Supplements...HELP!

I'm sure this question has been asked a kazillion times, but my search thing never seems to work . I'll make it quick and hopefully painless for you guys...

It has been recommended to me that I take three specific supplements: BCAAs, Creatine and Glutamine, because according to a few personal trainers that I know, it's VITAL. What do you guys think and are they really necessary? Which ones are important or should I just continue on with the three? It's been a few weeks that I've been taking them and I *thought* they made a difference at first, but now I'm just not sure. I did gain almost two pounds pretty much immediately after starting the creatine (which was fine as I'm underweight) BUT that couple of pounds doesn't appear to be stable. I'm wondering if it's just water retention caused by the creatine? Normally, my weight is SUPER stable, within 1/2 a lb anyway.

They are all clean, vegan supplements with NO additives. Straight BCAAs, capsulated creatine and straight glutamine.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, and I apologize again for more than likely asking a question that has been asked a million times before, I'm really new to this and need some help

I've had my experience with years of use of various supplements and really think creatine offers the only noticeable difference. If you got spare money to drop, go ahead and pick them up, but if I had to pick one it would be creatine monohydrate. There's for sure some water retention with creatine, but there's some strength and "swolleness" that's always a plus.

And take it from me I used to be a HUGE supplement junkie in my youth. Supplements are always fun to buy though.

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. It's not that I have an excess of cash I want to drop on supplements, but I keep hearing that if I don't want to "waste my time and actually see results" it's what I have to do. I'm a very small, lean female, so I'm guessing that makes things a little tougher anyway. Supplements get really expensive and if they're not really necessary, why bother? I'd rather buy more real food .

If that's the case, then ditch the supplements and get the real food. Yes there is a benefit to supps, but the "waste my time and actually see results" is a load of bull, whoever told you that is full of crap. I tried cycling creatine four separate times and only once did I actually see a noticeable difference. I've known many people that have tried it, and swear by it, but it's not a must by a long shot.

You are what you are. Eat good whole foods, and expect to either add reps, or add weight. If you aren't getting stronger then something is off and then if you don't remedy the problem then you might be wasting your time. Track your workouts so that you know if you are improving or not. Even just adding 1 rep out of 12 different sets is an improvement. If you are just getting started though you should be seeing better results than most of us.

I was seeing pretty good results then got scared I'd plateau and that would be it, so I bought into the supplement thing. I eat SUPER clean, whole, non processed foods only. Logic told me that was enough, but I kept hearing the whole "you gotta do supplements to get REAL gains' routine, so I caved. I'll use up what I've got (it's a couple of months worth, maybe a little more) and see if I notice any negative changes when I stop....I'm really glad to hear they're not vital. Again, logically it made no sense as to why they would be as long as I was eating a clean diverse diet. Bought into the BS I guess. Haha.

• 2 weeks later...

i know in Robert's book he talks about BCAAs, L-Gluatmine, Creative, Meal Replacement Powder & Protein Powder being the real heavy hitters for supplements. Im sure you can get great results without them, however I find they have helped me a lot. Especially L-Glutamine, which has additionally helped my stomach heal from some nasty digestive problems that went away when I went Vegan.

Basically four things needed are...

1 Good protein powder... I mix Pea and Soy...if you are looking to build muscle you need at least 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. For me that 330 grams. I could eat a truckload of spinach and not get it...well maybe...but you know what I mean.

2 Glutamine (make sure you take some immediately after workouts and before bedtime )

3 Creatine mono

4 A very good multivitiman

I also take...

Glucosamine...(for joint health), and Flaxseed Oil (essential fatty acid). You do need EFA (adding olive or flaxseed oil to your diet is just as good), and BCAAs are a help, the above four are essential...IMO.

Best wishes...

I've never taken any supplements save for occasional protein/meal replacement. But I have been tempted to get some creatine. I've done a bit of research on it and it seems generally safe and it is suppose to be a more effective supplement for vegans/vegetarians than for omnivores. And apparently it will make me smarter.. and I'm already quite genius (haha) . Most recommendations I've seen suggest creatine cycling - 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off sort of thing.