 70lbs

4. Hamstring Curl - 3 x 25

-

5. Neutral Grip Pullups - 3 x 15

6. Squat/Flip/Press - 3 x 15 @ 90lbs

Fun training today. COuld really feel it in the upper body, as well as on the lunges and hamstring curls. Seem to not be able to make it through training without getting hungry. What's up with that? Looking pretty lean in the mirror, which is nice. Must have really put on a lot of water weight over the holidays, so I'm happy to see that taper off. Started taking a B12 supplement, and have noticed my energy levels are much better. Not like I have a ton of energy, but I just don't feel so sluggish any more. Also taking some zinc and Vitamin D as I can tell this weather has me feeling horrible. Wanted to sleep all day today, but did manage to get things underway at a decent hour. Going out to dinner tonight so I'm sure I'll indulge a bit, plus there's a Packers game on tomorrow so I'll probably have kind of a heavy weekend. Maybe I'll control myself this time around.

Back on Tuesday. Have a great weekend all.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015:

Rest Day

Didn't train today, because today turned out to be total shit. On December 19 of last year I got a call for an interview, scheduled for today. After waiting nearly a month, I went to the interview today. When I arrived, they sat me down and informed me that the "position doesn't really exist right now, and we're not sure when it will exist, if ever." Then they proceeded to interview me for an hour. They weren't rude, but they also didn't say "hey, sorry for wasting your time here." What a crock of shit! Anyhow, it made me feel really worthless and sad. So I just came home and kind of sat here in the kitchen thinking about stuff. I'm super unhappy, overall. I really wish I could have something better, and it would be great to experience a new atmosphere/city.

So, by the time I felt like training, it was really too late in the evening... Thus, I decided to just pass on today. I'll get it in tomorrow.

Damn dude what a bunch of fuckers.. i am sorry to hear that, i know what you feel and it gets very hard sometimes especially when a city starts to become not very mentally healthy for you.. job opportunities, people, and so on.. I am moving hopefully to Vancouver soon so i know what you mean.. Things will change do not punish yourself too much and focus on good things because positivity brings positive things..

Good luck and hope you had fun with the workout today

Damn dude what a bunch of fuckers.. i am sorry to hear that, i know what you feel and it gets very hard sometimes especially when a city starts to become not very mentally healthy for you.. job opportunities, people, and so on.. I am moving hopefully to Vancouver soon so i know what you mean.. Things will change do not punish yourself too much and focus on good things because positivity brings positive things..

Good luck and hope you had fun with the workout today

Yeah man, it sucked pretty bad. Vancouver sounds really cool, hopefully that will be a good opportunity for you. It's funny you mention positivity leading to positive things because I'm really working on trying to manifest more positive energy in my life. I've spent a lot of time on negativity, and apparently blocking what might be. No longer. Thanks for checking in buddy.

... And I did have some fun training today, even if it was a little repetitive.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015:

Upper Body Supersets

1. Decline Close Grip Bench - 3 x 15 @ 100lbs

2. Row - 3 x 15 @ 150lbs

-

3. Close Grip Aussie Pullups - 3 x 15 @ 25lbs

4. Military Press - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

-

5. Curls - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

6. Overhead Tricep Extension - 3 x 15* @ 25lbs

Pretty good training today. Feeling more positive as noted above. The curls felt great too, not a lot of swinging the weight up. Really tried to focus on just curling straight up, and keeping the elbows in check. Could have done more weight on the close grip bench, and loved the aussie pullups today. Those are really a nice break from regular pullups. Made a huge salad for dinner... Really love eating clean and putting down the greens. I truly believe they help in flushing out all the crap that builds up inside. That's all for tonight. Back tomorrow for legs.

Thursday, January 15, 2015:

LEGS

1. Sumo Squats - 3 x 15 @ 210lbs

2. Squat Jump - 3 x 15

-

3. Deadlift - 3 x 15 @ 170lbs

4. Reverse Lunge Kicks - 3 x 15*

-

5. Single Leg Lateral StepUp - 3 x 15* @ 50lbs

6. Lunge Jumps - 3 x 20

Tough training today... Really tough. Was hungry as fuck right in th emiddle too, which sucks. Also, I wanted to die during those lateral stepups. Those hit so hard for so little weight. Honestly, the hardest leg exercise I've done in a long while. They need a better name... I think I might call them the "Humbler;" for reasons that are obvious. I'd really recommend doing those, and on an 18" box or bench as well. Any lower and you'd lose some of the benefit. Was really starving after this, so I came upstairs and put down a ton of food. Taking tomorrow off, and back for some full body work on Saturday.

