Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan's "Starting Over Again" Log
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:54 am 
Stegosaurus

Leg day!

Safety squat bar squats to 12" box to warm up -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 185
1x3 @ 225
1x2 @ 250
1x2 @ 275

Squats to just below parallel -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x3 @ 185
1x3 @ 225
1x2 @ 275
1x2 @ 315
1x1 @ 365
1x1 @ 395
5x8 @ 315
All sets pretty easy, felt good for a few more on every set, which was nice.

Decided to test things a bit and moved to 3/4 squats in the power rack, pins set at 6" above parallel -
3x5 @ 405 lbs
A good way to work on the transition from my weak spot to my lockout that is decent, can really feel the hamstrings fire hard when doing a quick tap to deload on the pins for a split second.

Wrapped up with 2x20 lying leg curls @ 130 lbs and that was it.

Two days until I start the month long diet plan, curious to see how it goes!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:09 pm 
Stegosaurus

Tried my first new workout today, kicked my ass hard, I'm not used to short rest periods like these! Essentially, two days a week will be moderate weight, lower rep, but LOTS of sets done with 30-60 seconds between them. Squat and Deadlift days will continue to be somewhat normal, but all other days will be adjusted for a while. Here was workout #1 -

Upper back and shoulders -

Barbell rows -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 185
8x5 @ 225, but only 45 seconds between sets. Felt pretty easy until the 7th set, then the lungs started to burn a bit and lats were cramping slightly, but polished off all 8 in just 8 minutes for the 40 rep goal.

Overhead log presses in the rack, rolling log on pins into collar for setup on each rep -
1x5 @ 75 lb. empty log
1x5 @ 125 lbs.
8x5 @ 150 lbs. - seemed like it should have been easy for how light it was, but after set 5, I'd have to take an extra few breaths beteween the last few reps, it was getting tough! 50 seconds between sets, done in 10 minutes flat.

Pull-ups, medium grip -
8x5 @ bodyweight (228 lbs. clothed), 40 seconds between sets
Not too bad, tired on the last set but overall, it went well.

Push presses with axle -
5x5 @ 155 lbs.
Kept it light, shoulders were dying fast, 60 seconds between sets as I was definitely getting tired now.

1-arm row Meadows row with barbell wedged in corner -
5x10 each arm @ 100 lbs. (75 lbs. weight plus about half of barbell), 45 seconds rest between sets, did all sets for one arm then changed to the other. Lats totally pumped and cramped, sucking wind a bit more now, starting to feel like I don't have too much left.

Lean-away cable lateral raises -
3x15 @ 20 lbs. each arm, did all sets for one arm then changed to the other.

Definitely beat by that time. Wrapped up with quick circuit of upper back assistance, 3 circuit sets before being done, no rest between sets or circuits -

Cable face pulls with 2 handled rope -
3x20 @ 130 lbs.
Dip shrugs -
3x20 @ bodyweight
Face down on incline bench DB front raises -
3x15 @ 20 lb. DBs

Almost puked when totally done, called it a day, took 65 minutes to complete everything and was as much a cardio workout as it was anything else.

Deadlifts tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:09 pm 
Stegosaurus

Lower back day!

Deadlifts, moderate weight, low reps, lots of sets, 90-120 seconds max rest between sets to improve conditioning -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 225
1x3 @ 315
10x5 @ 365

Snatch grip deadlifts on lowest pin settings in the rack (about 3" off normal floor height deadlifts) -
3x10 @ 330 lbs.

Stone loads to 52" platform, 170 lb. stone, no tacky on hands so it was smooth -
3x5 loads

Ab wheel roll-outs from knees to full extension -
2x10

That was it, simple session today, might go back in for some light conditioning work tomorrow, if not, planning on taking a nice long walk, then it's chest and light upper back work on Sunday!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Reading your log almost makes me tired, your training is badass. Good stuff!!

How's your weekend going?

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:54 pm 
Stegosaurus

Hey, Mini Forklift!

Yeah, some of my training sessions are brutally high volume, but I still get a bit stronger and the fat loss is working well with it, but once I get to summer and things are where I'd like, I'm going to cut the total volume considerably and allow a lot more rest time as I work solely to get stronger again. My strength will definitely go up faster once I cut about 40-50% of the total workload and extend rest periods, it's still a few months away, but I'll get there before long. The way things have been going make me think I'd like to step on the powerlifting plaform again next year, providing I can keep my weight down to compete as a 220, which should be possible. It'll be fun to see where the rest of the year takes me!

Weekend is starting off well so far, hope it's the same for you and that the training is also going well these days!

Post subject: Re: Ryan's "Hope to compete again in 2014" log
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 pm 
Stegosaurus

Chest and upper back day, more short rest period work for conditioning -

Flat bottoms-up bench to warm up using 55 lb. axle, starting on pins just touching chest -
1x5 @ 145
1x2 @ 195
1x1 @ 235
3x1 @ 255
1xfail @ 275, got halfway up then right shoulder lost stability, been sleeping face-down with my arm bent weird again this past month, starting to mess with my mobility again. Right shoulder tight and cocking out a bit near the end, moved to lighter work today.

