Female vegetarian looking for advice

I recently started seriously working out at the gym, I'm a 23 yo female about 5'3 & probably about 120 lbs. I'm not trying to get super big, but nice definition showing off my hard work is what I'm aiming for. I've read on many differ sites different amounts of protein I need to be getting each day, mostly reading 1g per pound of body weight. Not sure if that's accurate. I usually end each work out with a protein shake, take a women's vitapak I got from Gnc before work out.. I have read online to take creatine before work out as well.. Should i? As far as eating right, I feel like I've got that part covered. It's just the prewprk out and protein intake I don't know about. I'll lift weights and do about 20 min cardio to en the day at the gym. Any tips or coenra would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

You don't really need a whole lot of protein, but quality amino acids from whole foods will help you recover from exercise and make gains and progress. These days I don't focus on protein intake at all, I don't aim for a certain number and don't concern myself with high protein foods. I just eat a variety of whole foods and still gained 10 pounds over the past 10 weeks. I'm fairly convinced others can make exceptional progress based on their goals too, using a whole foods approach to getting quality amino acids without focusing on protein or this or that individual nutrient.

Just find out what your Basal Metabolic Rate is, pick out your favorite whole foods, eat to fuel your athletic endeavors, and have fun!

All the best!

-Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post Robert!

If you're gonna count, I think 1gm/lb is like the recommendation for hard-core body builders. Too much protein will strain your kidneys and can get stored as fat (or so I've read). 0.5-0.8 is more normal persons range I think.

Also important isn't just what you eat but when...relative to activity and time of day. Mike Dolce (Dolce diet....mma trainer) gave us a ditty when he was here giving a talk. Generally, eat for what you just did, or for what you are going to do. Meaning, fuel up before hand and nourish for recovery after. Was poking more at the crowd of couch potatoes and why bad to chow down and drink beer while watching tv....it's not going to go anywhere but to your gut...ha ha.

Haven't dabbled in creatine or similar supplements for years, going for more plant=based natural nutrients.

Curious to know a bit more. What your energy levels are like pre/post workout both with or without the suppliments?

I like to whip up a smoothie in my Nutribullet, sometimes before or after working out, all depends on my time and place. Load up on veg (kale, spinach, mint, whatever else is on hand, fruit, and if it's post workout I toss in some non-GMO pea powder, lots of branch chain amino acids -- aka protein) to re-supply my body.