New, seeking opinions/advice - beginning at home

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section or has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere.

I'm a 25-year-old female who is completely new to bodybuilding and currently pretty sedentary. I've been vegan for 3 years, maybe 4. I'm about 5'8" and 120lbs (read: skinny but soft). I'd like to be a better representation of vegans, so I'd like to put on some weight. I also want to have a baby in 2-3 years, and everything I've read says I should put on at least 15 lbs before even thinking about getting pregnant.

I recently moved to a pretty rural area, and I only have access to a gym on a military installation. This might sound silly, but I don't really relish the idea of fumbling through workouts surrounded by service members who are on their 2nd or 3rd hour for the day.

Which brings me to my questions: How feasible is it, really, to get started at home? I have a garage and a spare room and could throw a little bit of money toward equipment, but not a fortune. If you were me, what would your absolute basics be?

And, a bonus question: I'm not always the hungriest lady around. Any ideas for stimulating appetites or encouraging eating?

I can post some pictures of myself, if that would help, but I'm a little embarrassed reaching out even this much! Thanks for reading.

Welcome.

You say you are sedentary, so just starting the exercise itself should help increase you appetite. The exercise of course will burn calories which you will need to replace with food. The exercise will grow muscle which increases your metabolism, so that too will increase your appetite.

As far as equipment, if i had to choose one item without a lot of cost, I would go with a kettlebell, you can do so many differnent movements with them. But I am sure there are others here who could give you all kinds of ideas for equipment.

Pull up bars that fit in a doorway are quite cheap but effective. Depending on how you fit them, you can also do inverted rows on them. Or hang something from them so you can do inverted rows.

Press up (called 'push ups' in the USA) need no equipment.

Squats can be done without equipment. You could do single-leg ones as you become stronger or you could carry a weight when you do them.

Have a look on youtube for ideas. Search for some phrase such as Strength Exercises Without Equipment. Strength Exercises Without Weights. Building Strength With Bodyweight Exercises.

There are some good ideas in this one:

As The Phytoathlete said, you will feel hungrier after you start to exercise. Make sure you eat enough to feed your muscles. And get enough sleep.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks to both of you for the welcome, suggestions, and link! I hadn't thought of kettlebells, and they ARE relatively cheap which is great! I do have access to a pull up bar, some lighter dumbbells and some sandbags (10-40lb). I just started a new job and I'm still figuring out my schedule, but I hope to start a journal on the forum soon for some accountability.