Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ravingrunner ~ Training and Diet Journal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:35 am 
Rabbit

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Great storm photo !!!

Have fun with the duathlons, what are the distances of them? I always liked racing them, the simplicity of their nature and structure appealed to me and the fact I didn't have to worry about getting kicked in the face in the swim.

Whereabouts in Arizona are you headed to?

Thanks.

They are short races, the first one is 3 mile run 18 mile bike 3 mile run and the second one is a 2 mile run, 10 mile bike and 2 mile run. I am not anywhere near being ready to seriously compete yet, but I want to get back in the game and get the feel for races again. So I choose to start small and with easy lay outs. Both are relatively flat ground. I'm going to use both races as sort of a training day. Testing the waters so to speak, because I'm not really that prepared. I've been very focused on running and I haven't really done very many bricks and those distances I don't anticipate a problem. I will be adding in some bricks over the next few weeks though.

The best part is they are both female only races and very social races. Both have basically bubbly bars and food afterward. So lots of socializing! It's the perfect place to meet women! LOL, I haven't had a date in while.

{I'll post race details & pics when the time comes.}

Tuscon! I'm thrilled for the opportunity to go train in Arizona for a while!

http://ravingrunner.com/

http://instagram.com/ravingrunner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:44 pm 
Rabbit

I did actually manage a half ass workout today, and I started my cut! Will post it all up tomorrow.

I made almond spiced tofu ice cream with a low sugar caramel like sauce and pan fried peaches. It was fucking radical. I don't why tofu gets such a bad rep? I love the stuff! This recipe actually makes two servings of ice cream but I ate both and even with that, the fried peaches & sauce it still only came up to 236 calories and 12 grams of protein! Not bad for a yummy sweet dessert!

Ingredients
6 oz of silken or soft tofu
1/4 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
sweeten with stevia to your own taste
1/2 to 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spices

Blend till creamy and run through a single serve ice cream maker.

1 peach sliced

Pan fry till they start to brown just a few minutes. I sprayed my pan with a little grapeseed oil. You can any pan release or spray type stuff. If you don't mind the extra calories coconut oil or spread works great. After they have browned a little add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water and just let that boil down till there's like just a few about maybe 2 tablespoons or so left in the pan and then toss in about 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, a little more is you want more sauce. With the fruit juices in the pan it cooks down fast and almost immediately turns to a thick sauce. So be prepared. And don't worry about not having enough water or to much water or anything like that. If you need more water add it if you have to much just cook a bit longer it's easy and idiot proof.

Once it's all done serve it up.

You could sweeten this with agave if you choose, it'll actually probably be better then the stevia. I just choose to limit the sugar where I could.

I have never tried to freeze tofu ice cream so I have no idea what happens to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:43 pm 
Rabbit

Not nearly as romantic as I would have liked! Oh jeeze this will not be a good week! I came into this run with two days off . I had hoped that during that time my heel would have healed. Not so, if you saw back a few days ago it looked bruised? Two days before that I had been stung by something on the trails mountain biking. As the bruised healed in transitioned to more of bullseye mark and now it's very painful. It's feels like there is something in inside it. I suffered through the run, then went to the doc who sorta dug around in it to see if maybe a stinger or something was indeed inside my foot. Nothing and now it hurts even more. I'm soaking it warm water and epsom salt. Don't know what else I can about it, except wait.

Today's very humbling run..

DISTANCE 3.00 mi
DURATION 39m:48s
AVG. SPEED 13:16 min/mi
MAX. SPEED 11:32 min/mi
CALORIES 332 kcal
HYDRATION 0.54L
AVG. HEART RATE 137
MAX. HEART RATE 157
WEATHER Mostly cloudy night
WIND 4.3 mph ↖
TEMPERATURE 72°F
HUMIDITY 88%
Aside from the heel pain, which if I didn't mention actually stings and hurts like hell. I also just felt off. I just didn't feel connected with my muscles. Nothing felt in sync.

Iso Strengthening for the lower back.

