Do crunches flatten belly?

I know spot reduction is impossible,I know cardio reduces fat. But my question is not that. Do crunches help in flattening the belly despite the fat? With fat, the belly protrudes...but with fat+crunches! will the belly stop sticking out and look flatter? So that even with fat, there is the illusion of a flat looking belly....

kinda, but not really. You can have rock hard abs still have a big gut/belly. More of an issue of overall body fat and weight.

Good to work on both, to work on your core overall, but if desired result is flat stomach or even that elusive 6-pack...nutrition and dropping some weight will be your keys...

Crunches build the muscles, muscles will increase metabolism and help burn that fat but you need some cardio to help you burn that fat. Yeah its too bad you can just press a button remove fat from this place please.

• 2 weeks later...

No, and if you already have some weight around the ends then having super developed abs will make it look even worse. Less fat works the best. eating smaller portions will help naturally vacuum the midsection by holding less girth... some actually swear by the stomach vacuum technique and say it takes off 2 or 3 inches at the navel if trained correctly (personally I like it but I never measure at the navel).