It Just Never Worked Out

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
AndiMorris
Manatee
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 am
Location: South Wales, UK

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#16 Postby AndiMorris » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:09 am

esqinchi wrote:Hey man... Honestly, I think you need more greens. Starchy carbs should be kept low, but if you are training a lot (and it looks like you are), you should be getting a fair amount of good carbs in for energy (i.e. oatmeal, fruits, vegetables - vegan stuff, ya know?). Have you ever seen the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? I'm not saying you are any of these, but I was in a similar situation to you about 18 months ago. I'm 5'7", weighed 248lbs, and had approx. 40% body fat. I watched the movie, followed the principles therein, and viola, I lost around 60 pounds within six months. I also did a lot of HIIT exercising, and then ventured into weight training. Back then I didn't track my macros, or focus on protein, or any of that shit. I drank a ton of fresh squeezed juice (watch the movie), and ate a shitload of salad. The weigh melted off, so fast that I bought three entire wardrobes within a single year. I'm not saying you should do this, but after about 18 months, I now weigh 161lbs, and approx 17% body fat. JUST SAYING.

RE: Seitan - it is delicious, but it is also typically high in sodium, and you could develop a sensitivity. I ate a shitload of seitan, and tofu, for MONTHS. I saw no real progress. In fact, I saw no progress at all, and it was a royal pain in the ass to continue losing weight/fat. I also drank a ton of protein shakes. Pretty sure I was getting in about 164 grams of protein per day, and hitting the weights 4-5 times per week. I lifted as heavy as I could.

Then I realized something (and my trainer helped me with this)... I looked around the gym, and I saw two (or maybe three, but the third category doesn't count) types of people: (1) big dudes who could lift a shitload of weight, but looked fat; and (2) smaller dudes who couldn't lift as much weight, but were ripped. I decided I wanted to be the latter, which requires me to monitor what I consume (keeping fats relatively low, and enough carbs to fuel my exercise), and incorporate both weights, and HIIT cardio (the best way to burn fat).

As of today, I don't give a fuck how much protein I get in a day - I think that is a WAY overhyped ideal. Have you ever heard of someone with a protein deficiency? No, and that's what we tell non-vegans all the time when they ask us "BUT WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR PROTEIN!??!?!?!" So, that being said, if I were you (and I have been in your position), I would do the following:

1. Find out how many calories your body needs (aka your maintenance level, aka your basal metabolic rate - http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html)
2. Find out how many calories you consume in a day (get yourself a cheap digital food scale, go here http://calorieking.com/)
3. Eat at least 500 calories below, but no more than 1000 calories below, your maintenance level.
(500 cals below and you will lose 1lb per week, 1000 calories below and you will lose 2lbs per week)
4. Eat whole foods, nix the bread, eat more legumes (spanish pardina lentils), greens, and fruits/veggies (seasonal shit).
5. Continue training as is.
6. Weigh yourself weekly, NOT daily, and always on the same day, at the same time (preferably mornings, after you've whizzed and pooped).
7. Every couple weeks or so, re-measure your maintenance calorie level.
8. Give yourself a cheat meal - one meal, eat whatever you want, have some beers - otherwise you will go crazy and give up.
9. Change up your training regularly - check out some of the other members' training logs - they are great!
10. Enjoy your motherfucking life, watch the fat melt away, and save up money for a kick ass new outfit; I like suits.

Don't think too much about this stuff. You are a ways away from worrying about cutting your salt by specific miligrams in order to make your inguinal muscle pop - and so am I - but we will get there one day brother.

:boxer:

Post of the day

TheDevilsBarber
Rabbit
Posts: 11
Age: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:55 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#17 Postby TheDevilsBarber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 pm

It's my day off. I had a smoothie for breakfast: pineapple, banana, strawberries, mango and peanut butter. An apple for a snack.
For lunch:Enchiladas poblanos from my favorite mexican spot 3 Amigos with zucchini, squash, lettuce, onions, tomatoes and avocado.
Dinner was steamed mushrooms and green beans over rice with a salad. About to go grab a $4 pint at Good Bottle Co. and that's my cheat day for the week. See you tomorrow.