2x20 on all exercises

Hip flexors (quads, floor work)
Hamstring (lifts, floor work)
Hip abductors
Hip adductors
Glute leg lifts
Hip external rotators (with therabands)
Hip internal rotators (with therabands)
Sacrospinalis
Core Strengthening

Spinal rotations
Russian twists
Core Stabilizers
Rolling knee kegels
Reverse crunches
Leg raises
Unstable bridges
Supplements:

1 zantrax prerun
1 multi
extra vit K
Sleep 6:52 hours @ 80% efficiency

Total Training Time 1:30 hour

Stats:

Fasted Blood sugar 89
Blood pressure 115/85
Rested Heart Rate 51 (little high)
Cardiac Stress 2% (very good)
Hydration:

Prerun 8 oz
Post run 16 oz
Calorie Totals:

Burned 2381 ( a few hundred short of my daily goal)
Consumed 1132 (also short of my daily goal)
Deficit 1249 (also short of my daily goal)
Fat 49
Carbs 118
Protein 48 (yes short of my daily goal)
Breakfast: post run

Herbal coffee w/ soy creamer ~ 1 scoop vegan protein powder w/ 1 cup vanilla almond milk unsweetened

Lunch: Image

Tofu with an indian vindaloo sauce, spinach, noodles, onions, peppers, carrots, zucchini

Snacks: Image

Tofu ice cream and fried peaches

Dinner:

dark chocolate and sea salt almond bar (maybe not the best dinner)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:45 am 
Rabbit

Amazing Vegan fudge.

So easy 3/4 cup of coconut butter melted down in a double boiler with 1 tsp of vanilla, 2 ounces of cocoa, and agave or stevia to taste. About 1/4 of cup. I poured the melted mixture into 2 oz plastic souffle cups with lids. The refrigerator about 4 hours. It pops easily out of the cups.

If you don't have a double boiler.. like me I don;t have one. I just took a big glass bowl and set in a pot. LOL I'm not sure how safe that is though.

This is what's amazing about this. My coach actually recommended this recipe to me to eat before I run. I get stomach aches really easy. I tend to get them running so I run fasted a lot. I'm working on figuring out what I can eat before and during runs that want aggravate my stomach. So my coach suggested coconut butter! OK honestly I thought he was crazy. I'm still not sure this will work because I don't have my first long run this week till tomorrow. So we will see.

Any way he suggested I eat 1/2 cup of coconut butter the first day and then 1/4 cup every morning before I run. So I did that yesterday, and then agin this morning and I have to admit that my stomach feels much better today. Which is shocking because I've had a nagging stomach for more then a year now! Ofcoarse it's only been one day so I'll see it last. Then I need to go do some research and see why coconut butter might be help my stomach ache. LOL cause I have no idea.

The real test will be tomorrow when I have to do a long run.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:19 pm 
Rabbit

Wow, the moon is so bright this morning! It looked amazing.

Another humbling run. My heel is just extremely painful today. It’s uhm.. ugly, puffy and swelling up like it’s getting infected. I suspect it’s just my body trying to get ride of whatever is in it. It feels like something is under the skin. Any pressure on it makes it sting and burn. I can feel something in it. I’ll keep soaking it

DISTANCE 4.16 mi
DURATION 55m:13s
AVG. SPEED 13:17 min/mi
MAX. SPEED 10:02 min/mi
CALORIES 484 kcal
HYDRATION 0.88L
AVG. HEART RATE 141
MAX. HEART RATE 162
WEATHER Clear night
WIND 6.8 mph ↑
TEMPERATURE 72°F
HUMIDITY 82%
DE & RE Upper body work sets reps weights

Plyo push ups 4×12
Pull ups 4x 12
Scarecrows 4×12 @ 15 & 15
Super set of front & side lateral DB raises 3×8 @ 15 & 15 for both
Super set of hammer curls & kickbacks 3×8 @ 20 & 20 for both
Shrugs 4×15 @ 45 & 45
Rice Digs ….
Supplements:

1 zantrax prerun
1 multi
extra vit K

I didn’t get all my stats today, I didn’t track my cals ect.. I will share my lunch with you though!

I just made this up so call it whatever you want. I called it a bowl of soup.

I made it with 1 1/2 cup veggie broth, some mushrooms, garlic, red peppers, spinach, coconut seasoning sauce and Shirataki noodles. Basically lightly boil a few a minutes and that’s about it. Just long enough to cook the veggies some.

In case you don’t know coconut seasoning sauce is like a vegan version of soy sauce.It’s one of my favorite vegan products because it gives that Asian flavor to foods that soy sauce does. Only it’s a lot lower in sodium then soy sauce so it’s a great option for those on low sodium diets. It’s also gluten free and a good source of liquid aminos.Image

Also Shirataki noodles is another favorite of mine. They are vegan, gluten free and calorie free! Yes calorie free! They are made out of yam flour, they aren’t genetically engendered and they don’t have any preservatives. Mostly they are just water and glucomanna and a water-soluble dietary fiber. Image

I also tried making fresh veggie rolls like I get at the Thai restaurant , but it didn’t look so pretty so I’ll have to practice those.

