Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks mate. It's about 1:30pm here, so, six hours? Maybe I'll hit up your madbarz routine today. Though, I am pretty tired, so I might take the evening off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:45 pm 
Gorilla

Wednesday, February 26, 2014:

Core Day

Took a cue from my buddy Ross here and did one of those MadBarz workouts; specifically the Medium Level - Frank's Killer Abs. I modified it a bit to make it more difficult (sorry Ross - haha!), and came up with the following:

Three Rounds - No Rest Between Exercises, and 45 Seconds Rest Between Rounds

1. Decline Leg Raise x 15 (sitting backwards on a declined bench, grip the top with both hands, legs straight, raise them up)
2. Mountain Climber x 25 (this is the same as their "Half Burpee")
3. Jacknifes x 15 @ 25lbs (same as the "Laying Down Raised Leg Feet [sic Foot] Touches" but holding a 25lb DB)
4. Bicycle Abs x 50 (I hate Mountain Climbers, or Half Burpees)
5. Right Side Plank w/ Oblique Crunch x 15 (same as pictured, but planking on the side not working)
6. Left Side Plank w/ Oblique Crunch x 15 (see above)
7. Mountain Climber x 25

Honestly should have done four rounds, as this took about 20 minutes. Usually I cound numbers 5 & 6 as a single exercise, so maybe add one extra thing in next time. However, I did notice a solid burn throughout the entirety, so I'm sure I'll feel this tomorrow!

On a different note - BIG NEWS! MY GYM IS CLOSING!!! That means....? I'm getting out of my training contract! Yesss! Couldn't have come at a better time either, as I was starting to worry a bit about money. Will be nice to have a significant chunk of change refunded to me. Moreover, I am now free to train as I please! Back to regimented, planned, and fucking orderly training! So excited!

Going for legs tomorrow. Here's the training map, and here's what I had for dinner (bulgur, silver zucchini, edemame, peas, sriracha, and some mango salsa)

Attachments:
2.26 Dinner.jpeg
2.26 Dinner.jpeg [ 151.07 KiB | Viewed 541 times ]
FranksKillerAbs.jpg
FranksKillerAbs.jpg [ 116.95 KiB | Viewed 541 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 am 
Batman

What the fuckkkk! Hahaha I find the medium workouts look so tough! I think it's because I've never really done a lot of the exercises lol! Maybe il give a medium ab workout a try :)
Frank is so awesome! Was watching some of his vids recently, it's ridiculous! Good news about the gym then dude :D are you moving to a better one also?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:47 pm 
Gorilla

Saturday, March 1, 2014:

Saturday Pump

1. 200 Pushups (4 ways, 4 sets of 50: wide, diamond, staggered, incline)
2. Delt Raise 3 x 15 @ 50lbs
3. Incline Row 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

4. DB Squat 3 x 20 @ 70lbs
5. Good Mornings 3 x 15 @ 70lbs
6. Bulgarian Split Squat 3 x 12 @ 60lbs

7. DB Pullover 3 x 10 @ 70lbs
8. Bicep Curl 3 x 10 @ 70lbs
9. 100 Dips across 3 sets

First day of absolute freedom from moving, or doing anything unrelated to my own house! FUCKING THANK GOD! I have a bunch of stuff to do today anyway... Ironic, yes.

Anyhow, to tell you Ross, I might not even join another gym for a while. There is one a bit down the way from our new house, but it is $50/month, and I'm not sure I would use it enough to justify the cost. I'm pretty sure I would only hit that place up maybe once or twice per week, so I don't think that's worth the price tag. Maybe in a couple months when the weather gets better - and I can jog up there and back (it's about a mile away). But, if I can make solid strength gains with bodyweight exercises, and the weights I have, why the hell would I join a gym? It's not like I was going there to do powerlifting anyhow, right? So, as I said, I'm not doing shit today - so let the relaxing begin!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:22 am 
Batman

4 sets of 50 push-ups!? You nutter :| haha

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:13 pm 
Gorilla

vegan_rossco wrote:
4 sets of 50 push-ups!? You nutter :| haha

You know this!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:21 pm 
Gorilla