Flat bench w/axle instead of regular bar -
1x5 @ 145 lbs.
1x5 @ 195
5x5 @ 215, just 45 seconds rest between sets

Concrete block rows with 170 lb. rectangualr block (used normally for our gym's strongman competitors to do overhead pressing with, this one's the lightest of the bunch!)
8x5 @ 170 lb. block, 45 seconds rest between sets
Felt good with these, hit my middle and upper back differently than traditional rows due to having to grip the block with hands about 22" wide (also gives a great fingertip strengthening workout, too), planning to add 10 lbs. to these every other week when I throw them in for a while.

Wide grip pull-ups (228 lbs. clothed today) -
6x6 @ bodyweight, 45 seconds rest between sets

DB flat bench -
4x8 @ 80 lb. DBs, 45 seconds rest between sets

V-handle pulldowns with Elite FTS blue monster band looped over top of tallest power rack, pulling to navel and hard 1 second squeeze each rep, about 130 lbs. tension at start and around 170 lbs. at finish -
4x20, 1 minute rest between sets

Dips -
3x12 @ bodyweight, 1 minute rest between sets

Wrapped up with some "fun" stuff, first was a shrugged farmer's walk set with 65 lb. handles - not at all heavy, but try walking for a full minute in a shrugged position, that's where the challenge is! 2 walks @ 1 minute each, tough on those last 5-10 seconds!

Last thing done was a set of 1-arm shrugs, using orange Elite FTS mini band looped over foot and holding other end of band in fingers, about 70 lbs. tension at bottom position and around 90 lbs. at top -
1x30 each arm, no rest, then drop straight to sets of 25, 20, 15, 10 and 5 all done in a row with no break, and that was it. 105 reps with each arm with good tension done in about 2 minutes = sore traps tomorrow.

Taking a walk tomorrow, then it's squat day on Tuesday!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:47 am 
Stegosaurus

A few extra days off due to late work nights, got back in for squatting tonight.

Front squats to warm up, all sets doubles with a two second pause in the hole
1x2 @ 135 lbs
1x2 @ 155
1x2 @ 175
1x2 @ 185

Back Squats as usual -
1x5 @ 135 lbs
1x5 @ 185
1x3 @ 225
1x2 @ 275
1x2 @ 315
3x5 @ 350, all sets easy and felt good for 7+ every set
1x12 @ 275

Front squats again -
1x2 @ 195
1x2 @ 205
1x2 @ 215
1x2 @ 225

Leg presses -
1x20 @ 180 plus red bands (around 100 lbs added tension at lockout)
1x20 @ 270 " "
1x20 @ 360 " "
1x20 @ 450 " "

Back to back sets of lying leg curls 3x20 @ 125 lbs. With cable/rope crunches 3x15 @ 120 lbs. And that was it.

Upper back and shoulders tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:29 am 
Rabbit

Even eating meat I had no strength for this. Wow awesome numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:05 pm 
Stegosaurus

Thanks, Faux! :D

I'm still working my way back up after 7 years of constantly being hurt over and over again (lesson learned as I'm closing in on 40 years old, train smarter and take your time!), I'm getting that itch to possibly get back to trying powerlifting again next year so I'm trying to rebuild everything to the old strength. Goal is to hit the numbers I did at 275 lbs. bodyweight but to do it at around 225 lbs. this time around, got a lot of work ahead of me this year but I think that by next April, I should hopefully be 95% of the way there. Just got to keep from doing anything stupid that will put me out again and I hope to make it happen!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:35 pm 
Stegosaurus

Upper back day done with conditioning-style shorter rest periods, shoulder work in there as well -

Barbell rows, underhand grip, 45 seconds rest between sets -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 185 lbs.
8x5 @ 230 lbs.

Overhead press with a tiny bit of leg drive (not proper push press), 1 minute rest between sets -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 150 lbs.
8x5 @ 170 lbs.
Didn't feel great with these, even though it wasn't heavy I find I need about 2 minutes between sets to not feel burned out early on with overhead pressing. I have realized that the plan for shorter rest periods for shoulders and chest just don't work well for me, so I'm dumping that part of the plan and just keeping with shorter rest on other things for now.

Weighted pull-ups, 45 seconds rest between sets again -
5x5 @ shoulder width grip w/ 25 lbs. added on, last set tough due to short rest period catching up with me.

Overhead log press in the rack, rolling log out and back into position between each rep, done as drop rep sets as follows:
1x10 @ 125 lbs., rest 90 seconds
1x9 " ", rest 90 seconds
1x8 " ", rest 75 seconds
1x7 " ", rest 75 seconds
1x6 " ", rest 60 seconds
1x5 " ", rest 60 seconds
1x4 " ", rest 30 seconds
1x3 " ", rest 20 seconds
1x2 " ", rest 15 seconds
1x1 @ 125 lbs.

