shaky after working out

S-Ray

Wondering if anyone has any insight. Sometimes after I work out I am so shaky, it feels like my blood sugar is low (which is probably is) and I have this INTENSE hunger like I have to eat something immediately. It literally feels like I will pass out while walking to my car. The weird thing is - I can't seem to figure out what to eat before my workout to prevent this from happening, and sometimes when I've woken up and worked out first thing on an empty stomach, this feeling didn't happen. Any suggestions? Today right before my workout I had a banana and drank a TON of water during workout. Thanks!

Are you new to training and exercise? If so it could be that you are still adapting and not yet fully conditioned with what you are putting your body through. However, having said that to me it sounds like it's more than likely nutrition related, like you said it probably includes a dip in blood sugars (hypoglycemia) and/or dehydration. This can be remedied by:

a) eating more before your workout, ideally a couple of hours before

b) eating during your workout, foods such as snack bars, gels, protein shake etc

c) staying hydrated, drinking a sports/electrolyte drink if you are training for longer than an hour at a time

I'd definately be eating more before you train, one banana is not going to give you too much in the way of energy. Do that and I'm sure you will feel better afterwards.

Glucose tablets just before training and 1-2 afterward should help fix that quickly if it's a blood sugar issue.

Also, are you drinking lots of caffeine during the day prior to training? If I have too much, I get queasy and sometimes a bit light-headed near the end of my training, some of us just can't be too active with a mega-dose in our systems.

Whilst I agree with the above, to a certain extent you aren't always going to feel great after a tough workout. For instance on leg day & when I've done sprint training I often feel physically sick by the time I've finished.

I often used to get that when working legs, someone told me it was to do with hormone release? I'm not great on the science of exercise but that certainly makes sense

Whilst I agree with the above, to a certain extent you aren't always going to feel great after a tough workout. For instance on leg day & when I've done sprint training I often feel physically sick by the time I've finished.

I hear what you're saying there, but for me what you are describing is different to feeling shakey.

I've been sick after legs a couple of times and felt nauseous for a few hours after training, and that's simply to do with intensity and really pushing thing to the max. The shakiness the OP described I'm certain is likely to be more related to nutrition/dehydration OR being new to training.

Just my opinion anyway

Thanks guys. I wouldn't say I'm new to training - I've been an athlete all my life. I do believe even though I'm drinking a lot of water during the workout, I'm not necessarily drinking enough water before the workout so I think I might be coming into the workout slightly dehydrated. And then maybe, even though I'm drinking water during the workout, it's not enough. I'm also going to play around with some of the food/glucose tablet suggestions. Thanks everyone!