Nicole's 5K

Each week I am aiming for two fives, one intense three, and one long one (8+). I do weights/crunches/lunges and hike or bike on the days I don't run.

I don't have a time goal since I going to be running beside my friend and all we want to do is finish.

When I ran my 8 mile this weekend I was at a 9:30 minute mile and it was a comfortable pace.

Any resources you have, I am open to! I am just getting started so with this race I'm not thinking competitively, I just want to feel it out and finish.

The Louisville Marathon is October 21 and I am considering running another half in Grand Rapids, MI on the 28th. Does that sound too intense? It seems like it would just be like running my normal long run...

If you felt like you had more after running the 9:30 pace for 8 miles go for it. Maybe try a lighter 10minute pace or start out at 10:30 and decide if you feel good enough to pick it up a little at the halfway point of the race.

WOW!!! I'm sorry I didn't read your entire blog before replying. I read your first page talking baout getting ready for a 5k, then your last page about training for a half. What an improvement you have made!!! You should really feel good about yourself. It sounds like you will be plenty prepared!!! If you work your 8 mile long run up to 12 and run the half at a pace that is comfortable to you, you will be fine. Have fun with it!!! Same thing with running halfs two weeks in a row. It's not something most people would do and certainly not something that I would recommend if you were trying to run both of them as fast as possible, but you should be able to do it!

Hey Nikki, you and I are in about the same place. I did my first 5k at the beginning of July (my pb is 25:30ish I think), and now I'm training for a half marathon, which is this coming weekend! I just started running in May. I'm aiming for 1h 55 minutes at my half marathon for this time, but have some loftier goals for next year. I plan to hire a trainer, now that I no longer have a coach.