PS so stoked that the bassist of ENT/FFAF posted on my log. I love the internet.

esqinchi
Elephant
Posts: 1174
Age: 35
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#18 Postby esqinchi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:13 pm

AndiMorris wrote:Post of the day


Thanks man. Glad to see I'm not alone, even if I am crazy.

TheDevilsBarber wrote:It's my day off. I had a smoothie for breakfast: pineapple, banana, strawberries, mango and peanut butter. An apple for a snack.
For lunch:Enchiladas poblanos from my favorite mexican spot 3 Amigos with zucchini, squash, lettuce, onions, tomatoes and avocado.
Dinner was steamed mushrooms and green beans over rice with a salad. About to go grab a $4 pint at Good Bottle Co. and that's my cheat day for the week. See you tomorrow.

PS so stoked that the bassist of ENT/FFAF posted on my log. I love the internet.


What kind of beer did you have? I love Mexican food as a cheat meal. There's this little tacqueria nearby us that makes seitan burritos. Damn, just thinking about them makes me hungry. And chips. I fucking love tortilla chips.

User avatar
EdensDemise
Manatee
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#19 Postby EdensDemise » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:53 am

is burrito a cheat meal? :D i generally take it with rice,beans,avocado,chili sauce, and soymeat.
mexican food is the best thing
Respect for nature and innocent life, the end of human over human oppression. A peaceful world can evolve after animal liberation.

User avatar
AndiMorris
Manatee
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 am
Location: South Wales, UK

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#20 Postby AndiMorris » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:03 am

TheDevilsBarber wrote:It's my day off. I had a smoothie for breakfast: pineapple, banana, strawberries, mango and peanut butter. An apple for a snack.
About to go grab a $4 pint at Good Bottle Co.

PS so stoked that the bassist of ENT/FFAF posted on my log. I love the internet.

Good bottle Co sounds great. I'm really into my craft beer at the moment.

On the second part.... :oops:

TheDevilsBarber
Rabbit
Posts: 11
Age: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:55 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#21 Postby TheDevilsBarber » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:12 am

I had NoDa brewing Coco Loco. It's from a local brewery. I sampled the Wicked Weed Dirty Weeds Black IPA which was brewed with the drummer of AC/DC and it ruled too. Just from Asheville to Charlotte there are easily 20 or 30 breweries. NC Craft beer is awesome. We have an Oskar Blues brewery here with a Sierra Nevada and New Belgium brewery on the way too. I'll be drinking every beer that Sierra Nevada has on tap when they open.

Going to the gym today after work. I'll update later.

TheDevilsBarber
Rabbit
Posts: 11
Age: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:55 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#22 Postby TheDevilsBarber » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:32 pm

I pushed myself pretty hard today and I feel good about it.

Run 25 min
3x10 push-ups
3x8L 3x8R Lunges
3x10 barbell curl 50lb
1x10 bench press 90lbs
3x10 side raise 20lbs
3x15 dbell flys 20lbs
3x10 pull-ups 115lbs assist
3x10 alt dbell press 20lbs
3x10 French press 20lbs
3x15 dbell rows 20lbs
3x15 crunches
2x10 decline sit ups with punches
2x30sec side planks each side.

For breakfast I had kale, an apple, a banana, flax seeds, 2 tbs peanut butter in a smoothie
Ate banh mi for lunch and it was the only bread I ate all day.
A pack of peanuts and iced coffee before I worked out
for dinner i'm eating spaghetti squash, mushrooms and sauce. I snacked on some almonds as soon as I got home too.

User avatar
EdensDemise
Manatee
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#23 Postby EdensDemise » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:30 am

where are the proteins man?
Respect for nature and innocent life, the end of human over human oppression. A peaceful world can evolve after animal liberation.