Mine which looks like I stuffed my salad in a condom.. Image

..and the Thai restaurants which looks insanely sexy for food. Image

I’ll keep working on these.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:27 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Damn you and your food haha. Looks stunning.

We had an amazingly bright full moon here in New Zealand as well, plus a pretty amazing lightning storm last night !!! Enjoy your weekend and go easy on that heel, sounds a bit nasty MF.

WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl
Image http://www.youtube.com/user/kiwilifter?feature=mhee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:55 am 
Rabbit

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Damn you and your food haha. Looks stunning.

We had an amazingly bright full moon here in New Zealand as well, plus a pretty amazing lightning storm last night !!! Enjoy your weekend and go easy on that heel, sounds a bit nasty MF.

Yeah the heels a little fucked up. By the way it looks today I think it was actually a spider bite. We have high population of brown recluse spiders here. The area I mountain bike in a thriving wilderness spot. It's packed with deer, turkey's and along with those come a high amount of ticks and spiders.

For for a spider bite the presentation was a bit strange, but in my training group we've had among us 4 of 5 of these types of spider bites and each one has presented differently. I assume the amount of venom injected may be partially responsible for that.

I don't think I was subjected to a large amount of venom. I say that because the only stage I didn't go through was the blistering before the skin started to ulcerate. Somebody people move through the stages fast and other move through them more slowly.

These are the stages..
Stages
When you are bitten by this type of spider there are three stages that a person can go through.

Stage 1
As mentioned there is just a stinging sensation but no pain but after approximately six hours the enzymes like Sphingomyelinase D, start to damage the tissues in your body. This starts to trigger immune responses from your immune system to separate the venom. By the time you are in this stage you are starting to feel intense pain along with itching. You may also experience:

Inflammation
In some cases, the formulation of pustules
Blistering
Stage 2
At this stage the spider bite progresses to involve the destruction of your red blood cells, causing the supply of oxygen to your skin where the bite occurred to stop. When your skin is denied the oxygen it needs your skin begins to turn gray and in the middle of this area of grey skin there is a small red-colored spot. This spot is caused by the bite of the spider and around that skin area there may be a halo that is light red in color.

Stage 3
At this stage, if the venom has reached your bloodstream through the capillaries, it could start to affect your whole body. This condition is called systemic loxoscelism. You can identify this stage by the gray skin of stage 2 along with these other symptoms.

Fever
Chills
Nausea
Dizziness
You may also have a rash with small dots that are red-colored on areas of your body that did not have a bite. This condition is referred to as morbilliform rash. When your body has this condition it signals that the venom the brown recluse spider injected into your body with a bite is not circulating in your whole bloodstream. If it has entered your blood stream it can lead to kidney failure, seizures, and even a coma so it is imperative that at this stage you seek immediate treatment.

I had this stinging & burning sensation the first day, but there really wasn't anything to it. It just looked like a bug bite ir maybe I picked up a sticker. Then I got the next morning and it looked liked a huge bruise only it burned instead of feeling like a bruise. Then the next day or maybe 2 days later it turned to a bulls eye like mark. Which actually I though it was going away so I didn't take a pic of that stage. Then the redness started fading but it still stung. Then last night I woke in intense pain. Like strong muscle cramps, nauseated and these odd stabbing like pains. Starting late last night and this morning the skin completely began to dissolve, ulcerate.

No worries though I'm doing better this morning, I went and showed the doc and took my notes and he gave me antibiotics and creams to help.

This is what looks now.. and despite how it looks it's hurting less. Image

It hurts to remove and was the dying tissue but it's a good idea to keep that washed away. I've been bitten by one before so I know the drill.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And I'm sharing all of this because if you mountain bike, hike or run in an area that has ticks, venomous spider of other bugs. It is important to get notes, pics and time lines on anything some bites, or anything you are uncertain about. This info can help doctors at a later date. It can also help you learn what to do in the future when it happens again.

For tick bites it's a good idea if you can to actually save the tick for a while. This is simple, remove the tick by gripping (not with your hands if you can avoid this) close to the skin as possible, you want to grasp his head not his body and pull it away from you without twisting. Then drop the tick in a plastic bag with like a damp cotton ball or something like that.

