vegan weightlifting shoes?

Of course the type of shoe you want depends on what kind of training you do.

For olympic weightlifting, weightlifting shoes like the adidas ironworks or something similar helps a lot. I am not sure if there are other vegan weightlifitng shoes besided the adidas ones.

The adidas ironworks are good for squats as well, but Chuck taylors or something else with a hard flat sole also works. The important thing is there is no cushioning because that will destroy your balance.

For deadlifting the slippers mentioned above looks good, or you could just deadlift in your socks.

No idea if these are vegan or not. Nike has made a new weightlifting shoe for the Chinese weightlifting team. They claim the shoe is light weight and extremely stable, and the heel is made of a very hard material which will not compress even under the weight of a car.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/troyloferski/nwscoll.jpg

No idea if these are vegan or not. Nike has made a new weightlifting shoe for the Chinese weightlifting team. They claim the shoe is light weight and extremely stable, and the heel is made of a very hard material which will not compress even under the weight of a car.

Seems they are not available to the public though. At least I couldnt find any info about them on the net except what you posted. Perhaps they will be available in the future, who knows .

I'm surprised there aren't any carbon fiber shoes available yet...even if that means a custom shoe. My racing shoes can take 1500lb per square inch before a 1mm flex....and that shoe ran me $70 on ebay...NEW.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd keep things neat and tidy and add onto this one, if that's okay with you all?

Stronglifts says to get a shoe with an incomplressible sole for weight training. I found this thread. In searching some more (also looking for info about Ironwork II) I found another thread online where people are discussing NOT wearing a heeled shoe for things like deadlifts.

Now I'm unsure again. So, what types of shoes do you need for different exercises?? I do more squats than deadlifts, and I also do presses. Other work relies less on shoes (bench, bars, etc). My guess is that the heeled/squat shoes would be more important and I just have less-desirable shoes for the deadlifts...but I have no idea.

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd keep things neat and tidy and add onto this one, if that's okay with you all?

Stronglifts says to get a shoe with an incomplressible sole for weight training. I found this thread. In searching some more (also looking for info about Ironwork II) I found another thread online where people are discussing NOT wearing a heeled shoe for things like deadlifts.

Now I'm unsure again. So, what types of shoes do you need for different exercises?? I do more squats than deadlifts, and I also do presses. Other work relies less on shoes (bench, bars, etc). My guess is that the heeled/squat shoes would be more important and I just have less-desirable shoes for the deadlifts...but I have no idea.

If you can get two pairs of shoes, get a pair of converse and pair of Ironworks II. If you can only get one pair, get the converse - while not ideal for everything, they work well-enough for just about every lift. The Ironworks are fantastic for squatting and other lifts, but they can't (or usually aren't, anyway) worn for deadlifting.

If you can afford it I can't recommend enough getting olympic shoes like the Ironworks II. I wear them for back squats, front squats, olympic lifts, overhead work of all kinds, atlas stone loading, etc. They're great. The only thing I wear the Chucks for is deadlifting and moving events, like farmer's walk. Some people do deadlift in olympic shoes, but most people find it somewhat awkward/limiting. For most other lifts, Ironworks are better than converse, in my opinion. But converse are far better for general lifting than any other kind of running/athletic shoe.

Right now I'm only doing the Sontrglifts 5x5, which has squats, presses (overhead), deadlifts, pull/chin-ups, bench press, inverted rows, and some ab work. So I've not done those other exercises.

I'll buy both as my budget allows. For now maybe just the converse since I haven't incorporated other exercises, but the others shoes are on my list for the VERY near future.

• 5 years later...

Was looking for info on vegan weightlifting shoes and found this thread...and also these shoes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/275-2075381-3448045?url=search-alias%3Dshoes&field-keywords=do+win+gong+lu+II&rh=n%3A355005011%2Ck%3Ado+win+gong+lu+II

Anyone here has tried them?

Details on those shoes:

Olympic lifting shoe with solid wooden heel

Non-slip rubber outsole

Closure: hook & loop

Heel Height: 2.5 centimetres

Material Composition: Mesh - Synthetic Leather

Velcro metatarsal strap for extra stability

Worn by Gold medal winning Chinese team in Beijing

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to wear Chucks for squatting when I used a very wide stance - I also pull in a sumo stance so the chucks worked well. Recently I've brought my stance in some and have been squatting in the Adidas Ironworks 2's and like them a lot. I still deadlift sumo and have been using a minimal shoe - a Merrell Trail shoe, and want to get a pair of New Balance Minimus cross training shoes as the soles are very thin and flat.

Regarding deadlifting, some people who use a conventional stance like the weightlifting-elevated heel-shoes, but these would not be good for a sumo stance, for sumo deadlifts a thin, hard flat-sole or slipper is what most use.

Good luck!