User avatar
vegan_rossco
Batman
Posts: 1632
Age: 26
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Location: Isle of Wight, England

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#24 Postby vegan_rossco » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:22 am

Great workout dude! Loads of volume and variety.
Looks like a decent amount of protein in my opinion..
klaatu21 wrote:sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

User avatar
EdensDemise
Manatee
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#25 Postby EdensDemise » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:44 am

not for a big guy, i mean nuts, peanuts, peanut butter almonds, they all have big amounts of (good) fat but to get the proteins you can take with 100gr of smoked tofu, you need at least 150gr of nuts that means at least 60gr of fat.
Respect for nature and innocent life, the end of human over human oppression. A peaceful world can evolve after animal liberation.

User avatar
AndiMorris
Manatee
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 am
Location: South Wales, UK

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#26 Postby AndiMorris » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 am

TheDevilsBarber wrote:I had NoDa brewing Coco Loco. It's from a local brewery. I sampled the Wicked Weed Dirty Weeds Black IPA which was brewed with the drummer of AC/DC and it ruled too. Just from Asheville to Charlotte there are easily 20 or 30 breweries. NC Craft beer is awesome. We have an Oskar Blues brewery here with a Sierra Nevada and New Belgium brewery on the way too. I'll be drinking every beer that Sierra Nevada has on tap when they open.

Going to the gym today after work. I'll update later.

Ooh I need to try that Dirty Weeds beer then!

TheDevilsBarber
Rabbit
Posts: 11
Age: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:55 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#27 Postby TheDevilsBarber » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:25 am

My budget is low this month and I can't afford to get those kinds of proteins. I've been eating almonds and peanuts throughout the day and the banh mi had a TON of bean sprouts and carrots along with cilantro, jalapeno and sundried tomatoes, it ruled and kept me satisfied until I snacked before the gym. I don't feel like I'm not getting enough protein. I'm going to healthy home market to get hemp protein today though.

esqinchi
Elephant
Posts: 1174
Age: 35
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#28 Postby esqinchi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:54 am

Banh Mi rules dude. That's a nice workout up there too. I think your protein level looks fine, but maybe a little too much fat?

User avatar
EdensDemise
Manatee
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#29 Postby EdensDemise » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:04 am

TheDevilsBarber wrote:My budget is low this month and I can't afford to get those kinds of proteins. I've been eating almonds and peanuts throughout the day and the banh mi had a TON of bean sprouts and carrots along with cilantro, jalapeno and sundried tomatoes, it ruled and kept me satisfied until I snacked before the gym. I don't feel like I'm not getting enough protein. I'm going to healthy home market to get hemp protein today though.


Of course you dont feel it. is rare to have lack of proteins, but if your goal is to build muscles you have to get higher.
i am sure legumes are not expensive where do you live, here in germany is way much more expensive to buy nuts almonds etc
Respect for nature and innocent life, the end of human over human oppression. A peaceful world can evolve after animal liberation.

User avatar
vegan_rossco
Batman
Posts: 1632
Age: 26
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Location: Isle of Wight, England

Re: It Just Never Worked Out

#30 Postby vegan_rossco » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:18 pm

EdensDemise wrote:
TheDevilsBarber wrote:My budget is low this month and I can't afford to get those kinds of proteins. I've been eating almonds and peanuts throughout the day and the banh mi had a TON of bean sprouts and carrots along with cilantro, jalapeno and sundried tomatoes, it ruled and kept me satisfied until I snacked before the gym. I don't feel like I'm not getting enough protein. I'm going to healthy home market to get hemp protein today though.


Of course you dont feel it. is rare to have lack of proteins, but if your goal is to build muscles you have to get higher.
i am sure legumes are not expensive where do you live, here in germany is way much more expensive to buy nuts almonds etc


Good point and same here in the UK, beans and legumes are the cheapest foods available I think
klaatu21 wrote:sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove


Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests