Dr. Joe's Training Blog

DAY 1:

I am currently preparing for the NPC Team Universe competition held in NYC this coming September. For those of you not familiar with Team Universe, it is the most prestigious drug tested competition in the country each year. The winner of each weight class gets the honor of representing the USA at the World Amateur Championships. In 2007, I just missed making the USA team by placing third (I was defeated by both the 2006 and 2005 winners). I am determined to win my weight class (lightweight) in 2008.

I have posted a couple of progress pics I just took 3-4 days ago. I am 165 lbs in these two pictures. This is the "fattest" that I allow myself to get in the "off season". I am at 165 lbs currently. I compete at about 150 lbs. Not to bad for a skinny malnourished vegan........LOL.

It's funny that I'm starting my training blog on a day off from training. Today was a straight cardio day. I rode the upright bike for one hour this morning. I will be training back and calves tomorrow.

I will be using my blog to answer any questions that you may have. Therefore, feel free to fire away with questions.

Thank you for your support in my quest to win Team U. God Bless & Peace.

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/wp-content/blogs/85322/uploads//Joeprogresspic1.jpg

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/wp-content/blogs/85322/uploads//Joeprogresspic2.jpg

I have a question. Will you be increasing your protein intake now that your in comp training? I believe I read somewhere that for your body you find that you don't need to do a 1 gram per pound minimum. Does that change during comp season as far as protein goes?

I keep protein intake to about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. For me, at my current weight of 165 lbs, I take in about 150 grams of protein per day. I know this is low by bodybuilding standards, but it works for me.

I maintain the same protein intake pretty much year round. However, with that being said, I will make adjustments to any aspect of my nutrition plan if I feel something is not going right.

Thanks for firing up a blog Joe! Much appreciated!

Do you eat protein powders or do you try and stick to whole foods?

I stick to whole foods at the present time. I do take Xtend, which is a branched chain amino drink, during my workouts. Peace.

Today was back and calves. Started back with bent over rows (using a reverse grip). This is workout #2 with bent over rows as my primary exercise. Weights were increased from last back workout:

285 X 6, 290 X 6, 290 X 6, 290 X 6 and 285 X 6

This was followed by 4 secondary exercises:

T-bar rows: 4 45lbs plates X 10 (3 sets)

Wide pulldowns: 165 X 10 (3 sets)

Close grip pulldowns: 180 X 8 (3 sets)

Pulls behind head: 150 X 10 (3 sets)

Calves: Single calf raise holding DB

85lb X 15, 100 X 12 (X5 sets), 85 X 15, 85 X 15

Good pump today while training.

Questions & Answers: (will use the blog to answer some questions I receive each day)

Q: How many weeks is your contest prep?

A: When I was younger, I use to have an answer for this question. Mostly because I would eat whatever I wanted most of the year and then go into "contest mode" about 16 weeks out from a show. However, these days there is no set number of weeks that I use to prepare for a show. That is because I pretty much prepare 52 weeks a year. I eat "clean" year round and just make minor adjustments along the way as I get closer and closer to competition. Hope that helps. God bless and Peace.

Great to see your training log on here! Sorry I wasn't able to meet up while I'm so close here in Boston. I leave shortly and have been busy all day everyday with work. But I'll be back for vacation sometime soon I'm sure. Some good friends are out here and I love New England!

All the best with your contests!!!!!!!

When you get a chance, would you mind posting a sample eating day? Curious if you stick to the bodybuilding staples of Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice and Oatmeal and how much healthy fats you add to your meals. Thanks Dr. Joe!!

Here is the food intake for 10/23/07:

Meal #1: 4 oz oats with banana, 1/2 pack of tempeh

Meal #2: same as #1

Meal #3: Cup corn, cup beans, 1/2 yam

Meal #4: same as #3

Meal #5: 8 oz. broccoli, cup corn, 1/2 block tofu

Macro breakdown (per fitday.com)

Cals: 2442 Protein: 146g Carbs: 413g Fat: 42 g

Supplements over course of the day:

Maximum Muscle Pump - one scoop (pre-workout)

Xtend (2 scoops) - during workout

CLA 1000 (conjugated linoleic acid) - 3 capsules

Flaxseed oil - 1 TBSP

Maximum Test (herbal test booster) - 3 capsules

Of course, this is just one day. For example, I don't usually eat so much corn. I just happened to have it available yesterday. However, as you can see, I keep everything pretty basic. Remember, I am still 10 months out from competition so I am pretty flexible as to what I eat.

Great to see your training log on here! Sorry I wasn't able to meet up while I'm so close here in Boston. I leave shortly and have been busy all day everyday with work. But I'll be back for vacation sometime soon I'm sure. Some good friends are out here and I love New England!

All the best with your contests!!!!!!!

To bad you have been so busy. Maybe we can hook up next time you're in town. You're always welcomed to catch a workout at my gym when you're in the Boston area. Peace.

Today was chest and abs. I started my workout with some torso movements on my Keiser functional trainer. Great way to hit the serratus and obliques. I followed this by 3 sets of cable crunch downs with 180lbs for 20 reps.

This was the second chest workout with Incline DB presses as my primary exercises. Strength improved from last chest workout. Workout was as follows:

Incline DB: 90X5, 90X5, 90X5, 90X4, 85X6

Flat DB: 80X10, 80X10, 80X10

Flat Bench: 225 X 8, 225 X 8, 225 X 8

Smith Incline: 145 X 10, 145 X 10, 145 X 10

Keiser Standing Flyes: 30 (air loaded resistance) X 10, 30 X 10, 30 X 10

Question & Answer:

Q: I´m contacting you because there's almost no information about being vegan and steroid use on the internet. I just in use of testosterone enantate for the first time. Some meat eating bodybuilders told me, they would never use steroids and eat soy at the same time. What do you think about it?

A: Sorry, but you’re asking the wrong vegan bodybuilder. I don’t use drugs and therefore know very little about them. In regards to soy, my body responds well to it with no problems what so ever. If I were you, I would stay clear of steroids and continue to build muscle naturally with hard work and a good clean diet. Peace.

A: Sorry, but you’re asking the wrong vegan bodybuilder. I don’t use drugs and therefore know very little about them. In regards to soy, my body responds well to it with no problems what so ever. If I were you, I would stay clear of steroids and continue to build muscle naturally with hard work and a good clean diet. Peace.

LOVE IT!!!!

• 1 month later...