My chest - advice please!

I have attached a picture of my chest - I only weigh 160 pounds at 5'11"... so obviously my chest is not well developed. How do I get the line in the middle of chest (as if the line separates one pec from the other) and also make the pecs bigger. Will bench press alone help or dumbbell flys?

How must I do?

WP_20140426_103.thumb.jpg.71d688bbdce110064cb07ac97df85d7f.jpg

The separation line in the middle is a result of both low bf% and essentially large muscle mass. Bench press is a good compound movement but from what I know you should mix it up a little bit. If you're not gaining weight maybe you are not getting enough calories.

Would be curious to see other replies though.

decline press (barbell or dumbbells - prefer dumbbells), decline push-ups, diamond pushups.

Agree with need to mix it up. Just doing flat bench keeps targeting the same parts of the muscles, need to spread the burn around.

Maybe suggest combo of heavy weights/low reps for size, and finish off with lighter weight, max reps to max out blood flow and to tear down all the fibers.

decline press (barbell or dumbbells - prefer dumbbells), decline push-ups, diamond pushups.

Agree with need to mix it up. Just doing flat bench keeps targeting the same parts of the muscles, need to spread the burn around.

Maybe suggest combo of heavy weights/low reps for size, and finish off with lighter weight, max reps to max out blood flow and to tear down all the fibers.

I tried diamond and decline pushups (feet up, right).... I feel the burn in my tri and delts. My chest doesn't burn, does that mean chest is not being worked? My understanding is that tri and delt are smaller muscle groups, so they feel the burn easily. Chest is bigger so it doesn't feel the burn....is this correct? If I do wide arm pushups, I feel some burn in the side of chest. But the middle of the chest never burns... I am wondering whether burn is necessary? Or can I assume even without burn the chest is being worked?

My $0.02, and I'm not sure if it'll work for you as well as it has for me, but I've found flat flys to be pretty great for producing that burn in the chest without burning out your arms. I also don't like machines much, but I've found the horizontal press machine to be good for really hitting the pecs too. Bonus points if you've got a hammer strength you can use instead of a cable machine, that'd be ideal.

I know my chest sucks as a whole, but looking at the picture, which portion would need more work - upper or lower chest? Side pec or the middle?

Based on the bio mechanic's, the function of the pecs (minor, major and serratus anterior) is to draw the arms down and across the chest, so a Decline Presses or Dips are perfect for stimulating all three sections, for isolation, a cable crossover or pec deck flye is best, reason being, these provide full resistance in the contracted position (D-B Flyes do not provide this).

No matter what movement you use, the most important factor is the intensity of effort you put forth, the second most important factor is that you allow sufficient recovery time.

Hope this helps

Rob

Yeap Parallel bar dips mate...

If your training at home, for safely reasons i wouldn't recommend doing them between chairs.

Well that depends on how much you weigh and what chairs you have haha, I've been using wooden ones once a week for the past couple of years and haven't had an issue ... Yet

Yeap Parallel bar dips mate...

If your training at home, for safely reasons i wouldn't recommend doing them between chairs.

Well that depends on how much you weigh and what chairs you have haha, I've been using wooden ones once a week for the past couple of years and haven't had an issue ... Yet

Lol, that's true, i'm just somewhat reluctant to advise someone to do something that may not be safe:)

If the primary goal is to see definition in the chest I would agree with pretty much everything everyone else has advised at this point & add the quickest rout to this end would be to lower your body/fat.

Adding mass takes time and depending on your motivation or genetics a very long time. Losing body/fat is little more than a mathematical equation on the other hand.