Body Fat Percentage

Hi all. I'm hoping you can help me with a query.

I measured my body fat percentage and it came in as less than 14%. I looked up the healthy ranges online and they indicate I'm below healthy range.

Would that be detrimental to my fitness goals and prevent me from gaining lean mass?

To put my question into context I'm a female in my 20s. I run 3 days a week (currently running around 8.5 km at 11 k/hr) and lift weights 3 times a week. My lifting sessions are around 50-60 mins with somewhat light weights.

Thanks!

Different tables give different averages I wouldn't worry. 14% body fat for a female is fine. It's a good.

Female athletes can range any where from 8 to 25%. I know women with as low as 6% body fat and they are healthy. Body fat percentages for women and health are based on more then just the percentage number. Some women can as low as 6% where other women may have problems at say 20%. Because things like nutrition and training levels and hormones all work together. So if you don't have any problems I wouldn't worry. How ever if say your period stops or other symptoms a rise then get a check up with your doctor. But in general 14% is perfectly fine and even desirable.

Since you measured it yourself, I am assuming you are using calipers? They are horribly inaccurate for relating to others. Some people have a much higher intramuscular fat ratio which isn't measured on calipers at all. This is why some people have six packs at twice the body fat that others can achieve them. However, they are very good for referencing your own goals.

I used one of those scales that calculates it by sending some sort of current through your body. I took the measurement with a grain of salt since I figured it couldn't be too accurate. I figured it to be an estimation at best and a good way to track progress going forward. Its good to know I'm not going to fall down dead from a lack of body fat, though!

I used one of those scales that calculates it by sending some sort of current through your body. I took the measurement with a grain of salt since I figured it couldn't be too accurate. I figured it to be an estimation at best and a good way to track progress going forward. Its good to know I'm not going to fall down dead from a lack of body fat, though!

I've never used the hand held ones but I have a weight scale that measures weight, body fat, hydration, bone mass and bmi. It's not the most accurate scale but I've found that if I weigh in at the same time every day and roughly the same conditions then it's pretty accurately inaccurate. LOL it'll accurately show changes.

Also the more muscle mass you have the less accurate most of the body fat testers are. Mine even said on the box that it's not accurate for body builders or athletes with above average muscle mass.

Oh, the scales make the calipers look very accurate. LOL I have a scale that measures bf% and I get anywhere from 12%-20%. Hydration can cause large fluctuations.

If you do have one that seems to be relatively consistent, or like Kora said "accurately inaccurate", you may be able to use it for tracking your own progress. Just don't use the numbers as absolutes.