Static contraction hip belt squat

Hi all,

Just thought i'd share this exercise, (great for those whom train at home or in the gym)...

I was introduced to it last year by HIT trainer and current Mr Northern Ireland BB champion John Martini (bastard:)

It remains one of the hardest exercises I've ever done, i performed it last night and could barely walk home, the 15 minute walk took twice as long lol, at one point i considered falling to my knees and crawling up a very slight hill hehehaha:)

Here is a Drew Baye article on it...

http://baye.com/diy-timed-static-contraction-hip-belt-squats/

I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of anyone who can perform it to failure:))

Hey Bud,

When it comes to static holds and compound movements, you want to hold only in the position of maximum motor arm (here you'll be forced to recruit muscle fibers more aggressively to sustain the contraction). On this exercise, that's just before parallel.

Honestly, i can only describe this as a bastardized version of a wall sit.

Btw Mike, you don't have to perform one prolonged hold as Drew Baye describes, you can also perform it as John Little's recommends, ie in rest pause fashion (which i prefer), several 15-20 second bouts with short rest pauses in between. This makes it psychology easier, and I believe this also allows you to deeper inroad the muscles as most can not hold it for one prolonged hold to failure and end up terminating the set due to the sheer discomfort of the metabolic waste build up.