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Leg Day

1. Front Squats - 3 x 20 @ 70lbs
2. Squat Jumps - 3 x 20
3. Angled Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs
4. Lunge Jumps - 3 x 15
5. Close Stance Straight Leg Deadlift - 2 x 12 @ 70lbs
6. Single Leg StepUp - 2 x 10* @ 50lbs on 24" box

Not going to lie, I felt like crap after all those damn jumps. Kind of destroyed the rest of the session for me. Felt queasy, and possibly low blood sugar. Hence, I wimped out on my final superset :roll: Probably doesn't help that I woke up at 3:45AM today, and could not fall back asleep. Actually, fell asleep on the train today on the way home from work. Kind of feel like sleeping right now haha. Simply cannot get enough fats lately. All I want to do is sleep, and eat almonds. Anyhow, I wanted to elevate my blood sugar after training, so I had some kiwi, and ...... some almonds haha! I'll be back at it tomorrow, probably core, or maybe some upperbody stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:53 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Your workout was probably a combination of not enough and like you suggested, possibly compounded by a nutrition factor. But hey we all get days like that and I am sure you will make up for it on your next session.

Keep up the good work with your training though, even the one above looks pretty decent on paper! Oh and don't eat too many kiwi's... we're endangered lol.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:58 pm 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Your workout was probably a combination of not enough and like you suggested, possibly compounded by a nutrition factor. But hey we all get days like that and I am sure you will make up for it on your next session.

Keep up the good work with your training though, even the one above looks pretty decent on paper! Oh and don't eat too many kiwi's... we're endangered lol.

Ahha, yes, I'll refrain from Kiwi consumption! I'm sure you're right about my weakness yesterday. I'm also going to take advantage and blame the endless winter we are experiencing. Too many days of -45*F weather with the wind chill. Can't wait for spring, and then summer, as we plan to attempt a raw diet. Going to eat plenty of kiwis then haha!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 pm 
Gorilla

Wednesday, March 5, 2014:

Upper Body Day

1. 3 Way Pushups - 3 x 25 each (wide, incline diamond, and divebomber)
2. Bent Over Row - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

3. 3 Way DB Bench - 3 x 12/20/15 @ 70lbs (Incline Fly, Decline Wide Grip, and Flat Bench Close Grip)
4. Close Grip Curls - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

5. Delt Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs
6. Dips - 3 x 40

7. Concentration Curl - 3 x 10* @ 25lbs
8. Incline Wide Pushups x 25

Just had to get in an even 100 pushups for the day haha! Felt pretty good today while training. No sapping of energy like yesterday, and probably because I slept pretty well last night (not perfect though). Keep wondering whether I should join up at another gym, or invest in some weights. Either way, I'm not really in the position to be spending a lot of money on things right now as pretty much every penny is going into buying things for the house. Anyone want to come help me install a fence? You can get in a solid upper body workout lugging wood, and concrete around! haha.

Anyhow, it's been nearly unbearably stressfull lately, and I've been feeling pretty down in general. A lot of big changes going on too, many of which are completely out of my control. The Mrs. and I are trying to figure out where we would like to be, long term, despite just buying this house. Often times I feel as if it was a bit of a mistake overall. Hopefully it will pay off though, financially speaking. One of those crazy things happening is that I nearly lost my job to a layoff, as it were. The judge I'm working for is being transferred to another division; one where she doesn't have a staff which includes someone in my position. I was kind of at the whim of the new incoming judge, and whether she would want to keep me on. Thankfully she did, and the trouble passed in a day. Still, it was unsettling to feel so vulnerable; and to possibly put the entire burden of our financial obligations on my wife. Unfortunately, most of what we can do at this point is dream about the future. I'm kind of in a transition period in my career (and at the beginning of a new career, really), so it is very difficult to just pick up and move anywhere. Ugh... That's enough venting about non-training related stuff. Sorry if I tend to get personal on here, but hey, I guess this is my best form of a blog.

Core tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:11 pm 
Gorilla

Thursday, March 6, 2014:

Core Day - 2 Rounds, Rest 1 Minute Between

1. Frogger Jumps x 15 | Mountain Climbers x 25
2. Decline Weighted Situp x 12 @ 25lbs
3. Side Plank w/ Crunch x 15*
4. Russian Twist x 15 @ 25lbs
5. Decline Reverse Crunch x 15
6. Side Bends x 20* @ 35lbs
7. Jacknife x 15 @ 25lbs
8. Bicycle Abs x 50
9. Weighted Toe Touch x 12 @ 25lbs
10. Back Extension x 15

Good and quick training today. I find core training to be the easiest, though certain exercises on my back (regular situps, etc.) always make me feel queasy. I've read it could be an inner ear thing. I try to keep my time in that position minimized (except for when I'm busy doing something else :wink: :lachmal: ) Anyhow, really looking forward to taking tomorrow off, as I'm just pooped in general.

