Numb thumb, hook grip

I've finally gotten myself some liquid chalk for use at the gym and on Friday managed to lift 140kg on my deadlift (3 sets of 5 reps) using my hook grip. Problem is, since Friday I've got this little patch in my left thumb that's almost numb.

The best way I can describe it is as if I've been to the dentist and the aneasthetic has started to wear off and its a bit numb, but a bit fuzzy.

It's not a huge issue, just wondered if it's going to get better or worse over time or if anyone else had experienced the same thing at all?

It's not like I'm going to let it stop me. Aiming for 3 sets of 5 reps at 150 by mid to late June!

If it doesnt go away in a few days i'd recommend getting checked out, maybe see a physical therapist if you can. These things happen, it will likely go away in a day or two. If its still like that in a week, get checked out and make sure its nothing serious like nerve damage.

Are you new to hook griping? It can take months to get use to. There's a callous that will eventually build up and help eliminate pain and numbness. Having that numbness is actually very common.

Also make sure you are hooking the thumb correctly. (I'm not assuming you are not but since I don't here's an example od what it looks like.)

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/monster-garage-gym-hook-grip-101-its-a-love-hate-relationship/

Also .. you know commonly that nerve will just die. It happens and doesn't seam to hurt anything.

Since posting earlier, most of the numbness has actually gone! Sod's law!

Thanks for the link, that's how I'm doing it and have been trying it for a few months now but it's only really started working for me since I got chalk last week. The bars at my gym are quite thick so I've found it irritating. I was just mainly wondering if it was something I'll get used to or if it was something to be concerned over. So in this case it'll come and go I guess until I've got that callous there (which is already forming!).

Thanks for the advice.

Since posting earlier, most of the numbness has actually gone! Sod's law!

Thanks for the link, that's how I'm doing it and have been trying it for a few months now but it's only really started working for me since I got chalk last week. The bars at my gym are quite thick so I've found it irritating. I was just mainly wondering if it was something I'll get used to or if it was something to be concerned over. So in this case it'll come and go I guess until I've got that callous there (which is already forming!).

Thanks for the advice.

You'll get use to it.

It took me a few months to get use to doing hook grip. Hurt like a .. .. I use to have to dip my hands in ice water after lifting. But I have tiny hands. It's bit harder if you have small hands.