Most ticks don't carry diseases but the ones that do can be nasty. Saving the tick means the tick can be tested if you start to have any symptoms.

On long hikes, or rides when I don't have tweezers available I use a piece of dental floss looped around the ticks head to pull them off. Anything to avoid to squeezing them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:57 am 
Rabbit

LOL, I should probably apologies for there being food and injuries on the same page. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:59 am 
Rabbit

Damn i got something like that too not so much time ago! I had it walking barefoot on a rocky reef in Spain at Fuerteventura, a surftrip had in may (i know i deserved it :()!
Get well soon! Oh... and nice rools xD!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:31 am 
Rabbit

Rigelol wrote:
Damn i got something like that too not so much time ago! I had it walking barefoot on a rocky reef in Spain at Fuerteventura, a surftrip had in may (i know i deserved it :()!
Get well soon! Oh... and nice rools xD!

LOL I get bit by something that makes me sick at least once a year. :) My Monday it will just be another story.

I love Spain! It is one of my favorite places in the world. Unfortunately surfing is one of the few sports I've yet have the opportunity to learn. I would love to one day though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:53 am 
Rabbit

Running – long and slow

DISTANCE 8.51 mi
DURATION 1h:43m:09s
AVG. SPEED 11:16 min/mi
MAX. SPEED 9:31 min/mi
CALORIES 938 kcal
HYDRATION 1.00L
AVG. HEART RATE 145
MAX. HEART RATE 157
WEATHER Clear night
WIND 8.7 mph ↓
TEMPERATURE 59°F
HUMIDITY 76%

Notes: Heel didn’t hurt to bad. Very tight muscles, my back tightened so much post run I was afraid to do any stretches, so I warmed the muscles in a hot shower, then stretched in the shower.

ME Upper body *sets x reps @ weights*

DB Snatches 3×3 on each weight, each side 20 – 22.5 – 25 – 30 -35 -40 – 45
DB snatch & Hold over head 1×3 @ each side 25 – 30 -35 -40 -45
DB snatch & repeat presses snatch once, press 5 x’s 1×5 @ 20 – 25 – 30 -40
Decline cable press 3×10 @ 50 - 65 -80 1×8 @ 95
Under hand cable press 2×10 @ 35 -50 1×8 @ 65 1×6 @ 80
Cable rows supersetted w/ 3×10 @ #20 (not weight)
face pulls 3×10 @ #20 (not weight)
Shrugs 3×10 @ 55 – 55
Plate grip holds 45′s

Stats:

Supplements:

1 zantrax prerun
1 multi
extra vit K
Sleep 6:42 hours @ 87% efficiency

Fasted Blood sugar 92 Post run but still fasted blood sugar 102
Blood pressure 115/75
Rested Heart Rate 46
Cardiac Stress level 2% (that’s very good it’s means I’m not stressed.)
Post run keytones test 40 moderate
UA ~ nothing notable everything was in normal ranges
Hydration was low post run, but good other wise
Hydration: This only accounts for water & smart water.

Prerun 6 oz
In run zero, which is why my hydration was low post run
Post run 16 oz
Total for the day 64 oz
So restarting cut today and I will go ahead and carry this into my vacation week. Not what I originally planned for sure, but since my “vacation” is going to be filled with training I see no reason not to. Starting weight will be 160. I hope to drop to 150 in the next 3 weeks.

Calorie Totals:

Burned 3052
Consumed 965 *This was not on purpose. It was just an extremely busy day.
Deficit 2087
Fat 34 30%
Protein 51 20%
Carbs 129 50%
Prerun: Herbal coffee & soy creamer

Post run: Protein Bar

Post Lifting: Zucchini Parmesan Vegan (zucchini slices, mushrooms, tofu crumbles, vegan spaghetti sauce, vegan Parmesan cheese baked for 20 minutes at 425 covered.)

Snacks: Gluten free vegan brownie

Dinner: Rice noodles w/ sauce & parm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:55 pm 
Rabbit

My first speed run this week and it looks like the one good thing about the spider bite and down time was that I had a few days rest. Which seams to be a good thing! I had a small pr today. It was only by like 63 seconds but any improvement in speed is good at this point. I'm particularly happy about it because while today should have been a tempo run I held back because my back was tweeked a bit. It's been sore the last day or two and so I didn't push the pace to hard, I held back. So setting a pr when I know I held back is def a good sign.

