Genetics and Fat Storage

Hey guys, I need advice. I am around 10% body fat according to my last body fat test. We use the 7 site skin fold test which is pretty accurate. My issue is that I still don't have a six pack... an I see several guys waking around at 13-15% body fat with six pack abs! I'm confused. I was under the impression that six packs require single digit body fat. I have lost even more fat the past couple weeks, and five pounds. Still no six pack! I am getting frustrated now. What can I do about this pot belly syndrome? Is is just water weight or am I literally storing the last few percentage points solely in my gut? Because the rest of my body looks extremely cut... in fact people are baffled when they realized I don't have a six pack. HELP!

It varies significantly. I know some guys who look like they are 1% body fat but when they take off their shirt, they have a pouch. And I know guys who look like they are 20% body fat with more definition. Can't do much about genetics. I haven't been able to achieve a six pack either, despite some intense rounds of weights and HIIT. I will say that the HIIT is the most effective at shedding fat for me. There are many studies to show that it causes fat loss in excess of what is burned during the exercise. In fact, when compared to endurance training, the HIIT groups lost more fat despite burning significantly less calories during the workouts.

What kind of exercise routine are you doing?

Here are some studies on HIIT.

One study compared HIIT with endurance training (ET). Over a month, two groups performed their respective exercises, and at the end of the month, the ET group burned 15,000 more calories than the HIIT group. However, the amount of subcutaneous fat loss was 9 times more in the HIIT group than the ET group when corrected for energy expenditure.

http://www.colorado.edu/intphys/Class/IPHY3700_Greene/TIPS/exIntesity/Tremblay.pdf

Another study showed significantly more fat loss in women who performed HIIT for 20 minutes a day versus those who performed moderate exercise for 40 minutes a day.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2011/868305/

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I do train with intensity already, I like the heavy duty lifting approach. I have done a few high volume days, just to keep the body guessing. Truthfully, I want to diet down to 5% to see what I need to shape up (If all goes well, I will do my first bodybuilding competition this October). Isn't 5% body fat the point where you start to get the striations in your glutes and obliques?

Again, a lot has to do with genetics. I can get striations in my my shoulders and quads, but no where near a six pack. And I know guys with six packs who looks like that have half an inch of fat over their entire body.

Only you will know of what your body is capable.

• 2 weeks later...

You're right... but isn't there some sort of limit? I was at about a 1,000 calorie deficit yesterday and i measured 6.6% body fat two days ago. Is this just water weight? Should I cut all my sodium and carbs for a couple days? I will post a picture from this morning

Edited by Think_machine

Here it is, I am flexing abs in this pic. It looks terrible, like 9-10%you body fat, but i have been pinching myself and taking 3 site skin fold tests every day since i have access to the equipment any time i want. As I stated, i am actually at 6.6% or less so this is really freaking sad, guys. Do you think I am measuring wrong or something? should I start doing the 7 site skin fold test?

052814064609.thumb.jpg.db5c995bcfc597f1aed1260f540547d4.jpg

P.S. my gyno looks worse as I trim down, how much will this effect my scoring?