Abdominal workout

Hi, I've been bodybuilding for 6 or so months now and have finally got my routine and diet in check (for the moment at least) I just had some questions about abdominal exercises in my workout. I always read that the best way to do the plank is to hold it for as long as you can but I was just curious as to whether it makes more sense to treat it as any other exercise and keep the time under tension about thirty seconds or so. It seems illogical to me to get to a point where you can hold a plank for minutes without it being difficult, so adding some sort of resistance just like with any other hypertrophy inducing exercise makes more sense. Although I could be absolutely wrong and I'd be happy for you tell me if I am.

I read an article about ab exercises recently that said the plank's only beneficial for the early days of training, then the body becomes used to it and it stops doing anything. Obviously you can't believe everything you read, but with the plank it makes sense. It's not exactly something that's easy to add resistance too. It does seem like one that the body's going to get used to. Like any muscle group it's good to rotate exercises so they don't get accustomed to doing one set of things, so if you've been planking regularly maybe switch it up with some different core exercises? I've been doing the videos from fitnessblender recently which have a lot of ab and oblique core workouts, but there are also lots of variations on bodybuilding.com.