Running

DISTANCE 5.58 mi
DURATION 1h:05m:04s
AVG. SPEED 10:39 min/mi
MAX. SPEED 9:18 min/mi
CALORIES 668 kcal
HYDRATION 0.41L
AVG. HEART RATE 155
MAX. HEART RATE 173

Heart rate zone Duration
1.WARM UP (114 - 126) 1m:07s
2.FAT BURNING(127 - 139) 7m:22s
3.AEROBIC (140 - 151) 5m:11s
4.ANAEROBIC (152 - 164) 44m:35s
5.MAXIMUM (165 - 178) 6m:03s

WEATHER Clear night
WIND 3.1 mph ↑
TEMPERATURE 59°F
HUMIDITY 82%

Back Rehab/Prehab

*I had some lower back cramping after my run today so all I did today was lower back stretches and some release exercises.

Recovery work:

*By late in the afternoon I was very sore, lower back, legs and a lot of stiffness. More then likely because I had to do a lot sitting through out the day. Studying and a long drive. So I did about a light 40 minute walk to ease that off some.

Later I soaked in hot water, lavender & epsom salts.

Stats:

Supplements:

1 zantrax prerun
1 multi
extra vit K
Sleep 6:32 hours @ 91% efficiency *I have serious sleep deficiency building.

Fasted Blood sugar 92 Post run but still fasted blood sugar 89
Blood pressure 115/75
Rested Heart Rate 44
Cardiac Stress level 2% (that’s very good it’s means I’m not stressed.)
Post run keytones test 40 moderate
Hydration was good today
Hydration: This only accounts for water & smart water.

Prerun 8 oz
In run zero
Post run 16 oz
Total for the day 72 oz
Calorie Totals:

Burned 2737
Consumed 1353
Deficit
Fat 49
Protein 86
Carbs 157

Prerun: Herbal coffee & soy creamer

Post Run Breakfast: Protein shake w/ plant fusion protein, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 serving tofu and 1/2 cup frozen fruit. Blended.

Lunch: Veggie salad w/ lettuce, spinach, onions, banana peppers, olives, with tofu crumbles, almond cheese and taco sauce.

Snack: coconut butter, coco & agave

Dinner: Vegan pizza w/ spinach & artichokes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:37 am 
Rabbit

I'm a little behind on workout posts, but will catch it it soon. To much time eating not enough time to post I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:20 am 
Rabbit

Run – Bike – Run

DISTANCE 2.10 mi
CYCLING 45 mins spin time
DISTANCE 2.10 mi
NO transition time I set my bike up outside.
DURATION 1:31:34
Run AVG. SPEED 11:38 min/mi
Run MAX. SPEED 8:53 min/mi
AVG. HEART RATE 157
MAX. HEART RATE 170
WEATHER Clear morning
WIND 0.0 mph ↓
TEMPERATURE 57°F
HUMIDITY 82%
Notes: I’ve had very little time to train bricks, and I’m having some muscle tightness & back pain this week so I didn’t push the pace on this very hard. I’m just trying to work in a few workouts before the duathlon in which I can adapt to the feel of running, riding and then running again.

My day to day training is in no way optimal for duathlon racing. The races I have scheduled for now are just a way to get me adapted to the race scene. I’m still just trying to work my way back to any semblance of normal and optimal training for me. It’s not easy I still have a long way to go from the back injury and regaining the right mentality.

DE Lower Body

Box Jumps at 3 different heights 3×10 on each box
Bulgarian split squats 3×10 BW only
Sled drags 3×25 yards light weight
Prisoner abs 2×25 heavy

Stats:

Supplements:

1 zantrax prerun
1 multi
extra vit K
Sleep 6:43 hours @ 88 % efficiency

Fasted Blood sugar 89
Blood pressure 115/75
Rested Heart Rate 46
Cardiac Stress level 2%
Hydration was good today
Calorie Totals:

Burned 2308
Consumed 3407
Deficit 1099
Fat 141
Protein 77
Carbs 482

*This is how not to do a cut!!! LOL what can I say, long story. Damn enjoyable night though. I have had more derailments in this little cut then any other cut I think I have ever attempted!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am 
Rabbit

Kora wrote:
I'm a little behind on workout posts, but will catch it it soon. To much time eating not enough time to post I guess.

Naah! We like food porn xD.
Just kidding, I'm really curious to hear news from the arizona cut program. Your schedule looks really tough! Good job! And good luck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next