170 lb. concrete block bent over rows -
3x10, 2 minutes rest between sets (needed it with these)

Barbell shrugs -
4x25 @ 315 lbs., 60 seconds rest between sets

Wrapped up with 3 circuits of trapezius and assistance lifts -
Band pull-aparts for 20 reps, move to
Dip shrugs - 25 reps @ bodyweight, move to
Hanging from pull-up position lat shrugs - 30 reps @ bodyweight, move to
Face down on incline bench DB front raises - 15 reps @ 25 lb. DBs

Wiped out afterward, will keep altering the conditioning plan to suit how I best work with it, deadlifting tomorrow night and aiming for 3x8 @ 405!

Last edited by VeganEssentials on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:43 pm 
Elephant

awesome training mate! 8) what the axle you use quite alot? is it a thicker than a normal bar? im guessing it turns if the discs turn too?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:47 pm 
Stegosaurus

mrbear666 wrote:
awesome training mate! 8) what the axle you use quite alot? is it a thicker than a normal bar? im guessing it turns if the discs turn too?

We've got a 2" diameter axle at our facility, so the whole thing is the same size as the sleeve where the plates go on with a regular bar. Basically a big 7' long thick bar that's the same 2" thickness from one end to the other with no rotating sleeves so that adds to the challenge on some things as well. Personally, I prefer the axle for benching (keeps me in a better position using the bulk of the palm to hold the bar vs. a normal bar), fun for overhead work as well but it's ideal to leave a tiny gap so the plates can rotate a bit vs. being locked into place (which, if the bar moves out of alignment, having it all solid with plates not rotating can throw things off quickly). Great for deadlifts and other stuff, too, really adds to the grip work on any rowing/pulling movement!

Even though I'm not competing this summer, I'm looking forward to playing around with more strongman stuff soon - the guys at our facility brought in a batch of natural stones from around 200 to 350 lbs. and created a makeshift platform outdoors with some tires for loading. I used to love natural stone lifting, so it's going to be fun once it warms up a bit as it's a cold, sloppy mess outside still! As you can see below, it's still sweatshirt weather here, but they're getting in all the training they can as our big strongman comp in Milwaukee comes up in just over 2 months! Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:05 am 
Elephant

good stuff! the axle sounds good, might see if i can find one!! my back is hurting just looking at those stones! they look awkward as hell to lift! good luck with your training pal! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:59 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Awesome alright ~ cool pic as well. Looks chilly haha.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 pm 
Stegosaurus

Haven't posted all workouts lately, missed a few sessions, but here's an update for the last few:

Legs and chest yesterday -

Squats -
1x10 @ empty bar
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 225
1x3 @ 275
1x2 @ 315
1x2 @ 335
1x2 @ 365
1x2 @ 370
1x2 @ 375
5x5 @ 365
Wasn't originally going to try to hit the 5x5 for a few more weeks, but was feeling good so it seemed like the right time. Aiming to be able to get 5x5 @ 380 sometime at the start of June, then it won't be long until I can get my working sets going in the 400s regularly again.

Flat barbell bench -
1x10 @ empty bar
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 185
1x3 @ 225
1x2 @ 245
1x1 @ 265, shoulder that's been cocking out sideways gave me trouble at this point, had to cut short. As soon as it gets out of the groove, I lose all power in that side, not sure what happened to bring the old problem back, but I'll have to get it under control again with some work so my bench doesn't turn to complete crap.
Put slingshot on for a few bench sets -
3x10 @ 225, triceps getting tired now, took slingshot off, did paused doubles, 2 seconds on chest, press as fast off as possible -
10x2 @ 200 lbs.

Safety bar squats -
3x8 @ 225

Lying plate-loaded leg curl machine -
2x20 @ 100 lbs.

Gotta get that wacky shoulder back in line so I can work on making some bench progress again and so I don't end up twisting my torso to compensate, which can mess my old back problems up again in a hurry.

---------

Went in today for light upper back and strongman event work for fun -

I-beam pull-ups on upper level support beam (done on end of beam so it's like a close-grip fingertip pull-up)
4x10 @ bodyweight, came in at a light 220 this morning, fat loss still coming along nicely.

Farmer's Walks - haven't done these with any weight in ages, was just to test again and see how they felt -
1x40 foot walk, turn and come back @ 155 lb. in each hand
" " @ 175
" " @ 195
" " @ 215
" " @ 235
Almost lost my grip on the last set, took almost 10 seconds to turn with the weight so that it wouldn't shift sideways, but lower back felt great, will do 250-260 in each hand next time

1-arm seated row w/ D handle attached to white Elite FTS band looped around squat rack base pillar, about 100 lbs. starting tension, about 160 at finish of pull -
4x20 each arm

Wrapped up with some stone lifting, just light rep work with the 170 lb. stone, chalk only no tacky on hands or arms -
2x8
1x15, done as 8, walk 40 feet down and back, 4 reps, walk down and back, 3 to finish

Felt good to mix it up tonight, tomorrow is rest day, leaving for a pre-birthday getaway on Tuesday, but will be in the gym on Wednesday to get some deadlifting in!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 89  Next