Saturday, January 17, 2015:

Upper/Core Giant Sets

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 15 @ 165lbs

2. Decline Delt Fly - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

3. Stability Ball Knee Drivers - 3 x 20

-

4. Pullup Trio - 3 x 15 (wide/neutral/supinated)

5. Circus Press - 3 x 15* @ 35lbs

6. Oblique Dips - 3 x 20*

-

7. Curls - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

8. Tricep Kickback - 3 x 15* @ 25lbs

9. Bicycle Abs - 3 x 60

Tried one of those Vega Pre-Workout Energizer packets today before training, and I can definitely say it helped me power through. Also, my mental focus seemed better, though I did get hungry about half-way through so I had to stop and eat a pear for some quick energy. Didn't feel jittery at all, as I was concerned given that I had consumed two cups of coffee about an hour before training. Instead, I just felt alert and focused - exactly what I wanted! I will say this, however: the flavor = awful. I had to mix in a splash of apple juice to get it down suitably. Otherwise I could see myself using those whenever I feel sluggish of unfocused; maybe even in the evening.

Anyhow, today's training was fun and intense. Just as it should be! I stayed away from legs today since my hams and inner thigh are really sore from the other day. I really feel like I'm making some solid gains though. I should put up a progress pic sometime soon and see what you guys think, maybe.

Made an awesome beans/grain/vegetable lunch, and sprinkled some "Go Veggie" cheez on top, only to find bits of mold on the cheez. First I thought "hey, it's cheese, no big deal if there's a little mold." Then I remembered I was dealing with soy(?) cheez, and mold probably isn't such a good idea lol. No need to die over lunch!

Going to chill for the rest of the day, maybe play some video games, and just relax. Eating clean tonight as tomorrow is a playoffs game, and my wife's holiday party for her job (don't ask why so late). Back Tuesday. Have a good weekend!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015:

Upper Body Supersets

1. Decline Chest Fly - 3 x 20 @ 70lbs

2. Incline Bench Row - 3 x 20 @ 70lbs

-

3. Close Grip Decline Inverted Row (Aussies) - 3 x 15 @ 25lbs

4. Delt Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

-

5. Curls - 3 x 20 @ 55lbs

6. Skullcrusher - 3 x 20 @ 55lbs

Not going to lie, I did not feel like training at all today. Most likely explains the somewhat uninspired session I have here. I feel like I should always be doing something different, and yet here I feel as if I've stumbled into somewhat of a rut; or at least a point to where I feel like I need to change things up. I should check back through old workouts and steal some exercises. Anyhow, today I felt tired and pretty crappy overall. Maybe lingering effects of Monday's hangover, which really wasn't all that unpleasant. Slept horribly last night though as our little dog was up having seizures thanks to the coming snow. I fucking hate snow, and not for that reason alone. So I had to force myself to finish this session off, even though my body felt like crap. I had some kind of indigestion as well which kind of affected my mood and speed. Strange day, really.

Back tomorrow for legs. Going to hit some high reps at low-ish weight.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015:

Legs (Failed Sets

1. Front Squat - 3 x 15 @ 110lbs

2. Long Jumps - 3 x 16

-

3. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 15* @ 55lbs

4. Football Drills - 2 x 3

-

5. Front DB StepUp - 3 x 15* @ 50lbs

6. Hamstring Curls - 3 x 25

Feeling pretty awful today. Poor sleep, disappointing news, sickly. Just kind of shit all around. That's all I've got.

Thursday, January 22, 2015:

Day of Rest

Better day today. Feeling really tired though from all the stress/bullshit of this week. Also feeling like I could develop a cold, so I'm going to take it easy tonight. My mind isn't in it anyhow. Back on Saturday to try out this German Body Comp workout I read about today. Seems interesting. If I like it, I might use it to change things up for a while.

Here's a link to what I read: http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/best-body-recomposition-workout

See you Saturday.

Saturday, January 24, 2015:

German Body Comp

1. Flat Bench - 3 x 12 @ 165; 2012

2. Close Stance Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 140lbs; 2020

-

3. Neutral Grip Pullups - 3 x 12; 2020

4. Walking Lunge - 3 x 10* @ 70lbs; 2020

-

5. Curls - 3 x 12 @ 55; 3030

6. Hamstring Curls - 3 x 12; 2020

Feeling much better today. Definitely benefited from some extra rest. I think things had been so stressful lately that my training was just adding more stress on top, compounding the issue. Anyhow, today I gave the German Body Comp training I mentioned the other day a try. I have to say, it was a definite change up, and harder than I imagined. It certainly requires more mental focus than just pushup up plates, in my opinion. It was tough to focus on the count (i.e. those numbers at the end of each set up there), and keep track of reps. The numbers, by the way, represent: (1) Up/Down; (2) Hold; (3) Down/Up; (4) Hold.

I could see why this training is so great, with the timing, and the split between upper and lower body. I'll definitely give it another go next week... but for now, it's actually above freezing outside, so I'm going to take the dog for a walk.

Have a great weekend!