Had our first real scare today with the house, as the burglar alarm was tripped about 2pm. Got a call from the alarm company that the motion sensor tripped. Pretty sure it was a cat moving a curtain across the sensor (which was installed too close to the curtains). I'll move the stupid thing over a couple inches, and that should solve the problem. Shitty thing was that the cops never showed (probably because I canceled the call - even though I was told they "cannot be canceled, once called"). Good thing was that it only took me 10 minutes to get home from work when taking a cab. Oh well, all is well that ends well, I suppose. Now for some dinner!

See you Saturday - maybe for 250 pushups!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:44 pm 
Gorilla

Saturday, March 8, 2014:

Saturday Pump

1. BB Bench - 3 x 12 @ 155/145/145lbs
2. Bent Over Row - 3 x 12 @ 125lbs
3. Close Grip Curl - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

4. Squat - 3 x 12/15/15 @ 255/135/155lbs (explanation below)
5. Squat Jump - 3 x 15
6. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 145lbs

7. Close Grip Bench - 3 x 12 @ 105lbs
8. Delt Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs
9. Hammer Curl - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

Ok, so first order of business... I've been tossing the idea around of either joining at the YMCA down the street for $50/mo, or building my own gym here at home. Well, I've made the decision to......

BUILD MY OWN GYM - FUCK THE Y! Seriously though, I found some weights on Craigslist, along with a bench/squat rack, and pulled the trigger for $250.00. Included was a flat bar, ez grip bar, the rack w/ pins, and 2 of each of the following weights: 45, 35, 25, 10, 5, and 2.5lbs. Steal of the year! Most of the olympic plate weights around here for about $2 per pound, so that would be a total of $490.00 for the weights alone, and probably another $250 for the rack/pins/barbells/barbell stand/weight tree. So, it looks like I saved myself about $500 today! WOOT! But here's the short end: I'll probably need to get more weights soon, especially for squats.

Speaking of squats, my numbers were all messed up today given that: (1) I haven't done heavy squats in about a month; (2) I don't have a mirror in my gym to check form, or re-rack; and (3) I don't have one of those pad things for the bar. With the first set of 255, my traps were totally killing, and probably bruised. Anyhow, I opted for lower weight, higher reps, and then an increase on the final set.

Either way, training at home with my own weights was the shit! Now I never have to lie down in some filthy dirtbag's sweat pool! Haha. Anyhow, it's a cheat day here - so that means pizza, and beer! Have a good weekend boys (and girls).

Oh yeah, here's the setup!

Attachments:
NewGym!.jpeg
NewGym!.jpeg [ 112.7 KiB | Viewed 444 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:34 pm 

Building your own gym,, VERY cool. I am jealous !!

So what pizza did you eat and what beer did you drink?..

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:24 pm 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Building your own gym,, VERY cool. I am jealous !!

So what pizza did you eat and what beer did you drink?..

Thanks buddy, I'm excited to have some solid gear. Pizza last night was standard veggies and daiya style cheeze (peppers, onion, mushrooms, zucchini "pepperoni"). I posted a recipe here somewhere under the Recipes section. As for beers, I had a few All Day IPA's by Founders, some Cross of Gold (golden ale) by Revolution Brewing (local to Chicago), this Flanders Red called "Stupid Sexy Flanders" from Sun King (I think from Indiana - pic below)... Then, today we drove up to Milwaukee and bought a shitload of amazing beer from this brewery called New Glarus - check out the score!

Must get in some solid training tomorrow to work some of these calories off!

Attachments:
Beers!.jpeg
Beers!.jpeg [ 172.89 KiB | Viewed 430 times ]
StupidSexyFlanders.jpeg
StupidSexyFlanders.jpeg [ 66.87 KiB | Viewed 430 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:29 am 

Whoa, looks like a nice haul !!

Image @MiniForklift

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 31  Next